formula dilema

Naimi

Reaction score
Hi Girls, I'm not sure what to do about the formula that I give Matthew, here's my problem, any advice would be appreciated.

I breast fed for a very short time, 5 days I think and then I put him on Farleys. This was what I gave both my girls so just made sense to get it again. However he was extreamly constipated and it really sounded painful for him to poo, I believe this was because Farleys is quite thick. So I changed to Aptamil as it's meant to be closer to breast milk and I thought it would help his digestion. Anyway, he's been on it now for 5 weeks and everything was going okay until as of last week his poo is now really wet and runny. He's also hungry after 2 hours instead of going 3 and I really don't think I should be feeding him every 2 hours. So, I switched back to Farleys thinking surely now his body should be able to handle Farleys and it might actually help make his poo thicker, but he's started having all the old complaints he did with Farleys the first time, belly ache and trouble poo'ing.

So my dilema is .... do I stick with Aptamil and maybe get the No2 one for hungrier babies or do I switch to another milk all together. I don't know whether its bad for them to keep switching. What you think?

i've been reading other formula posts and everyone here seems to use SMA or cow & gate .... you on the pay roll ?? LOL :)

I'd prob try him on the Number 2 and if thats no good poss try him on C&G comfort?

Noah's been on all sorts of milk, he was on C&G premium but couldn't seem to keep it down, then he went on Comfort and was able to keep it down but his wind & poo was awful & he was getting really bad tummy ache, then I went on to aptimil and for a while he was ok but now he's gone to being sick again so now he's on SMA white.

Is farleys thicker compared to other milks?

xx

I have read (can't remember where) that farleys is a thicker formula and is harder for the body to digest. But I guess each baby is different.

I dont mind trying a new formula all together but wasn't sure if that would do more harm than good.

hi naimi, i breastfed my little girl for the first 4 days then switched to aptamil due to her breathing probs ive also noticed that she gets days where she is hungrier than usual like every 2 to 3 hours does matthew take 4oz? coz Rhiannon does and she is only 2 weeks 5 days so i also dont know whether to change to #2 milk for hungrier babies....

My Caitlin still likes to keep Mummy on her toes and feed every 3 hours - mostly anyway b ut appears to be settling more at night and I moved her to C&G stage 2 :D

Thankfully no matter what he's like during the day with his feeds, he still has his last feed at about 10-10.30pm and then will sleep right through until 5am. I then cuddle him in bed till about 6am and then we get up.

Welshcake, yes Matthew is on 4oz per feed and sometimes will only take 3 of that, but I can't get him to take anymore than that. He seems full and definitely doesn't want anymore but does seem to get hungry between 2 and 2.5 hours later. I'm thinking of moving to the Aptamil no2, going to get some cartons of it first and give it a try for a few feeds. I don't want to pay the £8 a tub if it makes him sick or gives him tummy ache. I think the cartons are 52p and will do 2 feeds.

Naimi xx

I breast fed Lucy for 3 months then put her on SMA Gold as I put in the other thread I used Aptimil with Rebecca but it upset her tummmy etc and is renowned for it so she went on SMA Gold too!

They do not recommend hugry baby milk aka stage 2 until 6 months as this is a weaning milk-my hv told me this yesterday as I was going to put Lucy on it!

BTW Lucy feeds hourly and hardly sleeps at all during the day and is now horrendous at night!:hissy:

naimi just been in chemist nr me and they have an aptamil that is a first milk but its an easy digest formula... ive got it for Rhiannon to try after i finish the tub we are on, didnt know if u knew about it if or if u wanted to try matthew on it... it has the same nutritions as plain aptamil but its just easier to digest, its in a pale blue (practically white) tin and has a yellow shield on the front with easy digest on it, its the same price as plain aptamil too. X

P.S the "chemist" nr me is Boots dont know if these are the only ones who stock it, but i havent seen it in tesco/asda/lloyds pharmacy etc.

Thanks girls.

My health visitor said the same about stage 2 formula, but I thought she was just being over cautious because when i asked, Matthew was only 3 weeks old. However I know a lot of people that do use is already, (yes wobs, your one of them lol). Maybe I'm over thinking it to much, even with my 3rd baby I still worry about everything :) I have half a tub of Aptamil first left so I'll use that and maybe just switch to another milk but stay with stage 1 for a while longer. Also I might give the Avent no2 teats a try, perhaps then he'll take 5oz instead of 4 and then not want to be fed before the 3 hours. I thought by now he would be going 4 hours not wanting it after 2.

naimi x

ps.... KX I love your daughters name but i'm a little biased .... my girls are called Katie and Lucy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->