Gags then vomits= weaning hell!

Countrygirl13

Reaction score
Really struggling to help my daughter with weaning. We have started to give her finger foods to chew as she has now got two teeth. She carefully moves all little bits to the front of her mouth and spits them out. Fair enough. But if a bit gets to the back of her mouth she gags then up comes what seems like her entire stomach contents.
I know it's good she gags as it will help her stop choking but the volume of vomit is crazy. She did this a at six months so I stuck to smooth purees which she is not too thrilled with but at 7 months + I wanted to try and interest her more in her food with some finger sized pieces which she loves.
I purchased a food net to limit the size of the bits getting into her mouth but she is totally unimpressed.
Has this happened to you? Does it go away? Can I do anything to help her? Will she still be on pureed food at 16?? Help!

I doubt she'll be on pureed food by 16, haha but she might still be getting used to eating. I don't know for sure, but some babies have a tougher transition than others. And, yeah while the gagging is a good thing, the vomiting not so much! She might just have a small gag reflex and the small gag causes the vomiting and has nothing to do with the actual food. My nephew is like this, and if he slightly gags it almost always ends up in full on vomit!

Good luck, and hopefully this ends soon!

I went through this with my son. I can assure you it does pass. It took my son about 4 weeks. I personally wouldn't change anything you are doing as it is a learning process.

Thank you, we now hold a sick bucket at the ready every time she is holding finger food!

Eh, my son has been doing that for the last 4 months. It is very frustrating but my pediatrician said it was normal for some babies. At almost 10 months were still on purees. I offer him finger foods and some chunkier purees but he refuses to eat finger foods (they do make good toys though) and usually gags and spits out the chunks of the other. It will pass I am sure, but in the mean time it is frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->