Giving up smoking

WelshFairy

Taking a break after mc
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it possible to never ever smoke again,
I'm giving up as ttc #1 and admittedly its only day one today of stopping and I believe its gone so well. I just can't see me not having another cigarette.
How do you cope?
How long will it take to feel 'normal' again?

Advice very much appreciated x x

Yes, it is possible to never smoke again! I am proof!

I smoked for about 10 years and tried many times to quit with many different options. One day I finally told myself screw this and stopped. Cold turkey. It was HARD. I would have rather went through long, agonizing labor with no meds than to do that again. I had withdraws like crazy. I associated everything with smoking. Eating, drinking, gum chewing, sex, tv, the computer.. every.thing. A week or so after I stopped I actually sobbed after sex. SOBBED! But then, it started to get easier. The key for me was to stop associating everything I did with smoking. It took awhile, at least 6mths to a year before I really stopped having those thoughts throughout the day about wanting to have one. And I did this while living with a chain smoker!

Within all that time I started noticing that I could smell better, food tasted better and most importantly I could breath. It took quiet some time to get all that crap out of my lungs but it's worth it. I have been smoke free for about 4+ years now. In my opinion, most people need that detoxing period. It is a drug, an addiction. No different than what the alcoholics and drug addicts go through at rehab/detox. And it is worth it. If you can get through at least a year I say you have a real good chance of never picking one up again.

However, I know people who have stopped smoking for 3 years and then started back up again. But to me, it just isn't worth it. The damage it does to your body, the smell that follows you.. can't do it. Will power is the greatest thing in the world and you need to believe in yourself that you do not need that poison to control your life.

I congratulate you on giving it up! And I hope that the rest of your days without smoking will go as well as your first. For some people it is easier than others. As long as you believe you can do it, you can! :hugs:

I just wrote this on another post

"Just wanted to add (for those not pregnant as I don't think you can take them pregnant) But I smoked for over 15yrs and was constantly trying to give up and never succeeded. I finally used Champix from my GP and I haven't smoked for, well it will be 2 yrs this June. I used to be able to smoke over 30 a day and I loved smoking, the social side of it I still miss but I still cant believe how easy it was to stop when taking these tablets. You still smoke and take the tablets and after about 4 days you realise you're not really smoking half as much as before. I went from 30 to 4 in 4 days and then I just stopped"

I also wanted to add, when you have stopped and you're in a queue some where and someone who has just been chuffing on a fag outside desperate to finish it before they pop in the shop walks in the smell is over whelming, it physically makes me feel sick and then I think about how I must have smelled when I was smoking for all those years. I still have doubts and the odd craving but when I smell that smell I'm glad I stopped :)

Thank you both for replying.
I'm now on day 3 and still smokefree. I'm relying on the nicorette inhaler which is working quite nicely. I do find as well I'm not associating things with smoking now. I just can't believe how better I feel.
Thanks a lot!!

Looking forward to being smokefree.

Also for anyone giving up smnoking or thinking about it.

You can pick up a free quit kit from Tesco Pharmacy, Sainsburys etc.
Check the www.smokefree.nhs.uk website for participating stores.

I got one its pretty helpful and informative x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->