Gerber Diaper Service Quality Prefolds?

nightkd

Mum to two!
Reaction score
Are these as rubbish as the regular Gerber Prefolds? They're only like $11 for 6 at Target, so I was considering getting some to try.....

https://www.target.com/Gerber-Diape...-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin

Gerber aren't very good. They are ones people mostly use for burp cloths. They aren't very absorbent at all. Have you tried any prefolds yet? Or bought any since your LO isn't here. When you get them they are flat then you wash a lot and they quilt up....well Gerbers never quilt up. They really don't make good diapers

Even the diaper service quality? I haven't seen these before and they have MUCH better reviews (forgot Target did reviews before I posted this :dohh:) than the crappy thin ones I've looked at before...

BTW, I completely forgot to reply to your post in my other thread t'other day - I'm in Oklahoma City (we were discussing whether there might be a cloth diaper store near here...) - I have had a quick google and can't see anything, but not really sure what to look for. There are a few baby stores around here that I didn't know existed, but haven't had a chance to look in them yet!

I have some from the Cotton Babies website, that my mum bought...still need to prep them (doing that without a washer makes it bloody awkward! :lol:).... I'm holding out until I have a decent amount to put through the wash together - my mum only bought 2 preemie size and I really think we're going to need more! The infant size look LOADS bigger... Though I know they shrink down a bit..

xxx

Yeah these might be a bit better than their "guaze weave" but I haven't heard very good things about any of them. They might be ok for newborn since you have to change them so often anyways. And for that price even if they ended up being burp cloths or use them to dust or something lol it's not bad

I'll see if I can find a store in your area :)

You can prep prefolds by boiling them on the stove top with just a drop of Dawn...you know the dish soap? Just get the regular blue one

https://www.green-bambino.com/

Have you heard of this one?

Yeah these might be a bit better than their "guaze weave" but I haven't heard very good things about any of them. They might be ok for newborn since you have to change them so often anyways. And for that price even if they ended up being burp cloths or use them to dust or something lol it's not bad

I'll see if I can find a store in your area :)

You can prep prefolds by boiling them on the stove top with just a drop of Dawn...you know the dish soap? Just get the regular blue one

Thank you!! :D

I was actually going to ask if it's possible to handwash them or similar to prep them, would save me a lot of hassle atm! And what d'ya know, we have dawn and we have a big enough pan! :thumbup: Do you just boil them, dry them, boil them, dry them and so on until they're fluffy enough? (My little leaflet that came with them recommends 3-5 hot washes)....?

And this is a little OT, but what kind of washer do you have? :lol: We were looking at some washers in a discount place and they only had toploaders for about $200-300 and front loaders more like $600!! I would prefer a front loader from the efficiency POV, but we could go out and buy a $200-300 machine pretty easily, whereas $600 is a bit of a budget breaker, iykwim?

Does anyone know if it's worth the extra cost of the washer itself?

https://www.green-bambino.com/

Have you heard of this one?

No I haven't! Thanks...Will definitely check them out. I don't recognise the street address, but the zip code is similar to our old one, so they can't be far away...will ask DH tonight! :)

Yeah boil them for like 10-15min, dry them on hot, then do it again, usually twice should be enough. You will see them quilt up A LOT. You just need a touch of dawn in there and that's it

I have a top loader, I thought I wanted a front loader but I hear tons of people having trouble with them with cloth. You have to use very little detergent, they use less water and people get build up pretty easily.

I've heard the same thing about front loaders as well. Rockin' Green does a write about about it with their soap, but I suppose that would only work if you were planning on using their detergent.

I've got a top loader as well. Granted, we don't know the difference in our costs because we don't have a front loader and have never used one but to be honest there hasn't been that much of a spike in our bills from doing the extra loads once we started using cloth.

Besides, you can always save money by air drying when the weather allows for it. :mrgreen: Have fun shopping for one! I was beyond excited when I bought my first washer/dryer set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->