Fur baby...good idea or bad???

zanDark

<3 IVF mom <3
Reaction score
I could use with some advice...OH and I have been married for almost 3 years now...and TTC for more than two.

When we got married we agreed to avoid getting a dog right away since we knew we wanted kids as soon as possible, and wanted to wait until we had them and they were a bit older to get a pup since it would help them learn responsibility etc...little did we know that 3 years later it would still be just the two of us in this huge house :dohh::cry:

anyway! I recently got a pup for my parents since our family dog passed away...and I took care of him for the first couple of days since I dearly miss having a dog to take care of! I was so excited to take care and love the little guy and I keep going over to their house because I actually miss him so much!

I told OH that I think it's time to get a pup of our own...especially since I don't work anymore, and kind of feel like my days are empty and without meaning! I think having a little pup to care for will push me into being more active, and I'm not the type of person that goes out everyday all day long! I go out like 1-2 a week for a coffee or lunch with girlfriends, or I pop over to see my parents! So it would be nice to have a little companion at home! Especially when my OH is away on business trips!

My OHs only insecurity is that if I get pregnant and have a baby, I won't have time to deal with the pup and it will be up to him to take care of it! I think it's kind of silly to think like that since the pup will be an adult by the time we have a baby....IF we ever have a baby! We've been TTC for so long that I seriously doubt it's something that's going to happen anytime soon! :nope:

oh dear God this is so long! :haha: apologies for the rambling!

what do you ladies think? Should I go ahead and get myself a pup and make myself happier? or do I sit around waiting when and if I'm ever going to have a baby??? I know I'll love it and care for it since we've had dogs ever since I was a baby, but the fact that I kind of feel like "I can't just pop out and buy a pregnancy...but I can pop out and come home with a little furball to take care of!!" makes my OH a little insecure.

sorry for the rambling! :flower:

I love dogs and have grown up with dogs in the home since I was about 3. We have recently bought our own place and are not going to be getting a dog as we are out so much it wouldn't be fair. But, it seems that you are in the perfect position to look after a dog/puppy. As long as you are willing to put the time in then I really can't see why not? Go for it!x

I love dogs and I have to say that mine really really helped me when I was struggling TTC. I say go for it!

oh wow Chris your LO is almost here!!! :happydance::happydance::hugs:

I remember when you posted your BFP! It seems like it was just a few days ago! :hugs::hugs:

Thanks hun! OH said I should go for it because just the thought of having a little furball to love makes my face light up...hopefully the breeder I got my moms pup from still has one of his brothers for me :happydance:

I can't remember the last time I was so excited and happy :happydance:

We had exactly this debate nearly 6 years ago and we got our little furbaby (a house rabbit because we both work) and I don't regret a single second of it. Think I would have gone insane without Starsky to love and care for.

I say go for it. :flower:

I would go for it hun, like you say it wouldn't be a pup any more by the time you had a baby :flow:

We're considering getting a kitten... I always wanted one and DH said if we get to 2 years TTC and it doesn't happen we can get one. That's now.

:hugs:

xx

I would say go for it!!! We got our fur baby whilst TTC and do not regret it for a second.

Thanks ladies! <3 :hugs:

I'm going over tomorrow at 12pm to pick up my little guy! Even my mom said that I should go for it if it's going to make me happy and stop being so down about TTC!!!:happydance::happydance::happydance:

My MIL is going to be another story tho :haha: she's going to whiiiiiiine about it for ages!!

I can't wait to bring the little pup home and make him the happiest puppy ever :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/532981_10150903431269312_654154311_9661834_545611839_n.jpg

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

Awwww...sooooooo cute!

Congrats on getting your little fur baby!

:haha: I was about to post with some advice and see you have your little man already!! You certainly don't hang around :haha:

He is absolutely gorgeous! What breed is he? I really hope you enjoy looking after your pup. When we got our first dog, an English Springer called Willow we really felt like we had become a family rather than just a couple. Sadly we lost her to illness last year and I still miss her every day :( We now have 2 dogs, a Lab and a Welsh Springer and I adore them. I can't imagine what life would be like without a dog to share it with. Yes it will be a challenge when baby arrives but it's one that will be totally worth it. I really hope you get your BFP soon to complete your family :thumbup:

Aww congratulations on you furbaby. I got mine when we had been TTC about a year and she really has helped me through it all. I worry about what it will be like with a dog and a LO but other ppl do it so should be fine.

What breed have you gone for? xx

Aww just spotted the pic too. He/She is sooooo cute!! xx

thanks ladies! :hugs::hugs:

he's a toy yorkie and will still be tiny when he's fully grown so I'll be able to take him with me if I want to be out of the house for long :cloud9:

I already love him to bits and think it's adorable when he comes running behind me because he feels safe with me :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

I do have to chase him a bit to make sure he does his business on the doggy pad, but I'm prepared for all the work a little pup comes with! :happydance:

he's already eased that empty feeling I've had for so long...:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Hey i just wanted to say having a furbaby is brilliant when ur TTC or even have children.

we got our furbaby well he wasnt a pup when we got him he was 4yrs old he is a rescue dog.

He loves children he will stop for every child who wants to stroke him or play with him he just loves all the fuss.

he is a big dog u can see him in my pic he is an american bulldog but i tell u what he is the most loving bear ever lol when we saw him is little pic was of him lying down with a little pug dog sat on his head he just lied there like nothing was going on. the lady that was looking after him had grandchildren and they use to go and sit in his little cage and go sleep together he is that loving.

he loves my niece he dosnt like it when she cries he cries too cos he is upset cos she is upset then he will come check on here and protect her its so sweet.

Having Baxter has been the best thing he is my little boy and we always say to him we will have a little brother and sister for u some day soon :)

Your little puppy is so cute and furry just wanna give him/her a little kiss and cuddle xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->