• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gestational Diabetes question

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
My OB ordered a random sugar draw around 18 weeks. I hadn't eaten that morning before I took the test, and it came back fine.

Now I'm going to be 27 weeks in a few days, and I put on 16lbs in one month, measuring ahead again, and my OB didn't want to order gestational diabetes testing again because of the random draw. She wants to wait and see for my next appointment on December 2. I don't want to risk gaining another 16lbs in 3 weeks or putting my baby at risk. I almost lost my last baby during labour and needed an emergency c-section. All the complications that lead to needing the Csection pointed towards me having had GD, but I was never tested for it, and now measuring ahead today plus the big weight gain, this is the same signs and same gestational onset from my last pregnancy.

Is it possible for a random draw to be normal if I was fasting, but still have GD? Should I push for testing? I'm almost thinking my OB thinks I had eaten when I got the blood draw

It's entirely possible to have GD but be fine with fasting tests. I had no issues with fasting, but my GTT result during my previous pregnancy was positive for GD. Basically you consume a high sugared drink, and you'll then be tested to see if your body can cope with it. If you think your OB hadn't realised you'd fasted then it would be best to point it out.

Ive had gd x3 and fasting sugars 98% of the time normal. It may not have been the case if my diet wasn't altered but still, I definitely had Gd!

I called my OB back and she said my fasting could definitely be normal, and still have GD. I did the 1 hour glucose this morning

I called my OB back and she said my fasting could definitely be normal, and still have GD. I did the 1 hour glucose this morning

I am glad she did that. My blood sugar didn't start going crazy until 24 weeks with DS. I hope it comes back good. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->