For those who have had sweeps

Donna26

Reaction score
Hi-
As some of you might know I have been having really bad period pains for the last 10 days.
I was booked into see my Community MW today and when she looked at me she said I looked like death warmed up (cheers!!!) anyway- 10 nights without sleep takes it's toll.
Because of the pain etc she recommended and early sweep- only if she could feel my cervix and it was doing what it should be doing. Well she said it was really soft and low down and I was 1 cm dilated- so she said I met the protocol for having an early sweep- it was quite painful and increased the period pain no end.
I'm just glad that the last week of pain hasn't been in vain, that my body was doing something
Anyway, I got back home and went to the bathroom and I am bleeding- have any of you ladies who have had a sweep (early on overdue) had any blood after one? It's not bright red- but it's not brown either.

I rang the hosp and they said if it continues after a few hours to go in. The CMW mentioned I would be in pain, but nothing about blood.

I havnt had a sweep so no real experiance but i think its normal to bleed a little, but if it does carry on quite alot then i would go into hospital just to make sure. I hope this does something for you though and you have your baby soon.

Iv been having the same kind of pains for the past 2weeks and have hardly slept, MW even said i was having contractions but they stopped and started, although nobody has checked what my cervix is doing ect. I wish they would but i feel silly asking my midwife :S

Hi,

Yes, I had a sweep yesterday and was told I would spot for a few days. I had blood on wiping yesterday, and today it is more brown than red like it was yesterday. Does that help at all? It is not enough to need a sanitary towel, but I do wear a panty liner. Although I'm not overdue, my cervix was also soft and slightly dilated.

I havnt had one yet but when my midwife was explaining about them she said that bleeding after was normal!! So not to worry!! xxxxxxx

Thats the same as me. I have thought quite a few times i am going into labour because these pains get bad. I dont think the MWs in my area do sweeps. When i had my 1st i had an appt with the MW at 40 + 1 and she didnt mention andything about sweeps just booked me in for induction 10days later. Luckily i had her 2days later :D

I think the blood is normal, as the sweep irritates your cervix. If it doesnt stop or you feel concerned just phone the MW and get checked over. Hope it works for you and you meet your LO real soon.

xx

I havnt had a sweep so no real experiance but i think its normal to bleed a little, but if it does carry on quite alot then i would go into hospital just to make sure. I hope this does something for you though and you have your baby soon.

Iv been having the same kind of pains for the past 2weeks and have hardly slept, MW even said i was having contractions but they stopped and started, although nobody has checked what my cervix is doing ect. I wish they would but i feel silly asking my midwife :S

My contractions stopped too- Today my MW explained that the period pain is in response to the hormone progastalin (sp)- although it softens the cervix- it can also cause period type pains (don't know why I haven't been told this before-esp when I was in hosp last week).
Next time you're in ask for an internal to check your cervix- mine did say at 39wks most first time mum's are still really tightly closed and she can't even reach them- so it sounds like you could be holding your babs soon, seeing as your experiancing the same pain.
-she also said don't be upset if I still haven't gone into labour next week- but i'm just happy someone has explained these pains and my cervix is doing what it should.
Good luck hon!!
D
x

I had a sweep and I bled a lot. Made me panic but it's normal.

Good luck :hugs:

Hi,

Yes, I had a sweep yesterday and was told I would spot for a few days. I had blood on wiping yesterday, and today it is more brown than red like it was yesterday. Does that help at all? It is not enough to need a sanitary towel, but I do wear a panty liner. Although I'm not overdue, my cervix was also soft and slightly dilated.

Thanks hon! - Sounds like it's moving for you too!!:happydance:

My contractions stopped too- Today my MW explained that the period pain is in response to the hormone progastalin (sp)- although it softens the cervix- it can also cause period type pains (don't know why I haven't been told this before-esp when I was in hosp last week).
Next time you're in ask for an internal to check your cervix- mine did say at 39wks most first time mum's are still really tightly closed and she can't even reach them- so it sounds like you could be holding your babs soon, seeing as your experiancing the same pain.
-she also said don't be upset if I still haven't gone into labour next week- but i'm just happy someone has explained these pains and my cervix is doing what it should.
Good luck hon!!
D
x

I had period pains at the front of my bump when i was 20something weeks and went to hospital and they checked my cervix and said its nicely closed tight nothing to worry about the pains are probably stretching pains. But these period pains iv been having for 2weeks now are right deep in my back and much worse than what i had before and go round my lower back along with the painfull tightnings and sharp stabbing pains in my cervix. & paracetamol does nothing!! I did go to hospital but they sent me home saying if baby is going to come i will know about it sooner or later. But i felt they wasnt very helpful and should have checked to see if these pains were doing something down there! I think i might go back in and see what happens this time if i ask.

Good luck hon!!
D
x

I had period pains at the front of my bump when i was 20something weeks and went to hospital and they checked my cervix and said its nicely closed tight nothing to worry about the pains are probably stretching pains. But these period pains iv been having for 2weeks now are right deep in my back and much worse than what i had before and go round my lower back along with the painfull tightnings and sharp stabbing pains in my cervix. & paracetamol does nothing!! I did go to hospital but they sent me home saying if baby is going to come i will know about it sooner or later. But i felt they wasnt very helpful and should have checked to see if these pains were doing something down there! I think i might go back in and see what happens this time if i ask.
-

Def- I found the MW's at the hosp were really concerned with contractions as apposed to period pain. The type of pain you're in now is exactly what I am feeling. The MW at the hosp said last week she wouldn't do an internal as I hadn't registered any contractions- and the same as you- i'll know about it when it comes.

It was the community midwife who did the sweep today- it may be because she has seen me through the pregnancy and seemed to get a shock when she saw me today ( I really didn't think I looked THAT bad, just a little tired)

On the plus side- yes you could wait as it most prob is the same thing as me- you reacting to the pograstalin that is softening the cervix- but if it is affecting you like sleep etc, I would maybe ask for a "status" update on your cervix! Then you may be able to get a sweep and it may work for you. I'm not expecting to go into labour- just relieved that things are moving along nicely.

bleeding has stopped now, but by God the pain is bad (she warned me the pain would be intense for the next few days)

Good luck Hon!
D
x

Def- I found the MW's at the hosp were really concerned with contractions as apposed to period pain. The type of pain you're in now is exactly what I am feeling. The MW at the hosp said last week she wouldn't do an internal as I hadn't registered any contractions- and the same as you- i'll know about it when it comes.

It was the community midwife who did the sweep today- it may be because she has seen me through the pregnancy and seemed to get a shock when she saw me today ( I really didn't think I looked THAT bad, just a little tired)

On the plus side- yes you could wait as it most prob is the same thing as me- you reacting to the pograstalin that is softening the cervix- but if it is affecting you like sleep etc, I would maybe ask for a "status" update on your cervix! Then you may be able to get a sweep and it may work for you. I'm not expecting to go into labour- just relieved that things are moving along nicely.

bleeding has stopped now, but by God the pain is bad (she warned me the pain would be intense for the next few days)

Good luck Hon!
D
x

Aw i hope it does work for you. I think there is more chance of it working if your cervix and body is doing something already which seems like it is. Im seeing my midwife on friday and she is lovely so maybe ill explain all to her and she may check and even do a sweep if i ask haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->