Game of Thrones fans...is our name too much??

Starkette

Reaction score
My husband and I have loved the name Aria for years. Before the TV show when it was just an amazing book series, we gained inspiration from the character Arya Stark.

My husband is very musical, it's his #1 passion in life and Aria really fits both of us. It's the perfect name.

However....here's the issue. Our surname IS Stark. Yup.:dohh:

My question: If you met a little girl named Aria Stark, what would your reaction be? Honestly. Please, it's really bothering me. The more popular the show gets, the more weird looks and rude comments we're going to get in the next few years (or more!).

And I know, if we love the name go for it, but if your last name was Jackson or Jordan you wouldn't name your kid Michael, would you? So confused!

Hm. I don't know the show so Aria Stark means nothing to me. Sounds nice though. :) Could you have a double name maybe? Aria-Sophia Stark? I'm sure the show isn't going to be around forever though. Just out of interest: Is the character a goodie or a baddie? Would she be embarrassed in any way by the comparison if someone was to make it?

She's pretty much the best character in the whole series. :) In my opinion. Very strong young girl, the kind of character I would name my daughter after if she wasn't so darn popular.

My husband and I have loved the name Aria for years. Before the TV show when it was just an amazing book series, we gained inspiration from the character Arya Stark.

My husband is very musical, it's his #1 passion in life and Aria really fits both of us. It's the perfect name.

However....here's the issue. Our surname IS Stark. Yup.:dohh:

My question: If you met a little girl named Aria Stark, what would your reaction be? Honestly. Please, it's really bothering me. The more popular the show gets, the more weird looks and rude comments we're going to get in the next few years (or more!).

And I know, if we love the name go for it, but if your last name was Jackson or Jordan you wouldn't name your kid Michael, would you? So confused!

i dont know the show but there are lots of other lovely musical names like:

cadence
lyric
melody (i have a friend with this name and love it)
viola
harmony
allegra (i know a girl with this name, very usique and sweet)
Harper
arietta (similar to the name you like)
cappella
demi
carol
celesta
lyra
octava
song

I think you should go for it, the spelling is different so it's not quite as obvious. If you love the character, that's even more incentive that you should do it! If people can name their children Draco, you can certainly go for Aria.

I watch the show! Aria is a beautiful name and I think you should go for it. As other people said, the show wont be around for ever. Also, Michael Jordan/Jackson are real people but she is a fictional character so i dont think its the same. Its like meeting someone called Rachael Green (from friends), it wouldnt be that weird.

One thing i disagree with you though is that she isnt the best character. The dwarf is! In my pregnant hormonal daze i even had a sexy dream about him :blush:

beautiful name .. but with the last name yeah it might be too much :/ or insanely awesome haha

I agree...insanely awesome. *another game of thrones fan here though*

But, if you'd ask me the first thing I'd think of if I met someone with that name, it'd be game of thrones. Not in a bad way though, as I think the name is really pretty. It's up to you if you'd want your daughter to be associated with the book/show I guess!

I think I'd still think about game of thrones even if it was just a non related first name and the last name was stark though :dohh:

I told my Oh and he said

"that's well cool"

tbf we both really love the name Hermione we are still ttc but if we ever have a girl i'm sure we will have to endure loads of negativity...

It is a pretty name so just go for it :) and anyone that notices the name sake should be cool enough to appreciate it because they had the sense to like a good show/book haha

Thanks so much for the encouraging words! We really love it, but I am so paranoid that my little girl will judged or harangued because of her name. Hearing from you guys help put my mind at ease more.

We do have a second name we like, Ivy, so it's going to be a battle between the two.

and Steph, yes! Tyrion is pretty friggen awesome, too.

I haven't seen the show, but I'm on book 4. Arya is quite the little beast, for sure. Nothing wrong with naming your daughter after a scrappy, self-reliant little girl. The name together will most definitely raise eyebrows, though. Maybe make Aria a middle name or at least give her a middle name that she can choose to use if she likes.

Love Arya!

Could you double barrel you're surname with your maiden name perhaps? Or Aria-Ivy Stark? x

I actually read an article today on how popular that name is becoming-going to be because of GOT. If you love it then go for it.

I say go for it! I love the name Arya and its on my list for girls names :)

It was the same with us! Both huge fans of the books for years and years! Love the name Arya and it is on our name list. I say do it!! She is an amazing character!

In America, “Arya” is the fastest-rising baby name for girls. According to a press release from the U.S. Social Security Administration, the name jumped from 711 in 2011 to 413 in 2012. That puts it far, far lower than any of the names in the Top 20 — your Emmas, Olivias, and Chloes — but presumably far, far higher than “Cersei.”

I think you'll be fine using it!

Have to say I wouldn't do it... Sorry! Just because that show is so popular at the moment and I can't see it going anywhere for a few years I think we will end up with lots of people using the same name. Plus your surname I think it looks like you named her straight out of the book! For instance I like the name Bella but I think it's too obvious, plus if you met a Bella/Edward Cullen what would you think? I think a child's name should be a bit more individual, if your surname wasn't stark Maybe it would be different. If you really like the name how about a variation of it, Ariana possibly? You could call her Aria for short but it's not so obvious?
At the end of the day you can call her whatever you like, it's just my opinion! Good luck xx

Me and DH wanted to call ours Ayra as we are GOT fans and loved the name. We had similar problem though as our surname is KEENE. So worried people will laugh at the name Ayra Keene (like are you keen?) so that name was sadly ruled out for us lol, however if our surname was STARK I would definetly without fail call our daughter Ayra!!

I say do it!!!! :D Beautiful name xoxox

I am not familiar with the books/show, but did just read that Arya is the gametes growing girls name in the US, so I guess many watch it. But I'd use it if you love it, who cares! Aria is a beautiful name

but she is a fictional character so i dont think its the same. Its like meeting someone called Rachael Green (from friends), it wouldnt be that weird.

I disagree, both Rachel and Green are common names and where long before friends came out (it was a show designed to be connective to real peoples lives)
same with most realistic based shows

picking a name obviously unique and linked to a famous book/film/show will automatically link that child

my sons name is Jake after a film but from that I bet you cant tell what film because its a common name

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->