Game of Thrones fans...is our name too much??

Hey!

I am a fellow Game of Throner and I love the name Arya too but prefer your spelling. If you name her spelt Aria I don't see the problem. Aria is also pronounced different to Arya isn't it. I don't think it matters even if you did name your child after a book character you loved!

I love game of Thrones. I've read the books and watch the show, and it's great. Yes Arya is Amazing! Unfortunately I think that she would have a really hard time with that. (Have you seen the movie That's My Boy, with Han Solo). Same as if you named a kid Frodo, Han Solo, Katniss, Hermoine. Despite all of those being cool names, the name will always outshine the child and it may be a difficult thing for them to live up too. It might make it hard for their personality to shine through, when being constantly compared to a character. Also kids can be cruel. Just my opinion... don't know what that's worth. :shrug:

Katniss is a made up name though surely... I see what you are saying BUT why is okay to name a child harry but not Hermione? Because Harry is more common ? Doesn't seem like good enough reason to me Arya/Aria is a pretty name and it is a shame when tv shows and films etc stop the name from being used. I agree when it is a name like Katniss or frodo but when the name is perfectly normal then F**k it ahah :)

It's not the name so much but the name and surname put together. The name by itself is lovely but I think if you put it with the same surname it's just a bit much. As before, Edward is a nice 'normal' name but if your surname was Cullen would you still use it? As a PP said, I think the child would always be living in the shadow of the name. I used to work with a guy named Larry Potter. Named way before the books ever came out but now he absolutely hates it! So much so that he uses his middle name now. At the end of the day it's just my opinion for what it's worth!

It's not the name so much but the name and surname put together. The name by itself is lovely but I think if you put it with the same surname it's just a bit much. As before, Edward is a nice 'normal' name but if your surname was Cullen would you still use it? As a PP said, I think the child would always be living in the shadow of the name. I used to work with a guy named Larry Potter. Named way before the books ever came out but now he absolutely hates it! So much so that he uses his middle name now. At the end of the day it's just my opinion for what it's worth!

These are my thoughts. It's the fact that our surname is the same name as the character's name. And though the spelling is different, people who hear it won't know that, and it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I do still love the name, but I think I've decide that I just don't feel 100% comfortable naming my child the same name as a popular character. And the show is only growing in popularity. Maybe if I have a second girl, but for my first...

Also (and I got so annoyed at this!!) when I announced on facebook that I was pregnant, people started making "funny" name suggestions like Tony (ie: Iron Man) and one person actually said Arya. In a joking way. Made my heart sink. We were so sure on our name for years when the book was known by a select few, but with the show being such a hit it's ruined the name. DEPRESSING, yes?

Anyone else ever mourn a name they once loved but now can never use?

Good-bye Aria Noelle, the name I picked out years ago. :(

Yes, I used to love Bella, which I can't use not only for Twilight but also the name Isabella is ridiculously popular down here now, there are 3 in my nephews class at nursery! Shiloh I used to like but Angelina Jolie used it and I actually was thinking of the name Angelina but a friend recently used it and I everyone said 'angelina, oh as in Angelina Jolie?' Which made me glad we didn't pick it!
Have you discounted longer versions such as Ariana? Or similar like Eliana? I know it's horrible when a book ruins it for you, in 10-15 years I don't think anyone would blink at a Bella Cullen but right now I think it's just a bit much! Hope you manage to find a name you like xx

These are my thoughts. It's the fact that our surname is the same name as the character's name. And though the spelling is different, people who hear it won't know that, and it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I do still love the name, but I think I've decide that I just don't feel 100% comfortable naming my child the same name as a popular character. And the show is only growing in popularity. Maybe if I have a second girl, but for my first...

Also (and I got so annoyed at this!!) when I announced on facebook that I was pregnant, people started making "funny" name suggestions like Tony (ie: Iron Man) and one person actually said Arya. In a joking way. Made my heart sink. We were so sure on our name for years when the book was known by a select few, but with the show being such a hit it's ruined the name. DEPRESSING, yes?

Anyone else ever mourn a name they once loved but now can never use?

Good-bye Aria Noelle, the name I picked out years ago. :(

you could switch it around and have Noelle Aria Stark or you could elongate the name Arietta (is a musical word and means means short aria) its beautiful and still has the musical meaning, sounds similar but isnt silly can shorten to Ari, Ray, Etta etc...

also if you name her Arietta Noelle the that can shorten to Ari and Elle so you could nickname her Ariel :)

Aria Stark means nothing to me but I certainly would not use a name that was well known like that.

Thank for the suggestions! I thought about longer versions, but I haven't found one I like. One of my criteria for a name is that is can't be nicknamed into something common like Ellie or Katie. Not that those aren't lovely names, but if I pick a name I want the nickname to be something I really like too.

I do like Noelle, but as a middle name. Oh well...it's okay. At least I have a little time to come to terms with all this. Maybe if we have a second girl in the future she can be Aria. Who knows?

Personally, I'd love it if I had a famous character name like that! How many people are lucky to have a last name like that and cool parents to name them? If your girl will be anything like me, she'd love it! In fact, I'd say go for Arya, not even Aria.

Upsides:
+Arya is a strong and good character, not a bad or embarrasing one
+She will be a Stark no matter what, because of the show (and the film Iron Man) your last name is already quite popular!

Downsides:
-I cannot think one?

I may be biased, my middle name (I use my middle name) and last name are both uncommon and always mispronounced, I always wished for nicer and easier names with a meaning, and I think a beloved character has a great meaning, the name's also easy to pronounce :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->