GD/diabetes and home birth

cranberry987

Mum after ttc 16 cycles
Reaction score
Hi

Anyone have GD or diabetes and planning a home birth? Just interested as to your plans for managing your levels in labour. I assume it's left to us as the mw won't know how?

I was thinking weetabix and glucose tabs to keep levels up and small doses of insulin to keep them down. I've not had a talk with my dsn yet to get any ideas off them yet as I can see their solution being 'come into hospital for a drip'.

Any other issues you're having?

Hmm i've never personally had GD nor a home birth (hoping for a free standing birth center birth this time though). But my mother had 5 babies. Her last one she had GD, she got prenatal care with an OB (she had NO intention of birthing in the hospital with him though! :haha:) and she planned a (secret) unassisted HB (HB MWs are "underground" & illegal in some US states). Her birth was 2 hours from start to finish. She ate when she felt she needed to and she just did what she felt her body was telling her to do. I know thats kind of vague, but i wasn't there so i can't give details :blush: haha. Best of luck hun! you can totally do it!

I was told I couldnt have a home birth cos of the GD. No one monitored my sugar levels when I was in labour at the hospital, well my hubby and I did but no one seemed interested in the result. I was on insulin from 20 weeks so not even diet controlled.
When we have baby number 2 I'm going to insist on a home birth. I didnt know I could of tried to have number 1 at home, I just did what I was told and had a horrific time.
I would do as you suggested to keep my levels under control. Towards the end of my pregnancy though my levels stayed low without much help.
Goodluck xx

Ah yes i forgot that levels often stabilise at the end of the pregnancy. Maybe I'm over worrying about it all but the baby being hypo is like the main thing which I can see going wonky so my urge to control it has blossomed!

Ah yes i forgot that levels often stabilise at the end of the pregnancy. Maybe I'm over worrying about it all but the baby being hypo is like the main thing which I can see going wonky so my urge to control it has blossomed!

If you have ANY questions about being HYPO, please ask me!!! i NEVER EVER had GD but i did have hypoglycemia which was pregnancy induced. I just learned to eat high protein (14g of carbs or less per every 2g of protein) it was easy peasy and it changed my life and i didnt have issues since :D I had an unmedicated water birth, and i just made sure to eat and drink the right stuff, no IV no nothing :D

If you have ANY questions about being HYPO, please ask me!!! i NEVER EVER had GD but i did have hypoglycemia which was pregnancy induced. I just learned to eat high protein (14g of carbs or less per every 2g of protein) it was easy peasy and it changed my life and i didnt have issues since :D I had an unmedicated water birth, and i just made sure to eat and drink the right stuff, no IV no nothing :D

Did it have any effect on the baby? I have hypo non-pregnant and the new hormones are making it worse. I think I'm getting it back under control though.

Did it have any effect on the baby? I have hypo non-pregnant and the new hormones are making it worse. I think I'm getting it back under control though.

Not that i am aware of. He never had low sugar bloods at birth (or ever for that matter), he was not jaundiced, and he was not anemic (even though i had severe PICA)....i truly think he did not have these issues because i refused to induce/augment my labor. And biggest thing of all, delayed cord blood clamping. I would heavily suggest DCB clamping since your child could be at risk for sugar issues. But nope he was mighty fine :thumbup:
Really it was my suffering haha, i started vomits from severe lows (like lower than 50) around 12 weeks (never ever had MS!) and it lasted until 25 weeks. I lost so much weight from it. The OBs kept telling me i didn't have an issue and it was just bad MS but i knew they were wrong and so i demanded to see a dietician. Immediatly the dietician knew i was insulin resistant, and set me up on a good (and easy) diet to follow.It was a night and day difference :thumbup:

Not that i am aware of. He never had low sugar bloods at birth (or ever for that matter), he was not jaundiced, and he was not anemic (even though i had severe PICA)....i truly think he did not have these issues because i refused to induce/augment my labor. And biggest thing of all, delayed cord blood clamping. I would heavily suggest DCB clamping since your child could be at risk for sugar issues. But nope he was mighty fine :thumbup:
Really it was my suffering haha, i started vomits from severe lows (like lower than 50) around 12 weeks (never ever had MS!) and it lasted until 25 weeks. I lost so much weight from it. The OBs kept telling me i didn't have an issue and it was just bad MS but i knew they were wrong and so i demanded to see a dietician. Immediatly the dietician knew i was insulin resistant, and set me up on a good (and easy) diet to follow.It was a night and day difference :thumbup:
Most doctors won't recognize hypoglycemia as an issue. (There are no drugs to treat it, so no propaganda from the drug companies. ;) ) I wonder if that is why I've been getting nauseous starting at the end of the 12th week. I also had basically no MS until then. The MW should have no problem with delayed clamping. I haven't asked about that yet, but I was planning it. They will pretty much do what the mother wants though (as long as it is legal). They already asked about the Vitamin K and eye ointment. I told them I'd have to get back to them after I researched it. I requested the 12 week NT scan. She said they don't normally do it, but they scheduled it for me.

Most doctors won't recognize hypoglycemia as an issue. (There are no drugs to treat it, so no propaganda from the drug companies. ;) ) I wonder if that is why I've been getting nauseous starting at the end of the 12th week. I also had basically no MS until then.

:dohh: good point...dang doctors! And they were like "well your GD test was normal so i dont see that" :wacko: (where i used to live they made you get the GD test at 16 weeks and again at 28) like for real!? I am lying about the paper that i wrote down what i ate and what my sugars were :dohh: lol

anyways, it could very well be why hun. I am no dietician, so i can't say for sure, but it makes perfect sense to me why these issues would start around week 12. At the 12th week is when the placenta takes over! It makes perfect sense! Here is what you can do to see. For every 14g of carbs you eat MAKE SURE you eat AT LEAST 2g of protein. Eat AT LEAST every 2 hours. I HAD To eat EVERY hour because mine was so bad, but then when it got better i was able to go 2-2.5 hours. Anyways, try this for one or two weeks. If you see a change and you feel better, stick with it! If you do not see a change and you do not feel better, then increase the ratio to 4g of protein per 14g of carbs (carbs and sugar = the same, when you are calculating so be sure to add them together to get your total carb input). And try that for a couple of weeks. If low sugars are the problem this will def. help. It may just take a couple weeks for your body to get better. I think it took me 2 weeks and then i was golden if i kept with it.e

Eat lots of vegtibles (i couldn't do fruits much because there is natural sugar in it and it would give me a low), eat nuts, fish, lots of meat, cheese, eggs all of that high protein stuff ;)

:dohh: good point...dang doctors! And they were like "well your GD test was normal so i dont see that" :wacko: (where i used to live they made you get the GD test at 16 weeks and again at 28) like for real!? I am lying about the paper that i wrote down what i ate and what my sugars were :dohh: lol

anyways, it could very well be why hun. I am no dietician, so i can't say for sure, but it makes perfect sense to me why these issues would start around week 12. At the 12th week is when the placenta takes over! It makes perfect sense! Here is what you can do to see. For every 14g of carbs you eat MAKE SURE you eat AT LEAST 2g of protein. Eat AT LEAST every 2 hours. I HAD To eat EVERY hour because mine was so bad, but then when it got better i was able to go 2-2.5 hours. Anyways, try this for one or two weeks. If you see a change and you feel better, stick with it! If you do not see a change and you do not feel better, then increase the ratio to 4g of protein per 14g of carbs (carbs and sugar = the same, when you are calculating so be sure to add them together to get your total carb input). And try that for a couple of weeks. If low sugars are the problem this will def. help. It may just take a couple weeks for your body to get better. I think it took me 2 weeks and then i was golden if i kept with it.e

Eat lots of vegtibles (i couldn't do fruits much because there is natural sugar in it and it would give me a low), eat nuts, fish, lots of meat, cheese, eggs all of that high protein stuff ;)

The GP sent me for a 5 hour GTT. I had a MAJOR reaction at 3 1/2 hours. (I was burning up in the 50 degree hospital. When I left my jeans were literally soaked. The nurse called my Dr to see if I could stop. He said no.) My sugar went up to 140, then dropped to 80 in an hour, but the dr told me that was a normal result. Nope, reactive hypoglycemia. Dang doctors.

Sounds similar. i get my spike and then my low appears about 2.5-3 hrs later, and not the 2 hrs, so no wonder it never showed up :dohh: ugh, always follow your instincts! I pushed to see a dietitian and i implore you to do the same if you think that could be whats up :hugs:

im spiking after meals so needing loads of insulin at the moment to keep levels under target. i do have shingles tho so dunno if thats affecting things. i eat high protein meals eg chicken n salad in tortilla wrap which can send me to 7 mmol then 3-4 hrs later im having a hypo. im the same with breakfast too - i cant eat any carbs first thing or the insulin i need to keep in target sends me hypo.

sounds like what youre talking about or am i wrong?

yeah thats pretty right on.
Breakfast was always the toughest thing for me....and one of the hardest to find something to eat! Can't eat cereal or toast or fruit. Basically had to be like sausage/eggs/bacon/etc. Def NO carbs at breakfast-at all. Once i was able to meet with the dietician and do the diet for a couple weeks then it wasn't as problemmatic (and i made sure to stick to that diet). You should eat between 80-100g of protein per day which is a heck of a lot but its better than vomiting imo.
And like my spike, was never above 120 (like they say you are diabetic at 120 or higher). but my spike would be more like 110, and then pretty soon it would drop down to 55. Ugh and vomiting was always my big indicator. I would wake up with my sugar steady at 70. They say the fasting sugar (when you wake in the morning) should be about 80-90 and anything less could indicate an issue....

thank God this time around i do not have the hypoglycemia!!!
When i was pregnant with DS i really think i was hypo bc of my thyroid. My levels were like 4.9 or something and per an ordinary family doctor he said that was normal....well its not. It shouldn't be hire than 3 and forr pregnant women it should be more about .5-1.00 it needs to be very low for a preggo lady...something that doc obviously didn't know :dohh: and since thyroid function and insulin and all of that good stuff are all a part of the endocrine system, it would make sense if one was out of wake, the other would be too....anyways, i did end up with PP Thyroiditis. It was hyper for a few months (this was after the baby) and then it was hypo and i gained 30lb :( Im seeing an endocrinologist now and getting treated....and im pretty sure that was my issue-an undiagnosed underactive thyroid is what i think caused the insulin resistance. Now that i am getting treated for my thyroid this go around, i have not had any signs of hypoglycemia and i can eat a bagel or cereal and not vomit. Which i am so glad about! lol

im spiking after meals so needing loads of insulin at the moment to keep levels under target. i do have shingles tho so dunno if thats affecting things. i eat high protein meals eg chicken n salad in tortilla wrap which can send me to 7 mmol then 3-4 hrs later im having a hypo. im the same with breakfast too - i cant eat any carbs first thing or the insulin i need to keep in target sends me hypo.

sounds like what youre talking about or am i wrong?

Yes, it's called reactive hypoglycemia. Eating a combination of carbs, protein, and fat help keep the BS from spiking, but it still happens at times.

yeah thats pretty right on.
Breakfast was always the toughest thing for me....and one of the hardest to find something to eat! Can't eat cereal or toast or fruit. Basically had to be like sausage/eggs/bacon/etc. Def NO carbs at breakfast-at all. Once i was able to meet with the dietician and do the diet for a couple weeks then it wasn't as problemmatic (and i made sure to stick to that diet). You should eat between 80-100g of protein per day which is a heck of a lot but its better than vomiting imo.
And like my spike, was never above 120 (like they say you are diabetic at 120 or higher). but my spike would be more like 110, and then pretty soon it would drop down to 55. Ugh and vomiting was always my big indicator. I would wake up with my sugar steady at 70. They say the fasting sugar (when you wake in the morning) should be about 80-90 and anything less could indicate an issue....

They say 70 fasting BS is normal (under 100 is really all they look for). Mine has almost always been in the mid to high 60's (and I have no symptoms then). 2 hours after eating BS should not be above 140 (hence why they said my readings were normal). BS monitors are not very accurate at low levels, so the only way to know for sure is with a blood draw test. (The doctor once did a finger prick of 50 on me. Blood draw a bit later was 68.)

ick, i get symptoms at 70 :sick: ugh, i think those test are crappy though bc it compares you to everyone else, which doesn't make sense in cases like ours. :dohh: i mean, some ppl are perfect and have no symptoms and not bothered by a 70 level reading, be me, OMG i vomit when i get to that point, and then its extreme, intense vomiting if i get down any lower. ugh. so icky. the best way, IMO (and the dietician said this as well), is just getting a glucose monitor and keeping track of it very very often, especially when symptoms start. She even said a lot of women will be classed as fine with those blood test, but once they start keeping track of food and BS on their own, thats when they actually see the issue :dohh: so i highly recommend, if you have one then check sugars EXTREMELY frequently for a few days. If you dont have one try to get one :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->