Giving blood at antenatal appointments?

B

birdiex

Hiya girls :kiss:

I'm just wondering about giving blood. The midwife put it off until my 13wk appointment so I could get some numbing cream, but I'm umming and arr-ing about letting her take the blood in the first place. I read that it's only to check iron levels, blood type, whether I have rubella & my rhesus status. I've had the MMR, so no rubella here, iron can be checked from external markers (paleness of gums, eyes ect) and can they not check my blood type from my previous medical records?

Thanks for your time :kiss:

Do what you feel comfortable with - they need your consent.

There are lots of women who decide not to have any form of testing done at booking - such as giving consent to a HIV test, or other sexually transmitted diseases, or even giving family history or regular urine samples, or fundal hight measurements, or blood pressure readings, or taking a booking weight. It is totally upto you.
If you feel the most of the information they are looking for can be obtained elsewhere, and that is what you want them to do - then that is what they will do.. and if they can't get it from elsewhere and you dont want to be tested, then I'm sure you will have a conversation on the positves and negatives of not having that information - but it is still your choice.
XxX

They won't have tested your blood type routinely in the past unless you've had to have a blood transfusion or you've donated blood. That's the only thing I'd be concerned about, not knowing if you're rhesus negative, that can lead to issues, especially for baby no 2 and onwards, it doesn't usually cause problems in the first baby I don't believe.

One in twenty people vaccinated against Rubella don't stay immune in to adulthood. I work with kids so really wanted to know if I still had immunity. I also think external markers of anemia appear when it has become more severe and it is easier to treat if found early. However it is up to you as you know your body and lifestyle. My midwife was rubbish at taking blood so I kept having to go to the hospital to get it done but the staff there do it all day everyday and it was always so easy and nearly painfree.

Ultimately it's up to you. You can give consent for them to test for certain things and not others too. :)

Hmm, sounds like there are lots of things to consider. I'll have a chat with her about it when go. Thankyou!

Where can you buy numbing cream? Which is the best kind?

hi - can i ask you why you are concerned? i mean, are you against it or just do not like having blood taken? just being curious! :flower:

hi - can i ask you why you are concerned? i mean, are you against it or just do not like having blood taken? just being curious! :flower:

I just hate having blood taken, why do it if they don't need it? :flower:[/QUOTE]

perhaps discuss this with the MW. perhaps she can advise the best time to take the blood so you only have to do it once... just to get the essential results like blood groups ect. i had mine done quite a few times (had obstertic cholestasis so they were watching my liver function) but most of the others were just iron and white blood cell counts

I just hate having blood taken, why do it if they don't need it? :flower:

perhaps discuss this with the MW. perhaps she can advise the best time to take the blood so you only have to do it once... just to get the essential results like blood groups ect. i had mine done quite a few times (had obstertic cholestasis so they were watching my liver function) but most of the others were just iron and white blood cell counts[/QUOTE]

I'm going to chat with her about it, but she's the kind of lady who doesn't like the word 'no'! I don't think she realises that I know I'm allowed to refuse anything I want, so it's really just weighing up the pros and cons. I really would like to know how my iron is doing and my rhesus status, so I suppose I'll have it done this time. Only my iron because I feel wiped out! So I'll have a chat with her and see what she wants to test ect :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->