Getting really nervous about having a home birth - can I have some reassurance?

wellyboot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 38 weeks pregnant with number 3, and meant to be having a home birth. This is because I've had two precipitate labours, live a long way from hospital and really can't face the prospect of another horrendous drive to hospital, trying desperately not to give birth into the footwell of the car.

But I'm getting really, really nervous about having a home birth and although the drive to hospital has been awful, I've had really positive hospital births. Suddenly I've got the fear of the unknown again. I don't know which room I should give birth in, I'm worried about my children being there if things are too fast (or waking them if I give birth in the night), whether I should call the midwife as soon as I have the first contraction (given my history) or wait for a bit. I'm far less confident about this birth than the other two, which is daft given that it's my third! Generally, I feel other people have home births because they're in that mindset and have been able to weigh up the options, whereas I've been really happy with giving birth in hospital but don't think I can risk the journey. And I'm getting wound up that if I'm nervous about a home birth, it might not go too well. I've had two great births, but can't seem to relax about this one.

Reading this back through, I sound totally irrational and hormonal, but can anyone offer anything that might help?

Thanks,

Welly xx

Really there's no reason to worry about what room you will give birth because every birth is different and you can't know what you will want until it happens. I had fully planned on birthing my girl in the water, but once my water broke I felt like I had to head for dry ground.. I ended up in my bed pushing. Unfortunately I only lined half the bed under the sheets, and had her on the other side of the bed that had no liner! All you can do is make sure you have enough chux pads for whatever room you might want to be in.. and a shower curtain for beneath the bed sheets!

I am sure having had homebirths before you really trust the people helping you deliver your baby. If you are low-risk then you really shouldn't worry. I know how it is though, in the last weeks we will always find something to stress over, just keep trying to talk yourself down and plan everything out the best you can. :)

ETA: I called my midwife about an hour or two before I was really in active labor. My contractions were consistently 5-7 mins apart from the start, so I waited until they were really close before I called... an hour after they arrived I got in the pool, and ended up having my baby a couple hours after that. Just call them when you need help dealing with the contractions.

The nice thing about being at home is, you can really do what you want. If you feel like getting in the bath, do it. If you feel like going to your bed, or walking around the kitchen, do it. If you want to go for a walk out in the garden or wherever - DO IT! You do not have to make these decisions now and if you do, that's OK.... and if you do but change your mind later, that is ALSO OK.

Here is the thing: you can change your mind about your place of birth pretty much any time. When crowning is probably a bit late, mind.

Fast labours mean your body works very WELL when it comes to birth. You have every reason to trust it.

One of the reasons I went for homebirth was because id heard so much of people going back and forth to the hospital and being sent home because they wernt in established labour.
The good thing with home birth is the midwife does the travelling. Call her as soon as you feel you want someone with you - if its really realy to early she'll check you over and leave for a little while but no doubt shell stay and youll feel good.
Call as soon as you want.
Best of luck I think youll love your home birth experience - like you said its just the unknown at the moment.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->