Forum grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
K, been holding this one in for a long time, but I've decided to post this in hopes that it will help. It's not meant to antagonize!

I don't know if there are others out there who have a hard time taking the words of the post seriously (or even reading it) if there is rampant misuse of grammar, but I do.

-- "their" vs. "they're" vs. "there" --

YES:
*Their* dog won't stop barking.
*They're* going to Disneyland next month.
I placed the coffee cup over *there.*

NO:
I wonder why their being so mean.
There baby isn't as cute as mine.

-- "your" vs. "you're" --

YES:
*You're* having a baby. Best wishes to you and *your* family!

NO:
Your right--you're MIL has no right saying that!

-- ' --

Apostrophes should never be used to make something plural, only to indicate possession. I am guilty of this! As with any drug, I've recently kicked the habit and want to help others!

YES:
I've had two BFPs but they ended in chemicals.

NO:
I've gotten two BFN's but hopefully within the next two month's my BFP will come.

-- definitely --

YES:
definitely

NO:
definatly
definetely

-- its --

There is no apostrophe in the possessive form of 'it.' I know this violates absolutely every rule of grammar, but it's true!

YES:
The embryo has shed its yolk sac, and it's now closer to being a fetus.

NO:
That baby is cute but I wonder what it's gender is.

I say this with love, and to help! When we make a post, we all want to be taken seriously but sometimes grammar can be a barrier to that.

This made me smile lol! I am the same - my punctuation etc isn't perfect but some posts I just can't read. 'Text speak' annoys me even more, I refuse to read it :haha:

Except 'lol' obviously, that's the only one I allow :rofl:

I would reply to this post but I'm too scared to use the incorrect grammar.

Text speak I have no time for but at times I'm in a rush so don't always use the correct grammar.

This made me smile lol! I am the same - my punctuation etc isn't perfect but some posts I just can't read. 'Text speak' annoys me even more, I refuse to read it :haha:

I am annoyed by text speak too, but I'll tolerate it because I realize that some folks are typing from their phone and iPhone or not, it's annoying to type huge forum posts from a teeny keyboard!

:p

Often people are typing with one hand or running after a toddler so may not be as perfect with their punctuation as they normally would,well thats my excuse anyway! Seriously though, chill out! It's not an English exam, it's a friendly forum where people come for advice, talk with friends etc :shrug:

To be honest,I come on here to talk to friendly people...not to be the grammar police :shrug:

Often people are typing with one hand or running after a toddler so may not be as perfect with their punctuation as they normally would,well thats my excuse anyway! Seriously though, chill out! It's not an English exam, it's a friendly forum where people come for advice, talk with friends etc :shrug:

As I said, it's meant to help. I figured if folks are using incorrect grammar here, they're probably using it in other places too and bad grammar usage can cause a person to be judged or for their statements to be dismissed. I don't think it hurts anybody to point out some of the most common grammatical faux-pas.

Some things do irritate me, but, as someone who is dyslexic and uses an iPad which, flipping autocorrects everything I must make a huge amount or mistakes.

I do know how to use words correctly, but sometimes I just write without thinking.

Sorry but this thread will antagonise and insult.

BabyandBump asks only that

All public messages, posts, titles and signatures are limited to the English language.
Messages using TXT SPK (text speak) or made entirely in CAPITAL LETTERS are not permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->