Fussy Baby - Should I Swap Formula?

flamingpanda

Reaction score
I'm at a loss with what to do, we're currently feeding her on SMA (yellow top) and I think it might be upsetting her tummy. She is very gassy (from both ends) all day, she only poos every 2-3 days and when she does it's green and very runny. The worst part is that she won't get on any kind of schedule and she seems to be constantly hungry. She asks for more every hour and will continue to do this until she takes too much volume and is sick. It's just like the milk isn't filling her up.

I've spoken to the doc as I was wondering about switching to hungry baby formula but he told me that hungry baby tends to make babies fat and so we should give it more time. I spoke with the midwife and she said to give cool boiled water but bubs hates it and we end up with even more screaming. My friend recommended Aptimil Comfort as she had similar problems with her boy and the change really helped him.

But I'm so scared to change in case it makes her worse and no one seems to be able to give me any solid advice. I thought I'd ask here and hopefully people make have had similar experiences. Any advice is welcome, I just want her to feel happier and full after a feed.

I tried Cow and Gate comfort for my little one to help her colic/constipation but it did nothing. She is so much better on Hipp Organic, I cannot recommend it enough.

I'm from the US so I'm not familiar with your formula's there, but if it were me I'd try a comfort milk (I think that's what it's called). Are they the ones that are a bit lower in lactose and the protiens partially broken down for easier digestion? Some babies are just really gassy (my lo is) but an easier to digest formula should help at least a little bit and should get her pooping more regularly too.

As far as her wanting to eat really often and then it's too much, it could be one of two things. It could be that she's not actually hungry but just wanting to suckle for comfort to wind down and is actually getting tired, not hungry (I've been down this road with my lo) and the best thing for that is a pacifier. I know a lot of ppl don't like then, but if that's the only time you use one it then it's perfectly fine and there's no reason not to. Have you tried one yet? If you did and she didn't take to it, try a different kind with a nipple shape that's similar to the nipple shape of her bottles.

It could also be that she has reflux (I'd try the pacifier first though before you jump to that conclusion). Babies with reflux want to keep drinking even if their full to sooth their throat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->