FTM - how much milk production

gaves99

DD May 2014, DSD Aug 2003
Reaction score
So what is normal for milk amounts? I am only breastfeeding and pumping to store. She eats full time from breast and I still pump 10-18 oz per day. Is that normal or not enough. What do u do to keep up milk supply? Thanks ladies!

How often do you pump? Thats inpressive storage!!! I only find time to pump once in the day, if I can be bothered, and the two times I have properly tried I barely got 1oz from each side :dohh:

I think it depends how much you want stored and how long you want to use it for. I have 4oz in the freezer for emergency use and have only needed 2oz in a bottle which I hand expressed and my lo refused to drink from the bottle any way. If you think the older they get the more they need each feed so up to maybe 6oz or something? I'm not very experienced but hopefully someine else will make more sense than me.

I would say that you have above average milk production, probably BECAUSE you are pumping extra. My friend is like this too, she ebf and pumps 20 oz a day for storage.

It just means that you will have more milk than someone who doesn't pump and just nurses. Nothing wrong with that unless you start experiencing oversupply issues...which you'd know right away because it would be terrible!

I didn't pump much at the very beginning but I put away probably 10 oz a day from months 2-6, then 10-15 oz a day from months 6-12, then like 15 oz a day from months 12-15. Then I stopped pumping and just nursed and noticed a HUGE drop in my supply.

Past few days she feeds first thing in am then I pump about 5 oz. She eats about every 3-5 hours (great sleeper..) and I pump again right before bed another 5-7 oz. She's been jumping off, spitting up more and fussy and my Nipples sting so I wonder if I do have an over supply. Called lactation at the hosp this am and trying to get an appt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->