Formula, Constipation and Water, Oh My!

Kitters

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

DS was BF until 7 weeks when I switched him to Aptamil first milk powder. He took to it quite well but after a week or so he seemed to stop pooping and was quite grizzly in the evenings. I slowly introduced Aptamil comfort and my good baby turned into an absolute dream baby... but now he really seems constipated. The thicker milk consistency keeps him fuller for longer, he seems to really enjoy the different taste/texture, and any grrumpiness is gone. But now his pooping has gone right down to maybe every other day, he strains very hard to get it out, and it is so thick (not 'pebbley' hard but almost adult-like) and green.

A few times I've given him less comfort milk and more normal (I would normally do every other feed), but when I cut down on comfort he is really upset all day, constantly hungry, and a bit refluxy.

He is definitely a hungry baby, and even my midwife was surprised I BFd for 7 weeks with his appetite. I have heard horror stories about 'Hungry Milk' so am reluctant to try that...

I don't know what to do! I think comfort is the best option as he is happiest on this, but the constipation is worrying me - although he doesn't seem bothered by it. Is it ok to alternate between different milks like I've been doing? If I give him water in between feeds to loosen his poo, how much do I give? How do I know I'm not filling him with water and stopping him from getting the food he needs?

I would rather correct the food he is getting than give him something that will manipulate his bowels like a laxative, natural or otherwise.

Sorry for the long post! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If he doesn't seem bothered by it then I wouldn't worry. All babies strain like that when they're pooing in the first few months. It's just part of the process of learning what it feels like to poo, which must be very strange. If his poos aren't pellet like and he doesn't seem to be in pain, then I'd just keep doing what you're doing. My daughter consistently only pooed every 4 days, whether BF or FF until 6 months. Then oddly enough, we started weaning, which usually causes constipation, and she started to go every day. We never did water, but we did find that the tiger in a tree pose helped (google it and you'll see how to do it), as did tummy massage. When she was clearly in discomfort from constipation (usually like day 3 or 4), I would occasionally give her some gripe water. That seemed to help move things along within about 6 hours and she was much more comfortable.

It's fine to give formula fed babies a small amount of cooled boiled water to help relieve constipation - this was recommended to me by both the HV and the doctor at the hospital (baby was in hospital for a different reason). I was told no more than 2oz 2 times a day, between feeds. X

My baby was always pushing out hard poos, straining a ton. I'm surprised she never bled. My pediatrician recommended 1oz juice (apple, pear, or prune) and 1 oz of water. Helped her go for a couple days, then would be constipated again. We are now doing traditional weaning and I've no poo issues since

My DD2 is on aptimel comfort milk too and her poos are also thick and green, apparently the colour is a side effect of the milk. She's piling weight on so I'm not concerned. Occasionally gets a bit blocked up in which case I use an infant suppository. Maybe once every three wks. Stick with the comfort milk :) x

Honestly, I'd stop alternating between milks and stick with the comfort, my little boy was on comfort milk from about 6 weeks to 6 months, it really helped him. I'd stick to one milk though definitely, let his tummy get used to it.
About 2oz of cooled boiled water should help, I also found gently massaging tummy and cycling his legs and pushing them up helped him x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->