From being high risk to having a water birth!

happymummax

Reaction score
A little bit of back ground :

I've got a minor heart murmur/abnormality (Wolff Parkinson's white) which has caused me palpitations, fainting and chest pain leading to hospitalisation in the past.

So my pregnancy/birth was classed as high risk and throughout my pregnancy all I'd heard about from different doctors were drips, inductions, monitors, epidurals, c-sections and assisted birth. This left me feeling very out of control but I didn't voice my fears (of labouring on my back strapped to a monitor unable to move) as I didn't want to be a 'difficult patient'.

In my consultants appointment last week I finally snapped and let her know of my fears, my spd is so painful baths are the only thing that provide me pain relief, that Ill be unable to labor and end up with an emergency c-section which is the last thing anyone would want. Anyway... The consultant calmly said the cardiologist (for my heart condition) is happy with me and she'll transfer me to the MLU for a water birth if I want :D

Has anybody had any experience of being classed as a high risk pregnancy/birth but being allowed to birth on a MLU?
Are the midwives more attentive or do they treat you as they do everyone else?

Should also say the MLU is part of the hospital so if me or my girl require urgent medical attention it'll be there xx

Hi, mine was a completely different issue (shoulder dystocia) but yes! And I had a great 2nd birth (with mild dystocia again but not true dystocia). I was so happy for it! Sorry, I had a home birth so I'm not sure how they treat you there, but here, they used extra caution for me :) You're attached to a hospital anyways, so a low stress environment makes the most sense!

I don't have any direct experience, but just wanted to assure you that even if you end up being induced, having all the monitors, hooked up to who knows what up the whazoo you will still do fine. I had 3 natural births, one at a birth center and two at home and was planning my 4th delivery to be another home water birth when suddenly my pregnancy became high risk. I had to be induced and was at high risk for c-section. I had all the interventions and monitors, was flat on my back stuck in bed. It was completely opposite what I had planned but I still had a wonderful and fulfilling birth (I was able to catch my baby as she was born which was pretty cool!!). So even if things don't work out and you need to deliver in a high risk setting, you can still have a good experience. Not all hospital inductions are nightmares.

I'm glad that you got some reassurance that you can still have the birth you want and it's really reassuring that it is attached to the hospital should you need it. You will do great, mama. good luck!!

Thank you :) I'm really hoping to go naturally, I'm seeing the consultant again tomorrow just for a quick check up to see if I still want to go a-head and see how I'm physically coping - bubs is doing great :D xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->