Getting a 4 year old to wear glasses

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
My 4 year old daughter has special needs and due to an undiagnosed genetic condition, her vision is failing, and fast. She's gone from 20/20 vision in both eyes in October to 20/40 in her right and 20/30 in her left as of yesterday.

The opthamologist has prescribed her glasses with two different strengths in an attempt to strengthen her right eye, the weaker one. So we'll be picking them up tomorrow.

Has anyone else ever had to get their young child, special needs or not, to wear glasses? Anyone have any tips or tricks to get her to keep them on, because we already know it's going to be a struggle.

What about getting a nice glasses case too, to make it more appealing. They do lots of nice glasses now, get some girly ones and she may surprise you x

Hello, my son had to start wearing glasses at the age of 3 and a half. We were concerned too that he would not wear them but he surprised us. We took him with us to get measured for the glasses and he helped us pick some for him that he liked (and we liked and were suitable for him) and then while we waited the few days for them to get made with the right lenses in we kept telling him that he was getting glasses like grandma (it helped that his nan wore them) and when we picked them up we took them home in the box and put them on him at home. At first he did keep taking them off and looking at his self with them on and taking them on and off, but each time he took them off we just put them back on without too much fuss and said gently you need to wear these all the time darling put them back on and after only about 1 week he did get used to it. after a few months of gently reminding him he had to put them on as soon as he woke up and take them off at bed he then began to just do it automatically. we got everyone to say how nice he looked in them and encourage him too and he did surprise us.

good luck hun i am sure your lo will be fine too.

hope this helps.xx

my son also had to then wear a patch which was another kettle of fish and did cause problems but again he wears that now for 3 hours a day no probs xx

marie

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->