• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Freezing Mashed Potato??

E

emmad339

I have just started weaning my little 'uns and I am pretty clueless when it comes to freezing foods. Is it okay to freeze mashed potato and if so, I assume I would just take it out the night before to defrost?? Also, how well would I need to re-heat it before giving it to my babies. I usually tend to mix some in with some of the shop bought jars - my son loves it - but I havn't tried freezing it yet - sorry if I sound totally dense but I'm no cook lol

I read a tip with mashed potato - don't use a blender, as it turns it into a sticky mess. Instead, hand mash it as much as you can, and then push it through a metal sieve to make it into a puree.

That said, I blend mine - I just put up with the stickiness, I don't have the patience for the latter method :D

I puree-feed at about 3pm; I take the ice-cubes of puree out of the freezer about 8am, by mid-afternoon they've defrosted. I then nuke them (microwave) to get them heated through, and leave them to cool down to feed. This may be wrong, I'm just saying what I do!

like marleysgirl seid white potato shouldnt be blended but you can blend sweet potato.

If you frezze it put in ice cub trays then frezze. If you take it out the night befor feeding you just have to warm it so its warm or you can heat it from frozen but heat it up well and let it cool.

I do whizz mine in the blender as well. I take mine out the night before (as I tend to forget if I leave it till the morning) and I just heat it lightly (15-20secs in micro) as Georgia doesn't have the patience to wait for it to cool back down again and I'm rarely ready to heat it in advance!

I do whizz mine in the blender as well. I take mine out the night before (as I tend to forget if I leave it till the morning) and I just heat it lightly (15-20secs in micro) as Georgia doesn't have the patience to wait for it to cool back down again and I'm rarely ready to heat it in advance!

I used to so this but my HV told me off, apparently if you're heating anything up for babies that has been cooked before it should always be heated to piping hot then cooled down to kill any bugs - especially so if the food was frozen or chilled after being mashed/ pureed as this process incorporates air into the food which contains bacteria which multiply rapidly in food that isn't properly reheated, particularly any food that contains starches - so any rice, pasta, potato, sweet potato, parsnip, carrotts etc. (so virtually all my purees)

Scared me a bit when I read the leaflet about reheating foods as some of the bugs that grow in starchy foods can be very serious for LOs!

I've just made mashed carrot and potato and thinned with breastmilk. Noah likes it lumpy so I dont blend but I read it goes like wallpaper paste when blended :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->