Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Agreed! Otter had those kinds of punch ups with my bbs off and on until he was 4-5 months old. Sometimes they would last for a day or two, sometimes it seemed it would be every day for weeks. :wacko:

Just make her work it out... you'll both get through it! :hugs:

^exactly.

Think about it, if formula and bottles didnt exist, we would have to make breastfeeding work. im not saying that formula doesnt have a place in the world, but i do think that western society relies on it far too much. i know thats kind of off topic but i just get so frustrated when the whole world seems to blame breastfeeding for everything, you know? My grandads partner even had the audacity to say to me once that the reason why Jack was unsettled as a baby was because i was breastfeeding and that i should "give him a bottle so he is properly satisfied" :facepalm:

M's poo has had small bits of green in it for a week or so, but tonight her poo was completely dark green. It wasn't frothy.
How likely is it to be a milk imbalance? Up until this week she'd feed for 10 minutes on one breast and be done. Since her growth spurt, she takes nearer 20 mins on one breast and then sometimes I offer her the second one as the first breast feels empty and if I try to hand express only a drop or two will come out.

She's really gassy (but has been since birth) and she wakes herself up all the time straining to fart/poo. Also, she does an explosive poo usually once a day, but nearly every time I change her nappy there is a small bit of poo - like she's followed through when she farts. Not sure if that's normal?

I've cut out dairy for over a week now so doubt it's that causing the green poo seeing as it's got worse and not better.

I'm at a loss!

that sounds very much like my son was at that age honey! i think it could easily be just an immature digestive system struggling to move everything through. If you are concerned that baby isnt getting enough hind milk, just make sure that she empties the breast fully before you offer the other one. If she is gaining weight steadily then i am sure it is nothing to worry about. Green poo can be a sign of colic, too, and that would explain her other behaviour :hugs:

oh, and the following through is completely normal :hugs:

I'm looking for a bit of help and advice with expressing. Here is my story:

I had my baby, Sophie, 13 weeks early due to pre eclampsia so I'm exclusively expressing for her. I was taught in the hospital to hand express and told to do that every 3 hours. I wasn't getting much at all at the start but stuck with it. I had a hand pump at home and didn't get on too well with it as I was having to use it so often and it was quite sore, also tiring!

I now have a medela swing and I'm getting on much better with it and getting better amounts of milk. When I use the hospital pump I get even more - 100ml almost every time.

My problem really is that we are a 120 mile round trip from the hospital, which is pretty exhausting along with the emotional stress, and fitting in every 3 hours is hard on the days I go to the hospital. I usually need to sleep a bit later in the mornings because i am so tired. Here is my usual routine:

I go to the hospital Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. I was advised to have some days at home as well to get myself fit for Sophie coming home.

On the weekdays, either my parents or my father in law takes me up, leaving here at 1.30. We arrive at the hospital for 3, which is the start of visiting time (although I can go in any time). The visitors usually stay till 4ish, I go and express. DH comes in at 5 after work and we stay on a while. So really I'm only expressing once in the morning, once in the afternoon and twice in the evening on those days and I'm worried my supply will be affected.

The days I'm at home, I express strictly every three hours. Today I got 170ml at 10am (I had been bad and not got up at all through the night because I had a banging headache!). I got 70ml at 2.30, 50ml at 6.30, 75ml at 10.30. It takes me at least an hour, often more so I have been counting 3 hours from when I finish to when I next start.

I would like to know what to do about getting up through the night. I have tried keeping going with the every 3 hours right through the night but that makes me too knackered to cope with the hospital trips too. I have also tried expressing late - like 12am and leaving it through to 7 but I wake up really uncomfortable and feeling guilty. I have also tried going to bed really early to get a few hours sleep in, then getting up at 1.30 or 2.

If someone could advise me what's good for through the night, and give me a bit of help with routines on the hospital days that would be brilliant. Sorry I have not explained all this very well, my brain feels muddled tonight and the evil headache is back with a vengeance! I'm really worried in case my supply goes down or is not as good as it should be by this point. Sophie is 6 and a half weeks old. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you :)

Congrats on your baby, hon! And good for you for expressing for her.

This is obviously a tricky situation!

I think your best bet is to try really hard to add in a session at night. Either by doing it late, then sleeping until 7 (like you said) or by going to bed early and then waking once in the middle of the night.

You can also express for a longer period -- 10 minutes or so past when you stop getting milk -- and that should increase the amount you get each time.

Also, do your 3 hour count from the start of your pumping session. That is how you time feeds from baby, too. So, if you start pumping at 12, the next session starts at 3.

Is she getting formula now too, or just your milk?

I'll be completely honest -- I think you are doing a fastastic job by doing as much as you are. As long as you keep at what you are doing, I think you will do fine. There are supplements you can use to increase your supply, too, but I don't know about the "safety" of them in preemies. Either way, as long as you have a reasonable supply (and is sounds like you do), it can increase and adjust to her needs when she gets home and the expressing around hospital trips aren't so hard.

In the meantime, it is important that you take care of you, too! So, just do the best you can and feel good that it is enough. It doesn't make any sense to drive yourself into the ground just to produce a little more milk. That wouldn't be good for you or Sophie.

Big :hugs:! You should be proud of yourself.

Firstly, congratulations on the birth of your little girl and huge kudos to you for having kept up with the expressing.

The thing about milk supply is that its pretty necessary to feed/pump through the night. At night is when the levels of Prolactin are at their highest, and this hormone is responsible for increasing and maintaining your supply. So in short, yes, it is important that you continue to express at night.

However, i can see how tiring this must be for you. I mean, nursing a baby every 2-3 hours through the night is exhausting but its much easier to drag a baby into bed with you and feed it than it is to set up your pump, express, store the milk etc etc. A breast pump is never going to stimulate your breasts as well as a baby will, so its important to keep up the momentum.

If i were you, i would step up the amount of times/length of time you express in the day time to begin with. Stick with your 3 hourly routine if you like, but try to squeeze in a couple more pumping sessions. even if you dont manage to get much out, it will still help your supply.

Good luck and well done honey you're doing great. Rest in the day as much as you can, too, as that will help your supply (and your sanity!)

Hiya girls :wave: I know its early days but Im starting to think about how I will feed my baby, I am hoping to breastfeed :thumbup: The only thing is when I have subtly said to people I dont think I will be needing bottles, sterilizer etc they have looked at me like Im mad and basically said 'Oh right, well we'll see...' !!

No one in my family has breastfed, my mum said she tried but it felt horrible and she couldnt but no one else in the family even tried. My OH's mum breastfed all hers, but were not close and I dont feel comfortable asking her for advice :blush: My OH want me to BF too.

Basically Im just looking for a bit of beginner information, advice and basically a heads up! Is it really as hard as people make out!? And what will I do when I am out and have to feed my baby? Ive read stories of people being chucked off buses for breastfeeding! xxx

I've only been doing it a few weeks so not the best person to offer advice - but that story of the woman who got thrown off the bus turned out that she lied about the whole thing! There's a law coming in soon which makes it illegal for anyone to ask you to move (or stop) breastfeeding anywhere in public.

I personally got a cheap-ish steriliser, hand pump and 6 bottles for when I want to express. I think Asda's baby event is on at the mo and they usually have those bits quite cheap (think I paid £25 for the lot) You definitey don't NEED them though, especially to start with.

I'm lucky- I didn't really suffer with nipple pain etc but covered myself in Lansinoh all the time which probably helped. The hardest bits for me have been worrying she's not getting enough, and engorgement when my milk came in, I get quite feverish and my whole body feels like it's been hit by a bus! Engorgement only lasts a day or two though and not very often as long as you feed every 2-3 hours. My LO has put on 1lb 12oz since birth 3 weeks ago, seeing as most babies lose weight before putting on, and a 'good' weight gain is 5-7oz a week, I'm so proud that my LO has put on the equivilant of 9oz a week! It really helps when you know how well you're providing for your baby!

The support I've got from ladies on here has been so valuable. I've been close to quitting a few times but the advice I've got on here has helped me persavere and get where I am now. It is hard - especially when your OH can't do a night feed so you can sleep, but there are other things you can do. My OH takes M downstairs after I've done the 11pm feed and burps her and cuddles her to sleep. He brings her up to me a couple of hours later when she needs feeding again. This gives me 2 or 3 hours of sleep where I'm not disturbed by M grunting in her sleep in the Moses basket next to me!

I've waffled long enough! I'll let the experts give you some proper advice!

congrats on your pregnancy, and its wonderful that you want to breastfeed :D

You hear a lot of horror stories about how hard it is and yes, it can be hard at times, but not all women struggle! :) either way, though, its always worth persevering through the hard times. the important thing is getting yourself a good support network now. I really recommend going along to your local La Leche League meetings and start meeting some other breastfeeding mums who know what they are talking about. Theres a lot of rubbish talked about breastfeeding, and even the advice in the mainstream baby magazines is usually very very bad - they encourage women to use things like nipple shields (which, although useful in some situations, usually cause more problems than they solve) and to schedule feeds.

When it comes to breastfeeding, your baby will lead the way with regards to how long they want to feed, how often, etc etc. it is always best to feed on demand and you will get to know the subtle signs that your baby wants to feed as you get to know them. Crying is usually the very last sign! :)

whatever happens, dont stress about it now :) i really cant recommend enough avoiding buying any bottles, formula, etc etc "just in case", theres no point. 99.9% of women are perfectly capable of producing enough milk for their babies and, thanks to incorrect information, a lot of women stop feeding because they think they havent got enough when really they have. Expressing can be useful later down the line, but again theres no point in rushing out and buying a pump now. you dont have to pump, all you need to breastfeed are your boobs! And to be honest, all of the sterilising and storing the milk correctly etc etc is such a hassle, its so much easier to just pop the baby onto the breast and have done with it! theres lots of other things daddy can do to help. Our little routine, when jack was little, was as follows: i would give jack his last feed before bedtime, and then my OH would take over and wind him and cuddle him until he fell asleep whilst i went straight to bed and got a couple of unbroken hours sleep, to fuel me for the night ahead.

A really good book to read is "The Womanly art of Breastfeeding", published by La Leche League international. It is full of information and encouragement and was compiled by mothers who have breastfed successfully, often through difficulty.

Whatever you do, dont put any pressure on yourself, okay? when i was pregnant with my son, and indeed for the first month or so of his life, i didnt think i would breastfeed past 6 months. My son weaned himself from the breast at 25 months. You really cant imagine how fantastic it is until youve done it. for the first 2-3 months of Jack's life, i didnt even really enjoy doing it that much, thanks to post natal depression and generally not bonding with him properly. but then we hit the 3 month mark and it just became SO easy, and so rewarding, and i couldnt ever imagine why we would stop! :D

i'm not quite sure if this question belongs but my main question has to do with breastfeeding.

i'm 17 and my daughter is 3 weeks old. last night, i had my first co-sleeping night and the shirt i wore to bed was just a singlet and when i needed to feed i would simply pull the strap down over my shoulder and feed her while lying down. i am going to co-sleep again tonight and i am hoping to continue to do it long term. i was just wondering if this is the correct way of breastfeeding while lying down. should i be using a pillow to support the breast, or her? is there different shirts i should be wearing to bed for better support during the night?

sorry for all the questions, i just dont want to continue doing this one way and then find out months later i was doing the wrong thing all along :haha:
thanks.

If it is working for you, go with it. I wouldn't use a pillow. If you are co-sleeping keep all extra pillows and blankets as far from baby as possible. They are what pose the suffocation risk. If you need help positioning her better for a better latch, you can get a sleep positioner for her.

Just make sure your clothes aren't too loose fitting or have strings/ties. Anything that she can get tangled in or get her nose pressed into can be a hazard for co-sleeping.

I love co-sleeping and it has been a life saver for me!

like tigerlady said, do whatever works for you! :) the position i used to feed in bed was this one: i would lay on my left side (for ease of explaining lol) and have baby lay in the crook of my left arm whilst feeding. some people find it more comfy to have their arm free. its all down to what works for you! as long as you are following the safe co-sleeping guidelines, there are no rules to the right or wrong way to feed in bed :)

okay. thank you so much.
i'm still all new to it all, so i haven't used pillows as of yet simply because of the suffocation risk.
thank you so much. :)

Hello, in need of help please!!!
Little one is 3 weeks tomorrow and I'm on the verge of giving up but really don't want to...issues are baby born by forceps - being treated by chiropractor as problems with jaw, difficult latch because of jaw, sucking with tongue. Was jaundiced after birth due to forceps so advised to wake and feed every two hours but baby feeds from 1.5 hours to 7+ hours so constantly feeding. Now past birth weight so getting enough milk but it takes sooo long!
Trouble latching on right breast - flatter but not totally flat nipple, baby has started to try once a day for last few days, previously refused but still not sucking very hard - not sure if jaw/muscle related.
Please help!!!!!:cry::shrug:
Thank you!

Hi sweetie!

First of all, congratulations on your little girl and on continuing to breastfeed through difficulty!

Its important to remember that babies feed for a lot of reasons other than hunger. They feed for comfort; and to feel like they are part of you again. these reasons are just as valid and as real as their hunger. You had what sounds like a traumatic delivery, and your baby needs you to be able to recover from that. And you need her, too. Nursing will help you both heal from your experience. It sounds to me like you are doing everything right and that things will continue to improve. Hang in there, honey! Have you got a breastfeeding group locally? our local sure start childrens centre runs one that i volunteer at, and we also have a La Leche League group. its really important that you find some mother-to-mother support at the moment, you need to feel like you arent alone.

If baby is gaining weight and feeding is getting easier, then what you need to be focusing on is finding ways to meet her needs as easily as possible. Breastfeeding in the early days is SO exhausting and sometimes you can feel like nothing but a milk machine! but i promise promise promise you this will pass. Try your best to relax and forget about the housework (i know how hard it can be). Invest in a good sling (wraps are great for breastfeeding on the go), and spend lots of time cuddling skin-to-skin with your baby.

This time in her life will pass so quickly. I never thought i would hear myself say that. i struggled a lot with the demands of my son when he was little, but i look back now and it just went in the blink of an eye. You might consider co-sleeping too, whether thats with baby in your bed or in the cot with the side down (like a sidecar). you can experiment with different ways of feeding lying down which will make her night time feeds easier for you. you barely even have to wake up! it takes some practice though.

Feel free to PM me if you like, too. You need to make sure you have as much support as possible behind you right now, this is a crucial time.

I believe in you hun, you can get through this and it will get so much easier soon, i swear! xxx

Hi, me again! So last week I discovered a red sore patch on my right boob and feelt a bit off. I thought it was the beginning of mastitis, when I saw the midwife the next day she said just to nip it in the bud and go get some antiobiotics. Well I've done my course and it's fine now, only I think I now have thrush :(.

Flora is mostly fine but gets really fussy on the nipple and sometimes cries as well at the end of a feed. However its my breasts - they hurt after feeding! the initial latch is still painful with a sharp deep pain, but the feed itself isn't too bad but definitely uncomfortable. after feeding there is a sharp pain in my breasts and nipples for some time.

So self diagnosing I think its thrush and have made a gp appt on monday. any experience with this? will it clear up quickly with medication? preventative measures for the future? I am not at all considering giving up bfing but it sure is testing sometimes!

argh, thrush is such a nightmare! it definitely sounds like thats what the problem is. i had it for weeks because the doctor refused to treat us both at the same time until i was in agony and crying at every feed because it was so painful. they will probably prescribe nystan/nystatin drops for your little one, and a cream for your nipples. they gave me canesten to begin with but my nipples were so red and sore she eventually gave me canesten hydrocortisone cream which sorted it out brilliantly :) good luck honey and keep pushing through it! you're doing great! eat lots of natural live yoghurt too, that will help restore the internal balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->