FTM need some questions answered

Gitane091

Reaction score
Hey ladies so I am well into my third trimester and recently I've been pretty confused because by now I would think that I would be seeing an ob-gyn a doctor but instead this place I'm going to I've only been seeing an RN NURSE/midwife. I'm feeling super unprepared and feel like I'm not getting proper treatment.

Hi, I think it depends on where you are really. Here you would only ever see a midwife unless you're classed as high risk or a problem develops with your pregnancy.

Where abouts are you? As pp said, in the UK we don't see a Dr at all throughout pregnancy unless classed as high risk when the midwife refers you to a consultant. I'm nearly at the end and haven't seen a Dr once. I plan on having baby in the midwife-led unit so if all goes well will only have midwife care until my postnatal check up with GP.

Only see midwives in NZ unless high risk or you pay to have an OB.

I'm in the US and specifically chose to see a CNM, certified nurse midwife, instead of an OB. They are just as qualified to give you the care you need all the way through pregnancy and delivery. If I was high risk, my care would be transferred over to an OB and if I need a c-section it will be done by an OB and assisted by the midwife (hoping it doesn't come to that!) anyway, not sure where you are but I would imagine if you are unhappy with your care you should be able to request an OB.

Again not sure where you are, but here I think you'd normally see your family doctor unless you specifically went to an OBGYN or midwife-basically here it's your choice. I would think if you have been seeing a midwife, you would keep seeing them up to delivery, as they are equally qualified to treat you and deliver babies. (I actually like some of the RN's here more than the doctors).

Here in aus I see a dr at the hospital and it's just who ever is on how ever when I am in labor I only have a midwife unless a dr needs to be called or I have privately paid for an obgyn/dr and it was only the one midwife who delivery my son 2 I never saw another person until I needed to be stitched up which the dr did. The midwives are sometimes better than the drs I think :)

Last time I saw a doctor once at 37 weeks as we do it at my hospital. Also seen one once this time due to my previous labour but that was it. I'm not high risk so only need to see my midwife :)

I'm in NI and although I'm not classed as high risk I'm under Shared Care, I saw a consultant at around 15 weeks and will see them again at 36 weeks, in between it's all been midwife appts. I'm very happy with that, the midwives I've met have all been excellent

I'm living in Santa Cruz California. I've just been dealing with a lot of pain/discomfort and its been so difficult to talk/get a hold of my midwife. We've done tests and all came back normal I was just thinking maybe I should see an ob-gyn for a second opinion. Otherwise I'm pretty content with my midwife she's very sweet. I'm just feeling so helpless right now cause I've been dealing with this unbearable burning sensation with and without urinating.

My doctor's office is different, because he's the only one actually in that office. So I see him every time I go in.

At my previous OB though, the only time I ever saw the OB there was when there was an issue (I had an ectopic). Other than that, I saw the nurse practitioner.

I live in Idaho near Boise so I'm in the west coast medical system. It's probably not too much different where you are. I see an OB but I am high risk with diabetes (not just GD) and have other complications along with that. I started off seeing a CNP (certified nurse practitioner) even with my past history of diabetes and having a previous high risk pregnancy with a special needs child born via c-section. Most of the time this is all you will see for your appts. TBH, my sister is a nurse and they see the patients more often and are usually up to speed on changes in medical coverage and what procedures are being used with higher success because they get more one on one time with the patients. Most of the time they can do more for you then the OB unless your needs go beyond their educational knowledge. Basically for most things they are just as qualified.

My guess with the burning, if there is no infection and you have been tested it is most likely due to baby laying on bladder or surrounding area. If you are really concerned you can always request to see an OB but they are likely to run all the same tests and come to the same conclusions as a CNP would as this is a very common pregnancy complaint and is usually nothing serious.

The constant vaginal burning as well is something I don't understand. Had cultures done with that as well and no infection? It's unbearable and I don't want to get out of bed. It also has made me terrified about vaginal birth :/

The constant vaginal burning as well is something I don't understand. Had cultures done with that as well and no infection? It's unbearable and I don't want to get out of bed. It also has made me terrified about vaginal birth :/

There are lots of common causes to this and although I'm not a doctor I would say if nothing shows up as an infection then chances are baby is lying on bladder or nerve or you just have general swelling due to a higher blood flow but it is common in third tri and usually gets more uncomfortable towards the end but I've never heard of it being a symptom of something serious and would guess that if your CNP thought it was she would at least consult with the OB.

I get a lot of scans due to being high risk and have had both periodic bladder and cervix pain and every time a scan confirmed it was due to how baby was laying. It got so bad that I was having a hard time urinating but it wasn't an infection.

The good news is that you are at the end so it's doubtful that it will get worse than what it is. Pregnancy is very uncomfortable at the end for most women and symptoms fluctuate and rotate, some days are better for some and still others it is pure he'll up to the last minute but it is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->