fussing over feeds?

kerry m

mummy of 2
Reaction score
Hi has the title says my lo is 16 wks old (5 wks corrected) im worried as her feeds have been reducing.from been in scbu and being home her feeds where 2/3 oz every 2 to 3 hours and now only taking 40mls every 2 hours.she is on infant gaviscon as she has reflux. when i feed her she screams and arches her back at the time HV thought it was colic so give her infacol and changed avent bottles to dr brown bottles.But i wasn't convinced she had colic as she brings her wind up well.but gave her infacol which did nothing! ive changed her teats,been to docs and asked to change her milk incase that is the problem but said no GP also said that if it was colic she would still drink her milk.I'm at my Witt's end worrying as i don't no what to do.she putting on steady weight and is a happy and alert baby but when it comes to her feeds she is a total different baby.i have a follow up app in july with the consultant but managed to get a early app for this week.As anyone got any advice what it could be or your babies went thru this stage? Thanks in advance

Because your LO is premature, it is likely that the cause of this is reflux. Whatever you're using now to try and fix this, isnt working.

Infant Gaviscon was never enough for us. It also made our LO constipated so we gave up the Gaviscon and used SMA Staydown milk (available on presctption) and this worked better.

She was also put on domperidone (to process the food quicker so she wasnt sick) and raniidine (to help neutrilise the acid in her tummy) he combination of this helped.

Its all about finding the right combination of meds to see what will help with the reflux. This doesnt sound like colic at all.

:hugs: Its not fun at all, but theres light at the end of the tunnel

I agree with SB22, my twins both suffered with reflux & Ben was put on ranitadine (sp?) while in NICU & both were also on gaviscon. They both grew out of it after a few months so things will improve with time!
Speak to your consultant & see if he can prescribe the milk SB22 has suggested or if he thinks its necessary one of the drugs to neutralise the acid x

Is she throwing up more than usual? It could, as has been said, be down to reflux, but there is also a possiblity that she has developed an intolerance. I only mention it as my nephew did exactly this for every feed from about 6 weeks and it took 5 months before the docs would believe my sister when she said it's not just colic. And those 5 months were hell for her.

If all the solutions for reflux don't help, make sure you mention an intolerance to the doctor and try to get her tested.

If it is reflux, have you tried feeding her in a more upright position. When Abby's reflux was at it's worst, we found changing her position to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->