Giving a dummy/pacifier at 2 weeks

Clo

mum 2 an angel boy, and 2 rainbow boys
Reaction score
I bf my ds1 and introduced a dummy at 5 weeks. It caused no issues and he still fed and gained weight well.

Ds2 is 2 weeks old and I ended up giving him a dummy today. He has a sore bum and keeps pooing in his sleep which is obviously sore and wakes him up screaming. He then wants to comfort feed/feed back to sleep which in turn makes him poo again and it ended up in a vicious cycle earlier this afternoon where he didn't settle for 3 hours and resulted in 6 nappy changes. I ended up giving him a dummy and he settled to sleep right away.

I don't want to give one to him unless it is absolutely necessary because I don't want it to interfere with bfing but I feel like it was beneficial today as it allowed him to settle.

Has anyone else given a dummy so early and it has been ok? xxx

I did at 2 or 3 weeks. I was so against it and scared but she had no problems. My lo just wanted to suck all the time, once my milk was okay, I gave it to her. My nipples were chapped, cracked and sore. I could also tell she wasn't necessarily hungry because she would spit milk out sometimes. She still bfs and has a pacifier, no issues.

Hi! Hope you ok it difunda very stressful. I've done a lot lf research and I think it's fine lots of mums give dummies this early with no nipple confusion. My best friend did. I tried with my LO who is 3 weeks old but she just spits them out. Tried the orthodontic one and the cherry tip one. Which one are you using? X

my baby was very fussy from the start, he had a pacifier at a couple of days and has no problem breastfeeding, we are at 2 months now

My lo is 3 weeks old and he has had a pacifier since the day he was born. We are exclusively breastfeeding quite well. It caused us no problems at all. I did the same with my last ds from day 1 and had no problems at all. I think you'll be fine.

I gave my LO one at about 2 weeks or maybe a bit before. She too would feed and feed and then spit it ALL up so I would give her a dummy to let the milk settle for half an hour or so before her next feed. She never had any confusion, feeds no bother from a bottle or breast and has consistently gained plenty of weight. My health visitor said in 20 years experience she had never come across a baby who won't go back to the breast just because they were given a dummy/bottle. Xx

Hi! Hope you ok it difunda very stressful. I've done a lot lf research and I think it's fine lots of mums give dummies this early with no nipple confusion. My best friend did. I tried with my LO who is 3 weeks old but she just spits them out. Tried the orthodontic one and the cherry tip one. Which one are you using? X

I gave him a MaM dummy because thats the ones we used with ds1 and I got one in a set with the bottles I bought for if/when I need to express. He actually took it no bother and has now just fed fine so I feel a bit better about it now. X

Mine also uses mam dummy and hates the Tommee Tippee ones. Meant to mention earlier that I sometimes wonder if the reason my LO 'nibbles' on me for quite some time after a feed is because she uses a dummy. It means that I am sometimes unsure of when she's actually finished feeding but if she's really hungry she soon lets me know if I take her off too soon ;) xx

Not related to the dummy question but suggestion for the diaper rash.

If you can get Calmoseptine cream from the pharmacist it's like a miracle cream. Starts to Clears up diaper rash in one diaper change for my son . It's so good they use it to heal bed sores on patients in the hospital .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GOVYE6

Not related to the dummy question but suggestion for the diaper rash.

If you can get Calmoseptine cream from the pharmacist it's like a miracle cream. Starts to Clears up diaper rash in one diaper change for my son . It's so good they use it to heal bed sores on patients in the hospital .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GOVYE6

Thank you :) The health visitor is calling tomorrow to see if it has cleared up and if not she was going to get him something stronger...don't know what though so I will ask her about this xxx

They say to wait until six weeks before introducing a dummy or pacifier as it can cause a little confusion, what I used one in the early days and Holly was fine with it. However she only used it a handful of times before she started to reject it as she just wanted my boobs the whole time. Many breastfed babies will reject dummies, but many will also accept them, so I guess it's just trial and error :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->