GBS+

lilmisscaviar

2 girls, 3 boys
Reaction score
I was just diagnosed with Group B strep and was told I will have to have IV antibiotics during labor. After having two quick deliveries in the past lasting less than four hours, I'm worried that one dose of antibiotics won't be enough if I have another quick labor this time. Also after three miscarriages I'm incredibly worried that something will happen to the baby during delivery. Anyone else out there test positive for GBS?

I think hanging the antibiotics during delivery is pretty standard. But I would ask my OB about other options.

I was just told I am.
But my last labour was induction that lasted two days
And possibly need c section this time.
Midwife just sais they don't treat before cos it cam come back
But they give antibiotic during labour.
If ur labour was too fast,they could prob give bub antibiotic after
But I'm just guessing xx
Maybe they might give u antibiotic before hand since subsequent labours r usually faster xx

I was strep + in first pregnancy. I was induced and gave birth within 4 hours. 1 hour established so they didn't have time to give me antibiotics. They kept us in for three days while poor bubs was monitored and given the antibiotics and had his blood cultured. All was fine. So if they don't get time that's what happens. This time I will get tested privately as they don't routinely test and I will make sure I have it ASAP as I'm likely to labour quicker next time. X

i was gbs+ for all three pregnancies.

the first was induction so plenty time for iv antibiotics, baby was taken to scbu to be monitored after birth due to that and them cutting his head open during delivery.

2nd was a planned section so he was fine.

3rd i had only just had my test a few days before he arrived as he came at 36+5 (test at 36). my waters broke at 2:30am and then nothing else happened, i was given a section at 11am. he came out with issues (blotchy skin, blue around the mouth, grunting while breathing) and had to be taken to NICU. A few hours later my swab results were ready and they were positive. he had to have 72 hours of iv antibiotics.

as long as they can get one dose into you it should be ok but youll probably be kept in for them to monitor bub for a day or two afterwards. x

I have short labours and so baby usually gets the antibiotics at birth too

There are a number of things you can try that are natural ways to get rid of strep b. Then you can have a private test (by post for £30) at 36 weeks and if it does turn out to be negative, that's you safe until 42 weeks. From memory, I think salt baths and taking probiotics are both meant to help eliminate strep b. Make sure to check that any natural remedies are safe for pregnancy before you try them though!

The midwfe who told me I was pos
Said they don't swab again because its transient
She said tests r unreliable, u could test pos one day
And neg the next, and vice versa
She said if test pos at all.
They give antibiotics at birth.

I went to my appointment and because I was positive in previous pregnancy I'm being treated at positive this time so ill still get antibiotics. I'm happy about that.

I would be pushy about the antibiotics, my friend didn't receive them during her labor and she and the baby were both very sick for a time afterward (she got to go home and then they both had to go back in and be admitted because they became ill once they got home). I'm not sure if there were other underlying factors, but since she experienced this I am also very sensitive to it.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to post my experience.

I choose to decline the antibiotics with my second. I have very fast labours, 7, 4 and 2 hours. If the antibiotics are given for less than 2 hours then you are treated the same as if no antibiotics were given. I am also pencillin resistant with an unknown risk factor for anaphylaxsis so I'm likely to be offered vandomycin because they no longer use clindamycin.

To administer vandomycin IV you have to have a slow drip for an hour, unlike the penicillin or cephalosporins which only have to be administered intermittently. I would be restricted during labour which is not something I am prepared to do as it will likely affect the risk of interventions which can increase the risk of infection (any vaginal exams etc can increase the risk as it can push the bacteria further up.

There is evidence that a water birth may decrease the risk of infection.

I tested negative at 36 weeks with my third. I do suggest they reconsider testing you. the gold standard test for at least the UK and Canada is a test between 35 and 37 weeks due to the fact it comes and goes as this is the most reliable method bar testing you in labour which is in most cases not possible.

I know in the UK it is the woman's choice whether or not to have IAP as well as where they birth. Even though sometimes they forget, they can only advise and cannot tell you whether or not you are going to have them because it ties into consent law. They are not allowed to deny you care based on refused consent as this would not be informed consent but consent by duress.

Its often worth researching for yourself. Informed consent is rarely properly given in my experience. I've been given the benefits of the antibiotics and the risks of not having the antibiotics but this is only half of the story. They are supposed to go into the risks of having the antibiotics as well. Often I've found that they just assume you will have them and can't comprehend why you might not. Some of the things I look into include side affects of the antibiotic some common ones being abdominal pain, diarrhoea, etc , risks of IAP (risk of non GBS antibiotic resistant infection, anaphylaxsis).

With my second pregnancy I had a home water birth then transferred to hospital for obs for 24 hours with the provision that if signs of GBS were found, the baby would have IV antibiotics.

With my third I just had a homebirth. Antibiotics save lives but the rate we use them is causing more risks due to antibiotic resistant strains emerging and there is also evidence that there are studies suggesting a link between antibiotics in the first year of life and asthma. There is also the emerging research on the infant gut biome and the affect of antibiotics. The gut biome is a very interesting area of research and although some studies suggest breastfeeding can negate a lot of this due to the link between the biome and breastfeeding, it should still be a factor. There is also some research emerging into the link between the biome and development of the infant.

Whether or not to have IAP should always be between a mother and her healthcare provider but I definitely think every woman who is GBS+ would do herself a favour by looking at all of the research before coming to a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->