Getting her off her dummy

cherylanne

Mum/first tri #2
Reaction score
My daughter has had a dummy since she was 4 months old. She uses it to get herself to sleep and if she has fallen etc. The problem is that she is starting pre-school in september and i want to get rid of it before then.

I have no clue how to go about this because when i put her in bed without it she screams for hours no matter how much we try to comfort her :hissy:.

Any ideas/tips on how to get her to sleep without it?

When my step mum was weaning my little brother of his (who used to suck on one an hold one incase he lost on of them, he was doted to them) but she told him big boys don't use dummies, which didn't work at first but the more she said it to him the more he wanted to act like a 'big boy' so he could play with the other big kids when he started nursery.

When that didn't work with my younger sister she just told her the tooth fairy came an took it away an left her some money for sweeties instead an she loved that idea.

xx

I like the tooth fairy idea, i have told her big girls don't have dummies, but that doesn't bother her at all lol.

Thanks for the help i'll give the fairy a try xx

With my little brother my mum gradually "lost" them one by one....(he had loads all over the place) until he only had one left.....he was balling his eyes out when the last one was lost but she said come on where are you dummy...and playing it into a game...so they searched and searched and searched til he was literally falling asleep....(it was very tedious for my mum!)....she did this every night that he asked for the dummy...and again they searched and searched and she would tell him they will find it in the morning...this carried on for about 5 days....she kept distracting him at bedtime with a story etc to stop him thinking about the dummy ("lets have a rest looking for the dummy and read this book and look for it again after...by which time by the end of the book he was falling asleep))....then he just stopped asking for it and that was that...!!

Good luck! x

my sil cut the ends off all the dummies and as soon as her daughter put it in her mouth she got no satisfaction from it and through it away herself x

my sil cut the ends off all the dummies and as soon as her daughter put it in her mouth she got no satisfaction from it and through it away herself x

my best friend did the same with her son and it worked a charm.

how did it go? x

Hi hun, not good :rofl: She was so tired from nursery, she screamed from 6:45pm till 9:00pm and my OH ended up giving it back to her.

I hate it when she is so upset.

Thanks for the advice we gonna try again tonight

Thanks for the tips ladies, we might end up trying all of them. She having a bit of a late night tonight (she just going now at 8:15pm) hopefully she will e that tired she won't kick up to much of a fuss when the faires have taked the dummy from in her bed.

Wish me luck!!!

Probably a bit premature of me but I'd be really interested to know what one works for you as I've got dummies for lil man but don't want him to be on them long when he gets here so would be good to have a plan already.

Hope it goes well.

xx

When i was trying to get my daughter off dummies we burried them all in the garden and told her that in about a month they would grow more, she eventually forgot about it and was dummy free!

Bethanie is getting clingy with her dummy recently - "wheres num num??" she says repeatedly whilst searching under the bed and stuff, it's so funny to watch.

My mum told me and my brother that Santa took it (christmas may be too long to wait for you though). Im interested to know what works for you too. :)

Hi and thanks again for your replies. I thought i'd let you all know how we're doing.

Well we are not completly off the dummies yet!!! :baby: We just stopped letting her have them and tryed to make her "go cold turkey" so to speak. Did not go well!!!! :hissy: She stayed up hours and one night she was still awake at 11pm so we gave in and let her have it!!!! :dohh:

So that didn't work, we have managed to completely stop it during the day (even at nap time) so that's good. :happydance:

We are now going to go with plan B - Bury them in the garden!!! We grow vegetables and Grace loves it so we will now be growing a special plant.
I'll report back in a couple of days

Keep suggestions coming, i've a feeling we'll use them all
:help:

With Asia i did actually lose them, she was tired so i told her to go to bed and i would look for it, well she fell asleep without it, that was it, a few days of asking for it. I didn't give one to my son, and he sleeps so much better than what Asia does, and i blame the dummy. Good luck getting rid of them, they are more hassle than they are worth.

My son was dummy and blanket mad!! Your daughter sounds very much like him!!

However, he did have a minor speech problem so we went to see the health visitor who said the dummies weren't helping matters. (he was about 2 1/2)

So that night i threw away all of the dummies!!

It was a total nightmare at first, but i couldn't give him a dummy as i didn't have any to give him.

After about 4 nights of crying he eventually realised that he wasn't having a dummy anymore.

It was very hard at the time, it really upset me, but i'm so glad we did it as his speech is much better.

My next problem was that he liked to have milk in a bottle before bed. We finally stopped this at christmas, 2 months before his 3rd birthday.

Together we wrote a letter for santa asking him to swop the bottle for a red bike and santa even wrote a letter back!!!

This worked well although 2 days later we did have tears and he wanted to swop it back but he soon forgot about it.

Sounds like you have made great progress though. If your LO will have her dummy just at night, its much better than her having 24/7.

Good luck, i know what your going through xx

P.S

Sorry for the long thread, hope you haven't nodded off by the end of it!!

My daughter was a nightmare with her dummy, she screamed night after night, but i was not going to give in, and i dident and she got used to the idea.
My eldest son wouldent have one at all, why would he want a dummy when he had his thumb :dohh: which he still sucks to this day, but only when hes tired.
My youngest had a dummy, but he HAD to have HE'S dummy, no other would do, so when i lost it on tesco carpark when he was 9 months old, he was devastated, i went and bought the same dummy from boots, but it dident have that "sucked for 9 month" feel to it, so he wasent interested and got used to the idea of just not having one.

Good luck with you little madam, she'll get her head round the idea soon.

I'm having the same thing with my daughter. She's 3.5 and she only has her dummy at night and not in the day at all. We've tried the santa thing and the fairy thing and it's not worked. We said about tying the dummy to a tree and the dummy fairy replacing it with a present but she goes mad and gets so upset. We keep saying big girls don't have dummies but she just won't give it up! I don't know if to just go cold turkey with her?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->