GD 5 weeks pregnant

Chnima

Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

I just got a BFP 10 days back and due to previous miscarriages GD during my previous pregnancy the GP wanted me to get the 2 hour GTT done. I got a call from the clinic yesterday saying that I had failed the 2 hour test and my level was 156. They did not tell me the other levels and asked me to control my diet. I'm really worried as I had trouble keeping my sugars under control even with insulin during my last pregnancy where I was diagnosed at 28 weeks. And now I have the entire pregnancy to go through (if my little peanut sticks, have nt seen the heart beat yet). I'm really worried if my blood sugars is going to effect the baby's development.

Has anyone else been through this ?

Any advice or experiences shared is appreciated. I'm really worried

I wasn't diagnosed until 28 weeks with my son and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to diagnosed at 5 weeks! - In the UK they don't test at all until later because the intolerance only really starts to show a little later in pregnancy. Do you have type 2 diabetes?

Your blood sugar shouldn't have to much to do with development so long as you keep your diet under control, you've been diagnosed so they will keep a strict eye so try not to worry.

Usually if you fail the two hour test, your referred for a fasting test, have you been offered that?

If not, just watch what you eat, there's lots of eating plans online. Try to eat plenty of protein and lots of veggies, in my experience it's best to steer clear of fruit. I don't know why they're always suggested because they provide a very sharp sugar rise :shrug: and exercise!

I think you should talk to your doctor for some clarification. Generally, first trimester glucose tolerance testing is to screen for overt type 2 diabetes, not gestational diabetes. At only 5 weeks along, it's very unlikely that the pregnancy is what's causing your body's insulin resistance, which means it was a preexisting condition :(

Thank you ladies for the response , I did visit my endocrinologist and he said that the condition is called pregestational diabetes,which means I'm more likely to be type 2 diabetic if I don't work towards reversing the condition. Also now at 6 weeks I have suddenly lost all symptoms don't know what to think I ve had 4 miscarriages and 1 successful pregnancy I'm really worried.

I've had GD since conception, as I'm prediabetic and the threshold is different as soon as we get pregnant it goes from preD to GD, or whatever they want to call it. But it sounds like we have a similar condition. One reassurance I'd like to offer you right off the bat - 156 isn't that high :hugs: I mean, it's high but it indicates you'll be able to control things pretty easily for now. What I can say from my experience is that it's easy to control in the first and second trimester and that by third trimester (when most women would be getting GD) then it does get really challenging finally. But it wasn't super hard the whole time, it was actually pretty easy for most of the pregnancy. I hope you find it's the same for you.

If you're concerned about the effects of high sugars in the first trimester, you could talk to your doctor about going on metformin. In certain types of cases it can reduce miscarriage risk and it will help you get a good jump start on blood sugar control. But it might be that you're controlled enough already not to need it. Have they had you start doing finger sticks yet?

The other thing I would recommend is to try to get 30 min of activity every day because it really does make glucose control easier. I'm sure you probably already knew that, but I just wanted to mention it because it seemed to make a real difference for me early in the pregnancy but then not as much later on.

The part that really sucks about diabetes in the first trimester is the carb cravings. I really have no advice about what to do for those. That part was the worst!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->