Gertie Beetle's 'that was it!'

Gertie beetle

Reaction score
Here's my birth story! i'd like to take the time to remind everyone that each and every birth is unique and to please not get 'psyched out' by reading anyone's birth story.

So the morning of April 4 I woke up with mild period type pain in the lower back. We were at my mums house where I planned to labour (she lives 15 mins from the hospital, i live 1.5 hrs) but as I had no previous indication that labour was on its way I thought it would turn into nothing so we decided to drive back home.

Half an hour before getting home I got my first contraction (11.30am) but still thought nothing of it. Within 2 hours contractions were a steady 5-7 mins apart so we decided to pack the car (which included packing the 2 dogs and 6 chickens!) and make our way back to mums.

By the time we got to mums (after we stopped for hot chips & to put my TENS on) contractions were every 5 mins.i decided to keep active so we went on a nice long walk and then I bounced around on the birth ball for a bit.

By 8pm the contractions were still around 4-5 mins apart and getting more intense so I had a bath for an hour. I had attended a calm birth course so I was breathing through the contractions, the lights were down low & I had lavender & clary sage burning. Which meant that OH fell asleep the entire time ;)

When I got out of the bath contractions were getting pretty intense so I walked the stairs for a bit but even that was too much. At midnight I hopped back into the bath but it was getting a lot less enjoyable by that stage as nausea had also set in.

At 2 am I noticed that I hadn't felt baby move for 4 hours so I called the hospital & they asked me to come in to get checked. Of course once we got there baby started kicking up a storm and we saw all was well. The mw then checked how dilated I was... 2cm!! Shattered! I decided to take the sleeping pills & panadeine that was offered as I started to lose my focus. Just before we left I started violently throwing up so I also got a shot in the bum to calm that down.

Once we got home I went straight to bed but heard a pop and had a small gush a fluid. I'm not sure if that was when my waters went as it was just a small amount of fluid but I decided to ignore it and try to sleep!

At about 5am I started waking up with each contraction and the pain was very intense. At 5.30 I got up and had a shower but the contractions were taking over me. I ended up laying on the floor 'roaring' through each contraction. They consumed my entire body and there was nothing that I could do to make them better.

At 8am my brother thought he'd stop by to see how I was- he took one look at me and decided then and there that I had to go to the hospital. I'm glad he was there & decided that for me. I'm pretty sure I was in transmission then but the mw I saw earlier told me not to come in until I felt contractions throughout my entire belly, not just lower down. Well, I never felt contractions throughout my entire belly!

By the time we got back to the hospital I was very very vocal. In fact, the mw didn't even bother checking how far along I was because she knew the baby was coming. I was taken into the labour room & I asked about getting into the bath but they suggested I take a shower instead. This is where I REALLY got vocal & both my partner and the mw had to cover their ears!

After 10 mins in the shower I asked for the gas, took one puff and then declared in that fabulously deep voice you get from the gas- "I need to puuuuush!"

I was led back to the bed where I pushed and pushed for an hour (the head of the bed was up so I was using gravity to try and help move baby down.) After an hour they had to hook me up to be constantly monitored and I pushed for about half an hour more before I tried the birth stool. That seemed to get baby moving & staying down (each previous push had baby bobbing down then up.)

When baby's head was locked & loaded I got back up on the bed and the baby started to crown. Holy. Moly. Was that intense. It took another good half an hour of pushing to get that head through as that burning was just too much for me. FINALLY after over 2 hours of pushing, baby's head popped out and then she just slid out. The mw passed her up through my legs and we had our very first cuddle :)

Unfortunately, it took an hour & 16 mins to push the placenta out (I wanted a natural 3rd stage) and in the end the mw had to help guide the placenta out while I pushed.

Baby Isis was born happy & healthy at 10.57am on April 5th weighing a nice 3.07kg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 10
She looks pretty happy and that doesn't sound to bad for first ime momma! Good job

Good job you did so well! Congratulations!

That is such a great birthing story. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your beautiful baby girl. She is super cute. x

Congratulations sweetie! Good job your brother ordered you to the hospital!

Isis is such a cutie! Well done you! Big hugs! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->