? for Those Who've Had an Ectopic

andella95

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've had multiple miscarriages and was so happy to get another BFP only 4 weeks after my last MC started. My doctor had me do some bloodwork to check for recurrent miscarriage problems, progesterone, beta levels, and sent me for a scan.

On Tuesday March 15th, my beta was 201 and they sent me for a scan before I had my results back. After getting the results of the scan, it was considered possible ectopic because they could see some sort of a small "mass" in my tube.

Beta results three days later were 741 and I have another scan tomorrow morning to get more answers.

My question is this: with your ectopic, did you have normal early pregnancy cramping (like AF cramps)? They told me to go to the ER if I have any pain, but I've not had any pain that is not right in the middle and it's just like AF cramping, and sometimes when stretching I feel pulling. It pretty much feels like it did with my son at this stage.

Also, I've heard that it can be hard to even see ectopics on US, and so they are generally are diagnosed through lack of a pregnancy in the uterus and HCG not doubling. Does it even seem possible for them to see an ectopic on the US this early? I was probably only 14 or 15 dpo on that day.

Any stories or thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

I am so sorry for your loses and the threatened ectopic. :hugs:

i had an ectopic in Jan. my first beta was a very low 15, 3 days later it was 91! i week later it was 117 with a 'mass' near my left ovary. 2 days follow that (at 5+4) the u/s showed a sac in the left tube, clear as day, about 2cm in diameter, my beta was like 130. i had pains in my left side at 5+0 and they were a lot worse after each u/s (they wanded me forever). the pain was very distinct and concentrated to like a tiny dot, very low (where my tube is). we knew i had only one follie and it was on the left side (very slim chance of a twin being somewhere else). so, for me it was definitely confirmed as tubal. i was given methotrexate, and my numbers went down within a week, started the m/c at 6+2. that is my story.

i have been going to a support group and was talking to another that had a 'ectopic' but she says, her new RE told her she probably didn't (never confirmed with u/s, a very few number of betas were done). she was also given metho. this scared me so i went online. there are a TON of stories where there is no sac seen (anywhere), betas are not doubling, so they give metho, then two days later, they see a sac in the uterus!!!!!!! metho WILL cause birth defects, not might. so if you are given it and it is not ectopic, and the baby doesn't pass away, they will make you abort. sorry this is sooo hard to read (and to write) but i don't want this to happen to anyone else!

please make sure that it is ectopic before getting treatment. also, with the metho, may drs say to wait 3 months after getting it to start TTC so, as a LTTTCer, we don't want to add MORE time than we already have, to get our LO.

many hugs and if you need to talk, i am here.

oh, and i had lots of AF like cramps during my entire 2 week wait and after.

and, i don't think they can see a sac at 14/15 dpo.

Thanks so much for your response.

This is so hard to go through, and I never thought I'd be in this situation. My biggest fear is that they'll push me into doing something and I'll never know for "sure" even though I know that it's dangerous to leave an ectopic too long.

It's so crappy to know I finally "did it" and even though I know that if it is ectopic it has no chance, I still feel like I'll be doing something horrible and harming my own baby that I've been trying for for 2+ years. Logic isn't working right now.

I never thought I'd be so happy for a Monday to come, just so I can get some answers.

I had an ectopic in September 2009. It was treated with methotrexate. I know it's hard but ectopics can rupture at approx 6 weeks so it's very very dangerous. I know a lot of ladies who have lost their tube because of leaving it.

Methotrexate is a strong drug but they don't give it out for no reason, they give it out to try and save your tube. They didn't see anything on my scan until I was about 6 weeks and at that point they needed to do something quickly. They knew it wasn't going to be a successful pregnancy because of the blood levels. Apparently pregnancies are only visible when your levels get to about 2000. It gets very dangerous at that stage though.

As for symptoms I had horrible backache and brown discharge that came and went. x

i think as long as you know for sure that it is not a 'viable pregnancy' (i hate that term). that would be enough 'proof' for me to feel like i did something that needed to be done...

i totally get the feeling of having to hurt your baby that you want so badly. my DH actually had a VERY hard time with this (as did I). logic doesn't rule our thoughts, unfortunately.

how far along are you? they say you can't see a sac until the beta is over like 1000 or something. i know my levels were there before my 5 week scan/beta because my tests kept on getting darker until right before my 1st scan (and i went from feeling pregnant, to not).

i'll be thinking of you and hope you get some answers tomorrow.

I think surely at 14dpo it's too early to see? I am really hoping that you see a uterine pregnancy today. xx

I had my scan today, but the screen was turned around and the tech didn't say ANYTHING other than "Good luck with your pregnancy" at the end. I have no idea what's going on. She said my doctor should have the report by tomorrow.

If she saw an ectopic, I wonder if she'd have just been so calm and let me go like that. Before the scan she asked me about me beta levels and my pregnancies previously. This is driving me nuts.

Hi. I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've had a loss back on Thanksgiving and now just found out I'm pregnant again. This Wednesday will be 5 weeks. Friday is my first u/s to see if the embryo is in the uterus.

Do any of you ladies know what the chances are that the bean would be anywhere else, but where it should be? I don't know much about ectopics or tubals and I'm going to worry until Friday. Having a previous loss makes it worse.

Also, I am sorry to all of you that have had a loss. I hope everything works out for you, Andella.

I had my scan today, but the screen was turned around and the tech didn't say ANYTHING other than "Good luck with your pregnancy" at the end. I have no idea what's going on. She said my doctor should have the report by tomorrow.

If she saw an ectopic, I wonder if she'd have just been so calm and let me go like that. Before the scan she asked me about me beta levels and my pregnancies previously. This is driving me nuts.

Sorry, but WTF, why don't they show you the screen. I mean, either way, I want to see!!! I guess I am lucky, my office has a screen just for the patient on the table. I am so sorry to have to worry until tomorrow. :hugs: But on the other hand, it sounds so positive. I mean, yeah, why would she say what she said if she couldn't see it in the uterus. I am praying hard for you. Hoping for good news tomorrow. Huge hugs and hang in there.

Hi. I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've had a loss back on Thanksgiving and now just found out I'm pregnant again. This Wednesday will be 5 weeks. Friday is my first u/s to see if the embryo is in the uterus.

Do any of you ladies know what the chances are that the bean would be anywhere else, but where it should be? I don't know much about ectopics or tubals and I'm going to worry until Friday. Having a previous loss makes it worse.

Also, I am sorry to all of you that have had a loss. I hope everything works out for you, Andella.

Sorry for your loss and congrats on your BFP. :hugs: The ectopic rate depends on if you are pregnant via IVF or not (IUI/natural/etc all fall into the not cateorgy). Also, if you have had previous STDs or PID, then your rates go up (but in my case, I never have so it happen either way). In general, for non-IVF cycles it is a 1-2% chance, meaning that 1 or 2 out of 100 are ectopic. So very very low. With IVF it is like 4%. After you have an ectopic, on a non-IVF cycle, it goes up to 12%.....

So, try not to be worried about having an ectopic. They are not common. Hope you scan goes wonderful! :hugs:

Update....My doctor called and it's NOT ectopic and there is a sac in my uterus!

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats hun! I am so pleased for you!

Sorry for your loss and congrats on your BFP. :hugs: The ectopic rate depends on if you are pregnant via IVF or not (IUI/natural/etc all fall into the not cateorgy). Also, if you have had previous STDs or PID, then your rates go up (but in my case, I never have so it happen either way). In general, for non-IVF cycles it is a 1-2% chance, meaning that 1 or 2 out of 100 are ectopic. So very very low. With IVF it is like 4%. After you have an ectopic, on a non-IVF cycle, it goes up to 12%.....

So, try not to be worried about having an ectopic. They are not common. Hope you scan goes wonderful! :hugs:

Thanks so much for your reply, 1hopefull! We did IUI and timed BDing. I think because of the last loss I had, that I am thinking of any possible thing that could go wrong as to why it might not work out. I know I shouldn't be that way, but you reassured me quite a bit. Thanks again!:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->