gbs positive

lemsz

Reaction score
this is my first time being group b strep +
anyone have experience

I wouldn't worry too much. I tested group b strep earlier this pregnancy but tested negative last week. I was also gbs positive all the way though my other two pregnancies. It can come and go so although your positive now you may not be later on. Just make sure they write it down on your notes and Inform them when you go into labour as you get iv antibiotics to make sure infection doesn't pass onto baby. Although my labours were too quick for antibiotics to be given and both my babies are fine. Try to avoid googling it. There are some horror stories that can really scare you. Yes there can be severe complications but most ladies who are gbs positive go on to have perfectly normal deliveries and healthy babies.

I would honestly not read or stress about it too much. As long as it is written in your notes and they are aware of it to give antibiotics during labour everything will be fine. I drove myself mad worrying about this with my first pregnancy after I found out I had it at 20 weeks. As PP said it comes and goes so you may not have it at birth anyway. Try not to worry xx

I never got tested as my littke one decided to come at 28 weeks. However je became very poorly at 9 weeks old and turned out he had gbs. I would advise to take antibiotics diring labor to orevent it being passed onto baby. Within a matter of hours we almost lost our little boy. It is very easily treated but very rapid and dangerous. Im pregnant again and have asked to be monitored for it

I had it my first 2 pregnancies and I'm sure I will be positive again this time. It was never a big deal just have to get antibiotics when you go into labour. Even with my 2nd my labour went so quick I didn't get the full dose of the antibiotics and she was fine! Just kept us in an extra day for monitoring.

I had positive swabs in all 3 pregnancies. Number 1 and 3 were just swabs but with 2 i had a positive urine too. I did not hsve antibiotics in labour,nor needed them after. I had a water birth with 3. All textbook labours. No probs.

I was gbs+ with my last pregnancy and all the medics down here freaked out and made a huge song and dance about it. Which I do understand to a point, it can be dangerous to newborn babies BUT the main thing is that it's picked up and that they know about it when you go into labour. As it turns out my labour happened so quickly they didn't have time to get IV anti biotics into me. As you can imagine I was really panicked by this as I was told so many times how it can be life threatening to my baby. They kept us in for 12 hours with obs done on baby and then we were allowed home with a booklet on signs to look out for for late onset. My baby's been absolutely fine though and has shown no signs of infection, she's 11 weeks old.

I was positive last time and this time around. As long as its in your chart so they can do IV meds during labor, its no big deal. If you're allergic to penicillin be sure to let them know so they can give you the alternative. The IV is not fun at all (in the hand) but all in all, its not a big deal since you know about it and can treat.

I was positive last time and this time around. As long as its in your chart so they can do IV meds during labor, its no big deal. If you're allergic to penicillin be sure to let them know so they can give you the alternative. The IV is not fun at all (in the hand) but all in all, its not a big deal since you know about it and can treat.

why is it in your hand ?

why is it in your hand ?

It doesn't have to be the hand, I tell them to put it on the inside of my elbow.

That good that they gave you an alternative. They did mine in my hand because I only have one good vein in my elbow to get to and it tends to not hold long (blood draws are a complete pain for me).

I'm the same nightmare getting blood drawn but they used a baby needle, found it much more comfortable than hand, still ouch thoug!

They were trying to get mine into my wrist but I was already 9cm dilated and they couldn't find a vein :rofl: wonder why!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->