for those who use reusable nappies..

mrscookie

Mama and expecting
Reaction score
I bought 15 bum genius ones, but know I will need more if I am to do a wash every other day (suggested on some website that they are to be washed every other day apparently)

how many do you use per day, whats your washing routine with them, what do you do with a nappy pail? Do you need to soak or is it just for storage until you wash them?
I need to be fully prepared for this lol.
xxx

i've not used mine yet, but i would recommend using disposables at first, katie goes thru so many a day and its so so runny!!

I use terry towels with Ally so they won't be as good as yours. But basically, I find that I need to change him every 2 hours. I put him in pampers at night as he sleeps for so long (13+ hrs) so during the day I use approx 5 nappies. If they are pooey I soak them in hot water and nappy soak. If they're just wet, I just put them in the bucket dry. I wouldn't recommend boots nappy soak. it's rubbish (but we bought loads at once so I don't know what a good one is!)

I do a wash every other day and I put the nappy soak in with the normal washing powder. I usually don't put them with anything else in the wash but if there's space I'll put other things in there too (I don't suppose it's particularly hygenic but nevermind!)

Good luck. Oh and you might want to get some disposables in for the first few weeks just til you get settled in with your baby at home. I would have found it impossible to just be using reusables to start with.

I have 6 pairs of diaper pants (Bummis) and more than 30 (36, i think?) of the actual cotton diapers that go inside. What we do is this:
I have two buckets as diaper pails. I fill them with water and pour in some baking soda, which eliminates the odours and makes later washing easier.
I then do a quick prewash by hand for the poopy ones and throw everything in the washing machine.
I do the washing a couple of times a week only.

We use disposables for the night, as they feel much drier for longer. The same if we go out for any length of time.

I would also recommend that you use disposables in the very beginning, at least until the tarry, black meconium has cleared.

when LO was newborn until 2 months old or so i feel the reusable nappies are too rough for his skin and always left red mark on his legs and if i dont put them tight enough, they would leak. So i stop using them
I used disposable at night then and reusable during the day, and we used to use about 15 nappies within 24hours
after 2 months I started using the reusable during the day again and it seemed better, save a bit of money, but i got so much to do in the house; company website... 2 dogs, housework, so i only use disposable nappies now and i use about 7 a day (24 hours)

this is how i cleaned the reusable nappies; i have a bucket with water and a bit of bleach in it,then i put the dirty soaker pads in it overnight and i rinsed them in the morning (mil advice me about using bleach,lucky LO didn;t get a rash from it but i dont like using it,lol)

i own about 8 fuzzi bunz. i bought 1 bum genius but personally i'ma fuzzi bunz gurl.

Anyway, I only use washables during the day and on days when i'm home with baby. So maybe 3 or 4 a day. I didnt use them for the first 3 or 4 weeks as baby's bum was just too small for them.
When out i use disposables as i've found we can have occasional leaks with washables.
I tend to change them every 2 or 3 hours, but my baby is older and doesnt poo a lot - newborns tend to poop after every feed (least mine did) whereas now he goes every other day.
I "wet pail" as I fnd this avoids stains from poop. I had worried about the smelly water but it really doesnt smell and the nappies are only ever soaking for one day or two. Use a mesh bag in the bucket to put the nappies in - makes draining the water much easier.
I use mothercare nappy soak in the water and again in the washing machine when washing. I only wash at 40 unless baby gets ill or something. Then I'll give it a hot wash.

warning - watch the clothes you buy as mode4rn clothes are designed to be worn with slim disposable nappies. I tend to buy vest etc a size larger than needed to be able to fit over the washables (eg. 6 month vests @ 3 months old). And I put baby in stretchy leggins, baby gros or soft trousers to fit over the nappies. Jeans or hard fabric trousers wont fit. Also, there's no chance of him fitting in his winter snow suit with a washable on.
I was maybe every other day, sometimes daily.

I dry pail as I've heard that soaking isn't really needed and can damage some of the shaped nappies. Kaya eats solids now so her poo stinks but if you put tea tree oil in the pail it doesn't really smell. Staining's not really a problem as you can put the nappies on the line in the sun and that bleaches them. We used disposibles for the first few weeks and changed her every couple of hours and a couple of times at night as well. I've always used disposibles at night as Kaya was a heavy wetter, I found that newborn poo escapes from both disposibles and reusibles equally.

i want to use cloth so bad but i cant afford a good supply :(

I use good old terry nappies and i love them! I use two pails one for soaking and one for taking them out and putting in there until I have enough for a wash. I put them on 60 and then in tumbly after until there really hot as its not very sunny at the moment! I use the plastic pants but dont get the ones which dont have cotton around the edges as those ones leave red marks I think theyre the mothercare ones rather than the Boots one. PS the terry squares are about £10 for 6 and I used only 20 at first. I use biodegradable nappies when i am out and so far no nappy rash at all!

thanks so much for the responses ladies, your all really helpful :D
I have a nice stock of disposables ready, so I may wait and see how the bum genius fit after the first couple of weeks, then If its a no go I will wait a little longer. Thankyou so much
xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->