Forced adoption

Tasha

4kids+2angels+16mc
Reaction score
Another thread made me think that this would be quite an interesting debate. There are not many countries that continue to have forced adoption, but the UK is one of the countries that does. What are your views on it? Are you glad or disgusted that this happens in the UK? Do you agree with it but not how the decision is made, in a closed court or just by one judge? Do you think parents should continue to have some supervised access?

(As I wrote that it was said out loud in a JK style voice :haha: If so call now on... :rofl:)

I don't believe that forced adoption is the right thing, ever. If the parents don't want the child to go, and there is even the slightest chance of them one day being able to 'rectify' the situation, then it should not be a permanent solution.

BUT - as it does happen, I think biological parents should still be able to have access to their child, but obviously not if they had been hurting them and showed no remorse.

I would like to know some cases before I say anything else... going to go have a read!

Didn't even know they had forced adoption...as PP above, will be off to have a read x

Thank you for your thoughts. I believe there are around sixty forced adoptions a year. Not that many in the grand scheme of things but still some what higher than I would of thought.

There have been some cases where it has been later proven that the parents didnt hurt the child/ren but by then its too late, the child/ren have been adopted and thats that.

This is four years old but quite interesting https://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article2317284.ece

I would prefer they invented something inbetween fostering and adoption. I think its better for the children if theyre removed from the situation (and lets face it, they dont take children away for no reason) and they werent passed foster family to foster family. Kids need stability and routine.

& I don't believe the story on targets either.

Wow, just read a few articles, one of Mr and Mrs Sims, and the link you provided OP.

Ah, its so unfair that for some parents, they don't seem to get a chance to defend themselves, and that is just saddening.

I do agree that in some cases, one has to question why some parents were involved with social service in the first place, and this does inevitably raise questions about their parental capabilities, but it should not be a given that just because they come under suspicion, they are guilty, and their children should be removed. Very unfair. Its fine if the children are removed temporarily, but to actually be adopted, with no hope of ever returning to their birth parents? Awful.

Having said that, social services just cannot win either way. On the one hand, they are always under scrutiny for failing to intervene, a la Baby P. On the other hand, they are too heavy handed in their dealings.

I don't pretend to know what their procedures are like, even though I was once interested in a career in social work..but perhaps their needs to be an overhaul of the current system, with alot more transparency. But how much more transparent can they get if the subject of such proceedings are usually children?

The thing with targets as well bugs me. I was talking to some HVs and they were saying they are now cutting back on some services eg. weaning parties etc, so as to meet targets. But working solely on the basis of targets highly compromises the quality of work being done. There seems to be a current pre-occupation with evidencing how much work is being done, via targets, but nobody seems to acknowledge the quality of work done..its all about opening and closing cases in the shortest amount of time, which I can understand from a management and economical point of view, but in practice, thats not how life works.

its a toughie. x

money is a big problem for any solution because a) there are not enough social workers and b) there is not enough money for training and increasing numbers, if there were enough well skilled social workers then they could afford to offer more individual support to families and offer things like protected places where the parents live with the children under supervision while their problems are sorted out, then go on to move back home with daily support and visits from a care worker, but sadly there aren't enough resources and too many children slip through the system as it is that its more about prevention now then cure.

I know its not quite the same thing but you should read up about Georgia Tann and the familys she destroyed.
Its so fascinating yet so heartbreaking, she is the reason why sealed documents on birth certificates where done away with (and the reason they came about in the first place)

I completely disagree with forced adoption, I think its completely immoral no matter what the circumstances. xx

It's a difficult one. My OH and his brother were forced Adoption.

Their mother had mental health issues- depression, Schitzophrenia etc. She wanted to keep them but was not aloowed. Their Aunties and Uncle offered to take them but SS would not allow it.

The 2 older boys got adopted to seperate homes but were allowed to keep contact as they were older (around 12 and 13 i think)

Aaron and his younger brother were 8 and 3 and got adopted together, they got to say 'goodbye' to her which must have been heartbreaking for a child :nope: and then they were adopted with no more contact.

The mother went on to have another boy, she was allowed to keep him.

I think if it was my OH's situation today, more support would be offered to the Mum and she'd maybe have been allowed to keep them.

For my OH i think it was the right thing, as he wouldn't have had much of a life with her (we found her again 3 years ago but sadly she passed away in July)...saying that, his adoptive parents treat him horribly, so I don't think he has come out the other side as a 'winner' either :nope: Poor bloody sod xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->