Gaining weight in first trimester!

bebedreamr

Reaction score
Hey ladies so I know many ladies lose weight in first tri, but has anyone gained weight ? I am SO HUNGRY all the time. They say you don't need extra calories in first trimester, but my body seems to disagree.

Pre-pregnancy I was eating about 1300 calories a day because I don't exercise much. How many calories should you consume in first trimester?

I would love to exercise more but I live in the country and it is dark right now when I am not working, so it makes it hard to get out. And I am SO tired and have an almost 3 year old, which makes going to the gym a challenge. I am hoping to get exercising in second trimester when my energy level is back!

Anyone else in this boat? I fear what the midwives will say when I go in for my first appointment, and I feel so chunky and down about it...

I gained an lb every week my last time round. This time I'm starting 15 up that I didn't lose from last time. I think I've gained 3 so far but I'm chalking most of that up to the holidays. I say eat! Just try to choose the healthier options.

I decided to gain 5lbs each tri, for a total of 15, based on the "gain 15-25lbs" thru your whole pregnancy rule of thumb. If you are hungry, you better start eating and gaining the weight. Either your baby is making you hungrier or you might be lacking something nutritionally. Eat all the food groups, not just what you crave so baby will be happy. Most things i read is to consume 300cals extra per day for the baby, which isnt alot.

With my first I gained at least 10 lbs in first tri because I was soooo hungry, but also because eating was the only thing that seemed to slightly diminish the nausea.
It all evened out in the end so I'm not too concerned about weight this time around - my body is going to do what it needs to.
This time around I think I've gained about 1 lb but that could be from the holidays :)
I also didn't have much of an appetite during my 4th week

I've also put on quite a bit so far due to eating to keep nausea at bay, hoping it will even out a bit.

Haven't gained any weight yet and honestly I'm surprised because I'm constantly starving now and I eat like a pig as a result. I'm constantly stuffing food in my mouth.

I used to be a light eater -- no more. Plus when I get hungry I need to eat NOW. My hubby has already come to terms with this, LOL.

I hear you on the exercise; I'm feeling sooo lazy. Bootcamp has been on hiatus because of the holidays, it has been too cold to ride my bike, and I'm not allowed to go to hot yoga anymore. :-/

Have you thought of prenatal exercise classes? My mom got me a gift certificate for prenatal yoga and I'm looking forward to starting in January. :)

Happy New Year all!!

My 7th week I was starving, my eighth the morning sickness really kicked in and I weigh the same now (when I can poop) as I did before I got pregnant. It's a crap shoot as far as weight goes and I'm sure they won't be too hard on you about it.

I have gained weight because of Christmas not because of pregnancy, but yeah, my weight is up unfortunately. You don't need any extra calories until third tri so you don't need to eat more than you otherwise would. That said, 1300 seems very low even without exercising. Most people need at the very least about 1500 without doing any exercise.

I am normally a healthy eater and exercise about 5 times a week. Since finding out I'm pregnant, I've stopped going to the gym and have just been walking and going on the occasional bike ride.

I've cut down on food because everything just sounds so horrible to eat..however I have been feeling SO fat and gross. I weighed myself yesterday fearing the worst because I feel so awful, but was pleasantly surprised to see I've remained the same weight. I'm almost 7 weeks.

Hoping I can manage to stay a reasonable weight throughout.

Agreed! Thank you all for your responses! I am glad I am not the only one who is/has experienced this. It's hard being so so hungry. What makes it worse is I'll have a healthy snack like a tangerine and yogurt, and not even an hour later I am ravenous again. I really don't want to put on a lot of weight with this baby but it's so so hard!!!

Yup, let me join the club. I seem to have exploded during the first trimester... not so much because I'm eating for two just because my body is storing anything I eat in my arse.... :dohh:

I have no more waist already, the dimples on my thighs are very dimply and my jeans and trousers are already confined to post-baby times... and I still go to the gym!

I believe everybody just reacts differently. I got nauseous but not actually sick, so I had to keep my stomach full of neutral solid foods like potatoes and bread to keep it even... there's also some water retention going on I think.

I just am going to let my body do what it needs to do and will trust that it will all even out in the end. If not, once I'm good and ready in a couple of years, I'll tackle it with a diet and exercise.

Honestly don't be hard on yourself or over think it. Everything in moderation is fine. Some people can't control the weight that goes on. And pregnancy does tend to change your eating pattern whether more or less etc. I am already fat but during pregnancy I lose then I don't gain very much. But after I have the baby the weight seems to go right back. Go figure! Enjoy your pregnancy.

I had this constant hunger thing going on as well for a lot of the first trimester and I've put on 4 kilos.

However, after my dating scan (which put me at 13 weeks), I appear to be eating less. I'm hoping that by listening to what my body wants I can manage not to put on too much weight.

The standard advice is 300 extra calories in tri 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->