From co-sleeping to cotbed...

mrsbeanbump

Dylan's Mum & w/Bump#2!
Reaction score
Hi!! I've been co-sleeping for several weeks now with Dylan. Initially he was in moses basket but after his first night feed he wouldn't settle again and would come into bed with me. Then for the last couple weeks he's outgrown his moses basket and is now exclusively co-sleeping.

Now we're ready for him to move into his room & cotbed. We have angelcare monitor all setup and ready to go, but as soon as lo's head hits the mattress he screams!! He'll sleep in his travel cot downstairs and happily snooze in our bed. How can I get him to sleep in his own bed!!??

This is a difficult one. I would imagine that the cotbed seems big and daunting when he's used to sleeping with you? Were you aware that the FSID guidelines were for lo to sleep in your room until at least 6 months of age? (Either co-sleeping or in a cot/crib next to the bed).
Personally I would want to wait a while longer, but I guess if you're eager for him to be in his own room, then you'll just need to do it slowly? Could you maybe bring the travel cot upstairs for a while & start by settling him in there at night? xx

I was going to say the same things as BabyHaines, to be honest! We had quite similar problems with Bethan; she co-slept in with us until she was 6 months, because she just wouldn't sleep on her own (and I love my baby cuddles :blush:). But we started putting her into her cotbed at 6 months(ish), by letting her play in it during the day, so she was used to it. I think the key to it, is just taking it slowly. We kept her cotbed in our room, though, so when she woke up, she could see us; I think that really helped too.

Good luck! :thumbup:

I have just put my LO into a bed and the only way I could do it was to get him to fall asleep in the cot, by doing the baby whisperer pick up/put down method. If he falls asleep in my arms there's no chance of him going in!

I know other people who have built nests but obviously that has some suffocation risk so never tried myself but worked for others. Also get your LO to take naps in there as well if you can.

Saying that 6 weeks is still very young, your LO probably just wants to be where he thinks he should be, next to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->