For those using formula - uk

BeautifulD

Mum to 3 and TTC #4
Reaction score
Hi ladies,
For various reasons I will be bottle feeding little man. When I had my girls there was little choice when it came to milk and now there seems to be loads of different types :shock:

I'm thinking of going with cow and gate (cow and gate was the only milk my girls settled on and both were colicy) comfort but was interested in others choices and reasons for those choices :)

also going with cow and gate did try aptimel with my first ds but he didnt get on well with it and switched to cow and gate he was alot happier so just going with it this time. ive heard bad things about sma so not trying that and i dont like the packaging of hipp organic i used from 6mnth with ds its not as easy as the others

I used cow and gate with my son. I started on aptimil but he was colicy and hv suggested changing milk which we did. Just used the normal one and he was on that until we weaned. Not sure how I'm feeding this time. Will see what happens when he is born but if/when I ff I will go for cow and gate again as was happy with it last time

Aptimil and cow and gate are both exactly the same, same ingredients, same company, different packaging and prices! Check the box! My sister used to work at a baby clinic and said sma used to make babies windy and constipated so I would never use that personally! I am bfing to start but after I will be going on to cow and gate!

I found sma too rich with my first, so i swapped and for the rest ive used aptamil and had great success and its what this little one will be trying too

also going with cow and gate did try aptimel with my first ds but he didnt get on well with it and switched to cow and gate he was alot happier so just going with it this time. ive heard bad things about sma so not trying that and i dont like the packaging of hipp organic i used from 6mnth with ds its not as easy as the others

Cow and gate and aptimel have the exact same ingredients if you read the back, and are part of the same company.

Comfort milk all the way. Had a very colic ridden baby and even this wasn't full proof but it did make a difference. Anti colic bottles are no good either

Thanks ladies. I had problems with sma with my first, it caused a world of issues with her and ended up changing to cow and gate I never looked back!

I had issues with aptimil and cow and gate with ds1... Didn't agree with his tummy at all. I switched to sma gold which made him a bit refluxy so we switched to sma staydown (purple) and never looked back!
We will be using sma again but trying gold first with purple as our backup option.

All formula are pretty much the same.

I would just go for one that's easily available near you

i plan to bf, but if I cant and baby takes after me...which is quite likely and is lactose intolerant i wont be going for soya formula but rather a hypoallergenic formula such as nutrimel xxxx

Sooooo, if Aptamil & cow & gate ate the same, why do they market two separate brands? *confused*

I used sma with dd 6yrs ago. We didn't look into them just bought that and she was fine with it. This time we are using cow and gate. It's made by the same company as aptimal the only diff being 1 ingredient or aptimal has organic ingredients something like that, and cow and gate is the cheapest!

Cow & Gate and Aptimil are not the same. Similar yes, but they aren't the same.

They have different forumlation make-ups

They both have the same ingredients however aptamil has larger quantities of certain fish oil based ingredients and fatty acids than cow and gate, this doesn't mean it is better as these ingredients were only begrudgingly allowed to be added to formula in 2007-if they are essential then it would have been law that they must be added. Many suggest the only reason these ingredients are in aptamil in larger amounts is because they can justify the extra price and also claim that aptamil is like a gold standard superior formula. Aptamil have also claimed in the past that these extra quantities of these ingredients make their product 'closest to breastmilk' when in fact it takes it a step further way from breastmilk in composition because the balance of their ingredients is even more far removed from it. All formulas in the UK must meet minimum standards end of :D. There are also two other formula brands other than the big four, holle and babynat. These are pricey but they are organic formulas and don't contain the additional ingredients that have been added into formulas in the past few years and which cause negative health effects for some babies. They are not widely available though xx

I will be using cow and gate as thats what i used with my first, it was what i was given in hospital and she got on with it well so will just use that again :)

They both have the same ingredients however aptamil has larger quantities of certain fish oil based ingredients and fatty acids than cow and gate, this doesn't mean it is better as these ingredients were only begrudgingly allowed to be added to formula in 2007-if they are essential then it would have been law that they must be added. Many suggest the only reason these ingredients are in aptamil in larger amounts is because they can justify the extra price and also claim that aptamil is like a gold standard superior formula. Aptamil have also claimed in the past that these extra quantities of these ingredients make their product 'closest to breastmilk' when in fact it takes it a step further way from breastmilk in composition because the balance of their ingredients is even more far removed from it. All formulas in the UK must meet minimum standards end of :D. There are also two other formula brands other than the big four, holle and babynat. These are pricey but they are organic formulas and don't contain the additional ingredients that have been added into formulas in the past few years and which cause negative health effects for some babies. They are not widely available though xx

^^ wss! :flower:
I didn't know all that but just knew when I read the back of both packs I couldn't find a difference and had read on these forums before that they are the same company

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->