• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GD again, frustrated with numbers - need advice

mumfor3rdtime

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Is anyone ready to throw out their glucose meters with me?

This is my third pregnancy and third time with gestational diabetes!

For the first pregnancy, my fasting numbers were 4.2, second one 4.5 and now third one 4.8-5.2

My numbers are always super good after eating breakfast (2 hours after 5.3) but start to get more sluggish as the day wears on - which requires me to do walk after lunch and dinner usually with my numbers being around 6.

I don't eat a ton of carbs and after having gestational diabetes three times I understand what I can and can not eat...no white bread, pizza, white pasta -milk and fruit only in the mornings.

I dont have any other gd factors - slim build...why me then? I am not sure. I went to an endo the first time and they gave me cheat sheets on what to do and what not to do.

Because of my history, I have been monitoring my blood glucose since day one so have not done the ogtt or gtt tests this time around.

Up until now I have been managing this myself so not sure if I should book in with an endo. What can they really tell me that I don't already now - after three years of struggling with gd.

Sorry this is a bit of a rant...Any tips or advice are appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I've had GD before too and have already had to meet with a dietician (at 12 weeks) and start a GD diet as if I already had the disease. I did the OGTT test at 16 weeks and had great values. (and so of course I am being a little casual with the diet, let us say. :) ) One tip from the dietician...she says if you cook the pasta al dente (really al dente) it is just fine - - it is the smushy pasta that sends the glucose up too fast. My gynecologist said to switch to whole grain pasta which is a little too gritty for my family but it is not too bad. I prefer the dietician's advice in this case. (These are Italians, by the way, so they know their pasta.) Modest amounts of carbohydrates are fine paired with some fat and protein as I am sure you know. Small frequent meals are better than a few big ones and not flopping down on the couch after you eat is critical (that one is hard for me!!). I am trying to be obedient but I question the whole concept of GD seeing as I had such a healthy pregnancy and my son was born spot on the right size and was immediately thriving. Hope you don't let it get you down too much!:hugs:

To answer your question: I think the parameters for pregnant women are just a bit strict: "normal" fasting values for general adults can be anywhere from 3.8-6.0 so I don't think you are actually in dangerous territory.

I don't have gd but have to act as if I do from the glucose test. I failed it by .2 silly Ness
But my fasting is under 5.5 and an hour after meals is under 7.7 so you're seen significantly lower wouldn't worry.
And to remind you, you don't get gd because of how you eat. The placenta releases stuff that cuter acts the pancreas ability to properly produce insulin. Bigger the placenta, harder it is for the body.
So don't be hard on yourself!
You're almost through it though. That's what I tell myself!

Yes, also would like to punch my dietician in the face, she said it's not a diet, it's portion control :dohh: Yeah lady I'm pregnant, it's supposed to be the one time I can go wild. My sister also had it with her first, we both think it's over-diagnosed. I was on progesterone, the hormone responsible for insulin repression, so since I have been off it for the past week, I've been pretty relaxed, also since I also had a shortened cervix (high risk for pre-term), I wanted baby to be big, so I kind have been lax from the beginning. I wouldn't bother with the dietician, as he or she will most likely just frustrate you further, and you know what you are doing. My sister and I just found the things that would make it spike, for her it was juice for me it was peanut butter. I don't know if there's one thing you can isolate. Sometimes even if you use their portions there's just some things that still make it spike. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->