For those WTT for their 1st baby. Would you buy all new stuff or accept second hand

I think for big things like cot, pushchair etc we will buy new, but will be more than happy to accept hand me down clothes xxx

the only thing we bought new was the cotbed and matress and a few clothes......!

I think we would do some and some too. I think for secondhand stuff I would, generally speaking, prefer to have them if they came from a 'known' source such as family or close friends, but I wouldn't necessarily rule stuff out from elsewhere if it was in good condition.

I'm sure I'm going to love shopping for new stuff though - it's just a case of drawing a line where we can't really afford stuff or being sensible if it's something they are only likely to get use out of for for a very short amount of time.

The thing is with having a baby, you panic at first thinking 'How will I afford enough clothing/furniture' etc etc. I certainly did, but you know what? Tonnes of people give you things along the way. Relatives and even strangers in some cases knitted us things, we were given baby items people bought in the sales. Everyone went mad buying us baby clothing. We also had many second hand items passed to us from friends and family members of which we were so grateful. The truth is, babies can be so expensive you need to accept the help thats offered!

I would be more than willing to accept secondhand from close family members, but I also want to buy a few brand new things of my own! Luckily, my nephew was born last year and my brother saved everything for us. That will definetely help out a lot!!

We'd gladly accept anything offered to us and I'd save anything to offer to others after me. Things like clothes which they wear for such little time are great things to pass on to others.

I wanted new furniture set and stoller/car seat. Everything else I was more than willing to take second hand. I got bouncers, clothes, bathtubs etc. But we have A LOT of new stuff too from people, especially clothes. My LO is set until 2 years old - I haven't had to buy any clothes!

Yes yes yes! I bought some stuff from e-bay and was given lots of 2nd hand clothes from friends- bit of a life-saver when clothes get puked down hundreds of times! We bought the nursery furniture from Ikea and decoration from Next which were very reasonable. x

I would happily accept second hand clothes but I would want to buy the pushchair new. Thats one of the things I'm most looking forward to!

Happy to take second hand things (except for the safety stuff like the car seat, mattress etc) but I'm a bit of an avid shopper & I suspect the OH will catch the shopping bug too... :) Oddly I think he will like to buy things for me (like mat clothes etc) coz he likes to treat me (I'm a lucky girl - he gets treated too... I guess he'll get some paternity slippers or something :D )

My ohs grandma has a lot of stuff in her loft from her sons little one ready to pass down to us "when the time comes!" she says!

Idk what exactly she has but i will happily accept 2nd hand.

also i think it will be exciting buying my own new things...

so a bit of both! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->