gestational diabetes :(

msq

Reaction score
Just been diagnosed with GD and I am worried because I dont know how I am going to manage a diet change. I will do it for my baby of course but I am afraid to eat anything right now because I feel like all of my choices aren't good ones. I haven't had any soda since finding out, or sweets so I assume I am doing okay so far and I will be meeting a dietician soon so I can learn how to manage this. I will have to monitor my sugar daily and if I can't control with diet I will have to go on insulin. I'm kind of freaking out! :(

Don't freak out. Yes you do need to change your diet. Soda is straight up sugar...it's probably better to get it out of your diet for good. GD is a sign that you could be more likely to get GD later in life so dropping things like sugary drinks is an easy way to help yourself out. Drink water, lots of it.

I was super worried I would be miserable...but when I met with the diabetes counselor at my doctors office I was very relieved. Basically the diet revolves around carbs. You can eat plenty of carbs, but they need to be broken up throughout the day. My doctor has me on a plan where I have:

30 carbs breakfast
15 carb snack
65 carb lunch
25 carb snack
65 carb dinner
25 carb snack

For breakfast I usually have a peanut butter sandwich or peanut butter on 1/2 bagel (whole grain bread/bagel/english muffin...no white bread)

For a snack greek yogurt (dannon light and fit is my fave) and sometimes I use it to make a smoothie with some fresh fruit.

For lunch - an apple, turkey or ham sandwich on whole wheat with lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo....then a frozen greek yogurt popsicle.

snack - crackers and cheese, nuts, fruit...just make sure to always have protein with your carbs

dinner - some kind of lean protein like steak, pork, chicken...a vegetable and a starch like a sweet potato or baked potato.

snack - strawberries with cool whip and a 1 graham cracker with peanut butter.

I have my snack late, since I sleep in usually...you want to go like 10.5-11 hours between snacking and testing your morning fasting # that is what works best for me.

So as you can see..I eat plenty and I'm completely satisfied AND I have only gained 2 pounds since the end of April yet the baby continues to grow at a healthy rate. I get an ultrasound and non stress test once a week and they won't let me go past the due date...so I feel good that I am being monitored...and things are going well, I have been diet controlled with good numbers since the beginning. Don't cheat your way through this...look at it as a way to make some changes that will help you stay healthy for the rest of your life. Doing it for your child is motivation enough but staying Diabetes free for life should be a good motivator as well.

Meat & Veggies are key! I had it with #2 and it was never high when I tested. I kept my diet very similar. Baby weighed 6lbs 12oz at birth and healthy!

It's going to be ok. :hugs:

Agree, Meat & Veggies! You can pretty much eat as much of those 2 things as you like. Eat fruit in moderation as they have natural sugars in them and diet soda is OK to drink as well too. I usually would eat most of my carbs for lunch and avoid cards for dinner. But I had what they call "impaired fasting glucose" where my blood sugar would stay high at night and be alright during the day.

Make sure to check your blood sugar before and after meals so you know how some foods affect your sugars.

I got diagnosed with GD on the 7th July as well. My numbers have been getting gradually higher before bed and fasting as well so I have to go to the hospital this afternoon as the consultant wants me to go on insulin at night time :(. Been really good with my diet and stuff. Cut out most sugar and only having small amount of fruit during the day just not working :(

i have it also i get pretty good reading except after breakfst sometimes, i eat chicken, veggies, wheat bread etc..

I've had it with this pregnancy. I've kept my numbers pretty low (with the occasional reading over 120 if I've indulged) by cutting out almost all carbs and sugar...honestly, its actually the healthiest diet I've ever been on! Lol.. Its tough at first when you're adjusting to your new 'menu' but pretty soon you'll be in the swing of things and you'll find it keeps your overall weight down during this pregnancy! I started out at 126 lbs pre-preg and am now 161 lbs at 38 weeks with twins! I'm 'all belly' and I credit my high protein, low carb, low sugar diet. Hang in there mama.. Its not the awful news you think. :hugs:

I just found out I have it today. :(
I have to wait to hear back to meet with a dietitian but until then she said just limit carbs and sugars. And she said I'd have to check my sugars 4 times a day and get a blood sugar monitor. Does that mean I have to prick my finger 4 times a day? LOL I'm sure you get used to it quickly but I feel like that's what I'm most nervous about!

I'm right there with you. I had it with my last pregnancy and once you get used to the diet and checking your blood sugar it really isn't that bad. It seems overwhelming at first but you will quickly adjust.

I have to wait to hear back to meet with a dietitian but until then she said just limit carbs and sugars. And she said I'd have to check my sugars 4 times a day and get a blood sugar monitor. Does that mean I have to prick my finger 4 times a day? LOL I'm sure you get used to it quickly but I feel like that's what I'm most nervous about!

I was worried about it but they will give you one where you just push it against the side of your finger, push a button and it does it for you. You won't have to like do the stabbing yourself. Sometimes it hurts a little sometimes none at all but after a week you'll be a pro at it.

Don't worry about it. The first few times are a little scary but you very quickly become a pro at it! One hint that I was given was to remember to change the needle in the pricking tool regularly so it doesn't become blunt as that's when it can hurt etc.

Thanks ladies. I probably won't get my monitor until next week as they said they have to run everything through my insurance first, and since it's Friday they probably won't hear back before the weekend. I told my DH that I was nervous and he said he will change his diet too if it would make me feel better. I said yes but asked if he will prick his finger too, and he said sure, he will have sympathy diabetes! LOL

Thanks ladies. I probably won't get my monitor until next week as they said they have to run everything through my insurance first, and since it's Friday they probably won't hear back before the weekend. I told my DH that I was nervous and he said he will change his diet too if it would make me feel better. I said yes but asked if he will prick his finger too, and he said sure, he will have sympathy diabetes! LOL

I made mine get stabbed by the thingy one time lol. That was it though because diabetes supplies are not cheap! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->