Freaking out: Lead paint positive?? Anyone else live in an older home?

Rebecca1030

Reaction score
I live in a home built in the 1920's so it was safe to assume there would be some lead paint. But it has been remodeled quite a bit and all woodwork has been repainted (not stripped). We had someone come out today to test the house for lead and all woodwork is positive as well as doors and windows. I am worried mostly about the doors due to the friction causing them to chip. I am almost 26 weeks and I am so scared that I am exposing my unborn baby to lead. Also feeling overwhelmed about what to do before he is born. Anyone else have any advice or experience? Having a major freakout.

My house was built in the 1890s and it didn't even occur to me! I imagine it would only be tiny amounts unless you're sanding it and breathing it in everyday. Loads of people live in older houses and have babies without any issues. Have a chat to your midwife if you're worried though.

If you think about it this way, everyone back then lived in houses with lead paint, and how many of them had babies IN those houses?
They survived :) you should be fine.

Get yourself tested (simple blood draw) - as you don't lick your fingers, your levels would probably be fine...But it is a worry for a crawling baby/toddler, and I personally would move out rather than try to fix it, if I could possibly afford it.

I've been trying to think logically about it and how many houses probably have lead in them in our area and how many kids turned out just fine. It is definitely difficult not to freak out though.

Moving is not in the cards now. Just not financially feasible and most of the homes in our area are really old. Probably would have the same issue. We will definitely have to take care of it though. I think we will encapsulate the paint that is in good shape and strip and repaint the doors that are not. It is all so overwhelming but we are trying to figure out a plan of action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->