• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GD- Super High Glucose number

Js32313

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with GD in June. I have kept my numbers down with mostly diet. I do take insulin at night because my fasting number gets higher. My doc gave me insulin for before meals only if I have a higher carb meal. In the last week my numbers actually seemed lower and it was easier to manage. I think because I am back at work and on my feet a lot more. Well today at lunch I didn't make the best choice and ate more then I should have and after 2 hrs my number was 172. It's supposed to be under 120. I have only gone over 120 maybe a handful of times since June and never even close to that number. I waited and checked agian 2 hrs later and it's back down to 81. My question is will that one super high number hurt the baby or is it ok if I get it back under control?

Hey there!

I'm a Type 1 diabetic. I've been doing this insulin thing for years...and what you describe is one of the most frustrating things you will deal with when it comes to diabetes. In fact, there will be days when you eat the exact same thing for a meal that you ate the day before, but your blood sugar levels will be different. It's annoying to say the least.

I'm assuming you're in the third trimester. At this point your glucose numbers will probably start going up, sometimes by leaps and bounds. It has to do with the placenta and the hormones, and has nothing to do with you. :) You're not doing anything wrong.

A single number of 172 is not going to hurt your baby. You need to start worrying if the number goes up that high and stays there for several days. If you see a few more in that range, call your doctor to get advice on how much insulin you should take before your meals. You might need to go up a bit, and that might happen every week from now until the time your little one comes into the world.

I hope this helps. :) It sounds to me like you're doing great!

I was freaking out over a 153 yesterday morning after breakfast. I take Glyburide at bedtime for my fasting numbers. I normally have 1 or 2 a week that are between 120-125 after my 2 hour, but not as high as 153. I can't wait to stop having to prick myself 4 times a day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->