Gestational Diabetes :(

Think you need to ask at the hospital, get them to explain their reasons x

with gd it's dangerous to deliver early though. you need to watch them with that babies of diabetic mothers their lungs tend to not develop as fast as regular pregnancies. so make sure you talk to them about that before getting delievered early

Hello all

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I had a GTT at 29 weeks which came back negative (7.1 after 2 hours). My little one is measuring big for dates so they have said to have another GTT just to be on the safe side. Basically they want to know if it's GD (in which case they'll monitor me closely) or whether it's just a big baby (in which case I'll just have to push harder!)

Has anyone come up with a positive GTT after having a negative one earlier in pg? The registrar said it was just precautionary but I don't know how common it is.

Any thought would be much appreciated x

im all a bit confused now, been taking my insulin for a while and i went for a scan on friday and they said the baby was measuring a bit small now, on tuesday they want to give me a date for my induction but im wondering why i need one if baby is small, i need a tiny amount of insulin in labour but i saw what he wrote down and it was something like 4 units i think, i have been reading loads of stuff about induction not working and it ending up in a section anyway, i just dont know if the stress on me and the baby is worth it, if the baby is measuring small anyway i dont know what to think

Please dont panic, the reason they deliver GD babies early is because there is a slightly higher risk of stillbirth. This is because long term high blood sugar causes nerve damage and can start to damage the placenta later in pregnancy, that's why its important to keep your sugars withing target range. It sounds like you're on a small amount of insulin so the risk is very low, I was only on about 12 units a day just before I went into hospital.

If there was a serious risk to the baby by delivering early then it wouldn't be standard practice to deliver GD babies at 38 weeks

Hello all

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I had a GTT at 29 weeks which came back negative (7.1 after 2 hours). My little one is measuring big for dates so they have said to have another GTT just to be on the safe side. Basically they want to know if it's GD (in which case they'll monitor me closely) or whether it's just a big baby (in which case I'll just have to push harder!)

Has anyone come up with a positive GTT after having a negative one earlier in pg? The registrar said it was just precautionary but I don't know how common it is.

Any thought would be much appreciated x

I've had 2 so far, 6.8 first time(22wks), 7.8 second time (28wks) got another one 29/12 (32wks) since 7.8 is bordeline.

I just had a random blood test which resulted in a level of 7.9 so I have an intolerence test in a week's time. Was I supposed to fast before that test as I would have eaten breakfast less than 30 mins before??

Doctor's not worried as the baby is measuring well. Think I may just have overdone the Christmas treats - oops!

What do you think?

Hi everyone. Sorry to gatecrash your thread. But I got a call from a midwife today telling me my blood tests came back showing my blood sugar is ever so slightly high. I have to go for a glucose test on Tuesday and I'm a bit worried about it. I'm only 14 weeks so is it not a bit early to develop GD? I'm very overweight so I'm worried it's not GD but regular diabetes. I got tested for diabetes a year ago and I was ok then. Not only am I having the glucose test on Tuesday, but while I'm waiting for my second reading I am going for my first scan. Excited about my scan, nervous about my test.

Sorry for rambling, just wanted to get it off my chest.

Laura xx

before 24 weeks I was told was type 2 diabetes but they'd treat you like it was gd. i was diagnosed at 10 weeks and am insulin dependant now. you will also want if they do treat you for gd at your six week appointment after having the baby get tested again to make sure it's type 2. sometimes if you are border before pregnancy it shows up as type 2 during pregnancy

Ive had GD in 4 pregnancies now... with my first it was diagnosed late and caused abnormalities which resulted in a termination at 19 weeks. With the others ive had my gtt at 7-10 weeks and been on insulin right the way through. Everytime they have thought it was type 2 but its gone afterwards. This time im on high does of insulin im on 44,36,62 and 8 before bed.

My baby is measuring 4 weeks too big at the moment so am having to try and reduce levels even more so insulin is only going to increase :(

My other 2 were born at 38 weeks weighing 9lb and 8lb 13... the doc thinks this one is going to be bigger as at my 30 week scan he was 4lb already so im dreading the rest :(

I have had in issue with high fasting levels in the morning, which has my Dr. concerned. This morning, however, it was only 77. Is this too low? Why would it be so low?

hey everyone!

im 16 and i may have GD. my mom had it wen she was pregnant with my brother and is still diabetic now. since it can be genetic she decided to poke my finger and test my bloodsugar levels after i ate and they are very high. 159. my cousin is my nurse at obgyn and has told me to start testing in the mornings and an hour after i eat and she is going to talk to the dr tuesday to see about doing glucose test early. im really scared and any advice or anything would be great!

If it does turn out that you have GD dont panic! It can be controlled and certainly isnt the end of the world, I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago.

What I can suggest is start to have a look at what you eat, its the carb intake that counts. I am allowed 40g of carbs for my 3 main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and a couple of snacks at around 10 carbs each. Even if you dont have it now, breakfast is really important!

Some simple changes can be made, like if you have white bread swop it for brown, dont have full sugar drinks and maybe try sweetner in hot drinks instead of sugar.

If you next test does come back high it doesnt mean you will have to go on insulin, it can be controlled my pills. I take metformin for mine. I am presuming that you may know this already having a diabetic brother.

Try not to worry about the test and let us know how it goes :hugs:

Sorry, dont know why my message has a thumbs down, wasnt intentional!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->