Gianna Elizabeth has arrived - 11.5 weeks early!

RubyRainbows

TTC Baby#2 Since Oct/2009
Reaction score
My first niece has arrived!!!! My brother's girlfriend was having a very smooth & uneventful (the best kind!) of pregnancy. Last week she started having a headache & started noticing swelling in her hands, feet, & face. She went to her doctor on Thursday & her blood pressure was extremely high & protein in her urine! The swelling got really really bad too! They sent her by ambulance to a hospital that specializes in high risk pregnancies, about an hour & a half away. They were able to get her BP down & diagnosed her with pre-eclampsia. Their goal was to keep her pregnant for at least 48 hours so the baby could get a few steroid injections to develop her lungs. She made it from Thursday until Monday morning. In the middle of the night her BP started getting high again, so they delivered baby Gianna! She weighs 2lbs 8oz and is 13 3/4 inches! This whole situation has been so scary & nerve wracking! I know she has a long road ahead. But after reading all your stories & seeing pictures of your babies getting big & strong-- i feel very hopeful! Please keep her in your thoughts & prayers!

Congratulations on becoming an auntie, sending my thoughts and prayers for Gianna Elizabeth. :hugs:

I myself was a pre mature baby, I arrived on the 29th of March and I was due on the 27th of June, I weighed 2lb 11oz.

xx

what a great weight too! :) thinking of her family

Sb -- i was reading thru your journal -- your little preemie princess is adorable!

She's mad too, i dunno what they put in her milk lol! :)

Congrats as an auntie, the birth weight is good.
All will be well
:hugs:

Congratulations Auntie MommyTammyPA :happydance::happydance:. I really hope little Gianna thrives. The fact that the steroids had a chance to work on her is a really good thing :thumbup:. Best wishes to you and your family. :hugs:. xx

Congratulations. Chloe and Jaycee were born at 29 weeks!! x

Congratulations on the birth of your niece!

Just wanted to let you know that my story was very very similar - high bp found at 25 week check, daily monitoring, protein in the urine, daily scans etc, the baby was not growing quite as well as she should be then I was kept in hospital and got the worst headache of my life overnight on the Saturday night, along with my fingers getting so swollen I couldn't even bend them. My blood pressure was through the roof and they decided to do an emergency c-section that day.

Sophie was 27 weeks exactly when she was born, was 1lb 13.8 and 13 inches long. She was absolutely tiny! I was so scared for her, however she is going to be 5 weeks old on Sunday and now weighs 2lb 11. If you want to talk to anyone who is going through it all right now, please pm me. If you are on facebook there is a fan page for Sophie where you can follow her progress. I have attached her very first photo and a photo taken last weekend at exactly 4 weeks old so you can see the huge difference! It's amazing what they can do for premature babies and I'm sure your niece will be just fine. Congratulations again to you and your family.

Attachments

• first photo.jpg
    first photo.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 33
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 30
Oh and I also had the steroid injections, and they said it makes a HUGE difference. Sophie was already practising for using her lungs on one of the scans we had after the injections and they said the injections had made them strong enough for that already!

Thank you so much everyone! Seeing how well your baby's are doing has given me so much hope & optimism & has truly helped me thru this difficult time!

Your LO's are so cute! Jaycee & Chloe are absolutely gorgeous! And Sophie looks wonderful! Love her name too!

Baby Gianna has gained 2 ounces so far! She is doing well!!

Congratulations. Brilliant weight, am thinking of your niece. Gianna is a lovely name I have never heard of it before, where does it originate from?

Gianna is home, with her family -- where she belongs! She is now 5.5 lbs & was released from the NICU on Monday!

Premmiemum: Gianna is an Italian name & means "God is gracious". There is also a St. Gianna & she is a patron saint of high risk pregnancies after she chose to continue her high risk pregnancy for the sake of her unborn baby

Hurray!! Another happy ending. Give Gianna a hug from us, and congrats to her family :)

Congratulations on the birth of your neice. MOlly was born 11 weeks early too and is now doin gjust fine. Your brother's gorlfriend's story sounds so similar to ours x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->