• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Formula Fed Baby--Gross Poop Question!!

SoBlessedMama

Reaction score
Okay--our almost 8 week old son has been exclusively formula fed. He is a happy, easy going baby. He had some gas issues at first, so we swapped out formulas until we found one that he tolerates well. He's been on this formula (Gerber Good Start) for about two weeks now, and has done great!

As a general rule, he poops once a day. But the past few days, he's been pooping 2-3 times a day. I assumed he was finally just regulating completely on the formula. But his poop now looks (gross TMI) like yellowish green mucous with cottage cheese-like chunks in it.

I know baby poop can run the gamut of color and texture. But does anyone have any thoughts? The mucous makes me automatically think virus or infection. But he has no fever, isn't fussy, and acts completely normal. He has been a little more sleepy, but he does that every few weeks, which I always attribute to growth spurts.

I left a message with my doctor, but we have an appointment next week, anyway. Any thoughts on if I should just wait it out? I feel silly bringing him in since he obviously feels fine. Just a little worried about the mucous. Thanks in advance for any replies! : )

My little one has poop like this when she is teething as she dribbles/produces more saliva. Could your little one be teething?

Thank you for the reply!!! : )
I doubt he's teething since he's so young (almost 2 months.) But a stomach virus has been going around our town. My four year old and I both had it over the weekend. I'm thinking maybe little guy had a small touch of it? His diaper this morning looked much less "mucousy."

My little guy has poops like this sometimes, though we are dealing with him maybe pooping once a day if we are lucky but usually every other day. We ended up having to use gas drops. But his poops look like that from time to time. Started really when he started producing more saliva which was about a week and half ago (he's 7 weeks old tomorrow), and surprisingly, he's teething too (grabbing things and gnawing on them as opposed to sucking). It should be normal, but if you are worried at all, it does not hurt to call his pedi to see what they think. He's not running a temp or anything?

Thanks, Selaphyna! No, no fever, and he has acted completely normal. His poop looked a SLIGHT bit less mucousy this morning. He has a doctor's appointment on Friday, anyway, so unless he starts acting off, or runs a fever, we will wait it out and ask his doc. : )

He does gnaw on things sometimes--do you ladies really think he might start teething this early? DS1 didn't get his first tooth until 10 months lol, so I just thought this early was crazy!

His gums may be bothering him, but he may not cut his first tooth for at least another 3-4 months.

DS1 started teething early too, around 2 months, but didn't cut first tooth until I think around 5 or 6 months (he's almost 12, kind of hard to remember lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->