Getting ready to run?

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
I want to run a 5K next March,

But I have to quit smoking and learn to run before then.

Have to quit smoking because I will die running otherwise, have to learn to run because I feel like I run like a fairy and feel embarrassed running in public lol.

There is a 5K and a 30K every March here, I feel like it is an attainable goal, etc. I keep feeling like running lately, sometimes a song or a mood or a book will make me want to, sometimes stress, I've just got no idea where to start!

Any tips?
I don't run at all.. how much should I start out with?
What kind of shoes should I buy?
What kind of clothes are the most comfortable?
Specific stretches, websites, etc I can look at?

I want to run a 5K next March,

But I have to quit smoking and learn to run before then.

Have to quit smoking because I will die running otherwise, have to learn to run because I feel like I run like a fairy and feel embarrassed running in public lol.

There is a 5K and a 30K every March here, I feel like it is an attainable goal, etc. I keep feeling like running lately, sometimes a song or a mood or a book will make me want to, sometimes stress, I've just got no idea where to start!

Any tips?
I don't run at all.. how much should I start out with?
What kind of shoes should I buy?
What kind of clothes are the most comfortable?
Specific stretches, websites, etc I can look at?

I just wanted to offer you some words of encouragement. My Mum is 51, she smoked from being 7 years old (yes, you read that right!!!), she quit about 7 years ago and started running, since then she has run numerous 10k's and 2 half marathons (13.1 miles!) :thumbup:

Ok, to start with, I would suggest walking for 1 minute and then running for 1 minute - repeat this 10 times (10 mins in total). Do this for a week or so (maybe 3 times in a week).

When you feel ready, increase it so you're out for 15 minutes, and then 20. Then, start to reduce the time you walk for, and increase the time you run for. BUPA do some good training plans :thumbup:

If you have a specific running shop near you, I would go and get fitted for some decent trainers. Asics, Puma, Nike and Adidas are all quite good brands, but you need to get a pair to suit you feet.

Make sure you get a decent sports bra!

I just run in tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt. Technical t-shirts are good, coz they keep the sweat away from your body.

See if you can find the training plans on the BUPA webiste - that's a really good place to start.

Good luck!!! :flower:

xx

Thanks, we have a "Running Room" and "The Runners Den" in town so I will head over probably! :) And thanks for the encouragement especially. I had my daughter when I was 18, I never had to do much work to stay fit, I made unhealthy decisions, ie: smoking, not eating properly, binge drinking etc, and though I am much more reformed now, I need to quit smoking- I only have about 5 per day though. Mostly at work so I won't eat McDonald's the whole time lol. But I do need to make better eating habits too. I like healthy foods, so it shouldn't be too rough.

If you can afford it, the Running Room and their walk/run clinics are the best place to get started!

I think I really do probably need a class, I have a pigeon toe lol

If you have an iPhone or similar, download the couch to 5K app :thumbup: It's fantastic, and you'll be running 5K in a couple of months.

Ah thanks!! I don't have an iPhone (have a Blackberry) but am looking to get a Samsung Galaxy or Nexus S soon... my Blackberry is running like crap, after over a year absolutely no problems all of a sudden it just sucks. So maybe I can download it on OH's BB Torch.. :)

If you google it, then do an online version too. Basically takes you from 0 fitness couch potato to being able to run a 5K confidently. It starts you walking three times a week and ups it gradually from there.

I have Couch 2 5k for my blackberry! It works good - and was free! I know quite a few people who have used the program and say it really works!!!

Good luck!!!

Last year I used Couch to 5k, ran one 5k and then didn't run for a year. I signed up for the same race, hadn't run in a year, and was smoking about like you, maybe 5 a day. I don't recommend it, but it can be done. I've done 2 5ks this year, with my next on Monday. I still have barely been running and still smoking. I have been biking though. Definitely get some good shoes, mine suck. And if you have big boobs like me, wear two sports bras. :)

I've quit smoking :) 2nd day without and feeling great, the first day was a bit rough, felt sick

Im going to start the couch to 5K this coming week! Im going to hopefully run a 5K in october :) I took up smoking again after losing my baby girl and it was a very bad choice at a very bad time in my life but I quit 3 times in my life...your doing great quitting! I only had success quitting cold turkey its the only way I can do it so monday Im throwing what I have out and done with it for good this time! good luck! :)

Good luck! I've never tried anything but cold turkey, and never had too much of a problem with it, I'm on day 3 now... won't be able to smoke easily all weekend so providing I don't get too drunk (going to visit family, parties Fri & Sat)... I will be a real 'quitter' come Sunday when I return home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->