Giving Birth Options

Lorna230713

Reaction score
I have not been able to make a decision here ladies.
Midwife led unit or Delivery Suite?
The midwife unit is a mile down the road, offers gas and air/pethidine, has water birth facilities, my husband can stay with me, I can have an active birth. No epidurals available and in case of emergency I would have to be transported to Gloucester Hospital, which is 10 miles away.

I keep thinking, Gloucester it is then but babies are born every day in midwife led units - apparently the transfer rate is between 13 and 15 percent. I have had no complications and in good health. I do not usually um and err about things but I'm struggling. What do you think?

I'd go for labour ward as its got everything you need whatever situation, plus alot have pools and other bits. Depends how bothered about your surroundings you are, I'm not bothered about big rooms, tvs etc. but some feel more relaxed in these surrounds as I guess it's more like home. Take the fears of being transferred away and what would you go for? That should be your decision x

Personally, MW led unit all the way. To me the best of both worlds between home birth and hospital. You'll have a more dedicated care team, and in surroundings which are closer to your home surroundings (not good because they're nice, but good because you'll be more relaxed in them which means you're likely to labour better).
That is a low transfer rate - look at it the other way and 85-87% chance of not transferring! And if you did have to, 10 miles is nothing and you'll have a mw in attendance with you, so it's not like just going in on your own.

Im going down the midwife led unit route with the idea that if something goes wrong or i need an epidural we just transfer to labour ward. I think it deoends in what type of birth you want. Id like natural so going to MLU but its my first so im keeping my options open too and not ruling a transfer out xx

I am really struggling with the same decision. Our MLU is a 15-20 min transfer to Maternity hospital. I have been worried about this but really want a water birth and told my MW my worries and she told me she would go to the hospital and not to take the risk, she also said she doesn't agree with homebirths. Now I don't know what to do as just wanted to hear a health professional say it would be ok but she has now made me feel like I'm taking a risk.

First labour was long and slow, needed forceps and vontouse. Second labour was quick and so so easy but I haven't had a baby for 13 years and this is my last baby I so want my water birth but worried something will go wrong. I can't stop thinking and agonizing over the decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->