For those who resumed periods while exclusively breastfeeding...

ttc126

Mom of Boys
Reaction score
Go! I have a question for those of you who resumed periods during breastfeeding...

When did it start?
Was it normal flow?
What was your cycle length?

The reason i ask is I had a D&C for retained placenta at 3 weeks postpartum. I resumed my period at 6 weeks postpartum. It was light than normal but still red blood. Now on cycle day 36 (11 weeks pp), i started light pink and very light creamy brown spotting. I had pms, I have cramps like normal but it's now day 4 of this odd spotting.

Do any of you have similar experiences? I know my hormones are off from breastfeeding, but I'm concerned the D&C caused scarring and that's why I'm having the odd period now. I'm sure it seems crazy to worry about cycles this soon, but i need to know if this is a normal breastfeeding period or not...

I had a c-section so I bled slowly for 9-10 weeks. My period came back about 6 month pp. I would bleed every other week or so. Sometimes it was very light spotting, sometimes it was heavier, sometimes it was in between. It went on for 3-4 months. I went on the mini pill to regulate my bleeding but it got worse so I quit taking it. Then my cycle started up like a normal cycle. It sucked up until then! My lo was 10 months old before the bleeding stopped being all over the place. I hope it isn't as long for you!

Thank you so much djbutton01. I just have myself so worked up as i have zero faith or trust in my OB. I have a real fear that he was too aggressive with the D&C and may have caused damage...

Thank you for sharing your experience :)

No problem! After my first child I only bled for 2 weeks and breast fed for 7 weeks. I got a period when he was 4 months old and didn't have another period for 3 years! My first, I barely bled. My second, I bled all the time. I'm still breast feeding my second and she'll be 1 next week. Go figure huh? :)

I had a c-section and bled for about 8 weeks, but it seemed like after the first bit where it was heavy it would get light then heavy and then light etc unexpectedly, so not like a normal period or anything. I would think I was done bleeding and then I would start again.

I exclusively breastfeed and bed share (which also affects periods) and got my period back when dd was about a year old. They were not very regular at first and would range from coming every 3 weeks to 35 days. My periods seem to be a bit lighter than pre-pregnancy. (before dd I was very regular, 28 day cycle, 7 day period) and now that she is older it was every 30-33 days for 6 days.

Hopefully all is well but if you have concerns then maybe go see another doctor, especially since you don't trust yours. Good luck. :)

Thank you Brieanna! I ended up making an appointment with a different gynecologist and when i explained what was happening on the phone with the office, they got me in for next Tuesday.

I will let you ladies know how it goes.

I had a normal delivery no retained placenta had quite heavy bleeding until 6 weeks then on off spotting until 10 weeks then a touch of spotting every two weeks until my period returned properly when he was 5 months xx

Thank you summer rain! It's so nice to hear you had spotting too! Thank you for sharing that with me! I feel a little less uneasy now. :)

Thank you summer rain! It's so nice to hear you had spotting too! Thank you for sharing that with me! I feel a little less uneasy now. :)

I've had it with all mine, had normal Pap smears so nothing sinister, have heard it may be caused by slightly low progesterone. With second youngest my cycles didn't return until he was 10 months and then they were all over the place with spotting in between. I then started taking b6, 50mg a day as we were TTC-it can affect supply in some cases so waited until he was 1.5 years old to start. It didn't affect supply and returned my cycles to normal almost immediately and got pregnant on the second cycle I took the b6. If I end up with the same issue again and it doesn't resolve I will take the b6 again xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->