Fruit juice, amount of food, I have no idea! Please help. Also cups!

charlie07

Reaction score
Evening all

I've got a couple of questions. We are not ready for weaning yet, but want to start thinking about everything so I am on the ball when the time comes.

1 - I read to start giving fruit juice, watered down after 4 or 5 months. Is this true? And if yes, what fruit juice? Are we talking about Fresh juice, like, for example, fresh orange juice or Apple juice? We are not talking about cordial are we?? Hope it's the fresh stuff as we can't get cordial here (only strong stuff which I would NEVER give to Gabbi).

2 - I am going to make all my blended food for Gabbi, except maybe for the odd jar if we are out and about. So, I've read up on the different foods for each age, BUT I have yet to read exactly how much for each age. One book I have says freeze food in an ice cube tray and put in a bag once frozen, mix different foods for variation, BUT how much do I give??

Any information you can give would be great, thanks girls x

Oh one other thing, when did you give your little one a cup with water/juice for the first time? Gabbi is holding things, but no control, not surprising, so when should I start? Should I get a cup and just let her play with it for a while or start with water now?

Thanks

If you have to give juice at all then make it fresh juice not cordial. Watered down to 1 part juice to 3 or 4 parts water (cooled boiled water). It's better if you can try to get your LO used to drinking just water between meals (boring I know but better for them).

When you start to wean it's better to start with baby cereal, porridge or rice (most babies hate rice though) before you move on to fruit & veg purees. Maybe start with 1 or 2 teaspoons of cereal mixed with their usual milk for their breakfast. Once they get used to cereal and are used to feeding from a spoon you can move on to purees as their second meal. I started Lewis on 2 icecube blocks of puree, he didn't eat it all but rather do too much than him still be hungry and having to defrost more!!

Good luck with the weaning x

I'd say start with baby rice or porridge too as they're blander. I think just start with 1 cube and then work up. You can also mix the cubes with baby rice. I think my friend said her baby was having 6 cubes quite early into weaning. Once you start though, you'll just be guided by Gabbi's appetite.

As for the liquids and stuff, I'd start giving the beaker to her now to play with. Alasdair took AGES to get the hang of his and still only drinks from one specific one. Also, I'd try her with plain water first as if you can get her to drink that, it's better. We have to add a tiny bit of pure apple juice to Ally's water because he just won't take it if we don't. I'm going to try and wean him off it but I suppose the tiny amount we put in isn't a mega issue.

Thank you thank you thank you, that helps me sooooo much. You know, the books say make them in ice cube tray but mention nothing about how much to start with OR even how much they SHOULD/COULD eat at what age. I know each baby is different but a guide would be great, and you girls have given me that, thank you.

Gabbi already drinks water so I will buy a cup and when she starts getting the hang of it, I'll put water in.We'd probably have a fountain going on if I fill it now!! lol

Thank you again xx

Im keeping it really simple we started on wednesday and so far Leo has had:

Wed Baby rice
Thu Baby rice
Fri Baby rice and banana
Sat Baby rice and sweet potato puree

Next week I will take the baby rice out but I didnt want him to be hit with a big dose of veg or fruit!

We started over a week ago and the first week I just gave rice cereal, about 2-3 teaspoons mixed with formula, plus she had about 3 ozs to drink too.

A few days ago I started giving a bit of baby applesauce too, I started out with just a tiny bit mixed with her ricecereal and today I gave her a bowl in the morning that had about 2 teaspoons applesauce and 1 teaspoon rice cereal... And I will give her a small bowl of rice cereal at dinner too.

Here we have juice specifically for babies... not sure if you have that there? But you water it down.

Our pediatrician said to start giving solids at around 6 months, which is what most books say, but we will be having a chat with her when we see her in a couple of weeks. Gabbi is still very happy with milk, not crying for more, but she is getting whingey quicker, she starts moaning at about 3 hours, BUT since she suffered with reflux, I make sure she goes 3 1/2 hours before feeding again, so may up a feed and see how we go.

Thanks for the info girls, I am making a list, very helpful x

Each to their own... I cant imagine waiting until 6 months though.

Re the amounts of food:
I started by putting out 5 heaped weaning spoons worth of food or 1/3 of a jar. I give Mark mostly home prepared stuff but when he has had jars I kept the jars and filled them with my own stuff. Mashed down you get approx 1 1/2 medium size carrots in each of the small jars (can't remember what size they are in grams) OR just under half a 400 g tin of pears or peaches. After about 2 wks of tastes my baby would have eaten about one carrot worth or half a tin of fruit worth. Then we started feeding him til he was nearly full and he will take double that.

I haven't frozen anything as it's handy for me to cook him an extra few veg at the same time as doing my own and just mash his down. I fill an empty 900 g ice cream tub with a selection of mashed veg and that lasts him about 5 meals (with meat or heaped tablespoon baked beans added usually.)

i gave my litlun however much he wanted ide just make a bowl half full n he ate what he wanted then when i new how much he ate i reduced it down to the right amount as for the beaker its best to start her with it now cus even tho she struggles get it in her mouth she can play with it and eventually learn how to drink from it i give my little boy cordial but i just put about 1/2 an oz of juice an fill the bottle to the brim with cooled boiled water n he loves it

Well I bought Gabbi a cup last week. I put water in (although grandma insists in juice juice juice!!!!! I will but when I say!!!!! Long story, small rant!).

She held the cup, staring at it,, moving it, great, I helped her put it in her mouth, she was a little unsure but after the third time, she actually drank some water. Very proud of her as it is so different to her bottle teat, she did great. Then she would try to feed herself and bash her in the forehead!! So funny, bless her. Not quite got the hang of knowing where her mouth is lol

Sounds like she's done wonderfully!

I think Grandmas have funny ideas sometimes. My Mum told me to give Alasdair fish fingers...?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->