FTM - Homebirth

Rachie004

Reaction score
Hi girls,

This is my first baby and I have my heart set on having a homebirth, providing that there are no medical issues of course.

I was chatting to my non medically qualified friend yesterday, who hasn't had a baby for 12 years and she said she highly doubted that they would 'allow' me to have a homebirth because it's my first baby?

Is there any truth in that? Does anyone have experience of having a homebirth with their first baby? I feel really disheartened

xx

Your friend is just full of poo. They don't 'allow' you to do anything unless you want to. I had my first at home (birth story is in my sig if you want to read it) and hope to have any future babies at home as well. It was wonderful and I can't imagine having done it any other way. Lots of FTM have home births. Of course, probably not as many as mums who already have children, but that's mostly because for some people it takes a horrible first birth in hospital to make them realise they'd be better off at home. I think if you know it's what you want and what makes you feel most comfortable, then definitely do it! :thumbup: Is there a home birth group in your area? Try and find one. I found that invaluable in the early days when I was planning my birth. Also, have a look for the Homebirthers and Hopefuls group on Facebook. Lots of fab ladies who have had or are planning home births. :thumbup:

I would also second the Facebook page you will get lots of advice and information on there :thumbsup:
But of course you can have your first at home, it's all about making informed choices :)

Thank you so much. I'm not on facebook but I shall look for a local group.

I'll definitely have a read MindUtopia - thank you for sharing it.

xx

Ask your midwife if she knows of any groups?

Nothing I need to add as it has all been covered but I'm excited you've picked a home birth, I'm on the Facebook group, maybe see you around :)

Thanks MarineWag - whatever niggling concerns I had were completely dissolved after I read the homebirth website. I can't imagine anything worse than having the baby in hospital (again, assuming there are no medical issues) - I had to have a repeat blood test at the hospital we'd nominated in the booking appointment and just hated it.

When I say nominate, it went like this;
Midwife: which hospital would you like to use for your pregnancy
Us: Errrrr.....

I've since chosen a different hospital because they have a lovely birth centre but I think I may have been foolish because if there is an issue that means I can't be at home, it probably means I can't be at the birth centre either :dohh:

Are you all ready for your homebirth? I can't believe how close it all is for you, it only feels like a couple of months since you got your BFP, I remember being so thrilled for you :flower:

Thanks MarineWag - whatever niggling concerns I had were completely dissolved after I read the homebirth website. I can't imagine anything worse than having the baby in hospital (again, assuming there are no medical issues) - I had to have a repeat blood test at the hospital we'd nominated in the booking appointment and just hated it.

When I say nominate, it went like this;
Midwife: which hospital would you like to use for your pregnancy
Us: Errrrr.....

I've since chosen a different hospital because they have a lovely birth centre but I think I may have been foolish because if there is an issue that means I can't be at home, it probably means I can't be at the birth centre either :dohh:

Are you all ready for your homebirth? I can't believe how close it all is for you, it only feels like a couple of months since you got your BFP, I remember being so thrilled for you :flower:

You still have plenty of time to change your mind about anything and do any research, just remember if they say anything you are unhappy with i.e. "You can't do this" "you have to do it this way" always question them, always ask around, because especially as a first time mum but for any mum at the mercy of the medical services we tend to get a bit overwhelmed and take everything at face value, just remember you have birth rights :flower:

I think I am although the closer I get I keep thinking "oh my gosh am I really planning on doing this" lol, my next appointment at 36 weeks is the one where we specifically discuss the birth and where hopefully I will know that all is looking good as il have had my last tests and things, so I haven't really bought or done much in way of physically preparing until after that appointment, although I have sorted borrowing a pool from a friend. It's very exciting but a little bit scary, but the thought of this particular hospital terrifies me. It feels very natural and "right" though, I'm not ill so why be in a hospital, that's what I keep saying to myself! Hopefully I will have a lovely birth story to tell you and attempt to impart some wisdom lol x

I keep reading birth stories where women say 'so they had to break my waters' or 'I had to have the pitocin' or 'I had to have the epidural' and it makes me sooo mad - WHY, why did these things HAVE to happen, just because the medical staff said so without any other reason.

I have so much faith in you MarineWag, I know you're going to be just fine :) Exciting! xx

This is my first baby as well and the midwife gave me the homebirth option. Unless you're at high risk I don't see why you couldn't give birth where you want. Your friend clearly doesn't know what she's talking about.

I am considered high risk but only because of my underactive thyroid, I basically just need a few extra blood tests during my pregnancy - I already checked with the midwife and she said that it wouldn't affect my decisions on how or where to birth. I think the label of 'high risk' is quite a broad one! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->