Giving up

sophie

Mum of 2 pg with no3!
Reaction score
I was gettin ok up till yesterday afternoon, i dont think ive been latching her on properly and the pain is now unbearable im dreading each feed and im just not enjoyin it.
Am i bein selfish though i feel so guilty taking the boob away from her?

have you seen a lactation consultant? If not I would talk to them first and get them help you latch your little one on properly. Breast feeding takes alot of patience and some skill. So try a few things before you decide to completely take her off. Good luck :)

Definitely ask a consultant like turbo_mom suggested :D they can show you different ways to hold and latch baby properly, so that it is not painful for you. Good luck, you can do it! :winkwink:

Getting them properly latched on is the key. Don't let her nibble the end! Quite a lot of the nipple needs to go in! I found laying on the bed helped and comfy for you. Couldn't the midwife help you to latch on? Its up to you , those first days can be difficult but if you can persevere I think its worth it. Good luck.:hi:

have u tried lying on ur side an feedin her hun? this really helped me see how it was going in chloes mouth an felt easier, if u cant manage, its ok tho hun :hugs: u tried xx

I know how awful the pain of breast feeding can be when you first start... and it can be so disheartening if it's something that you really wanted to do.

My sister was in so much pain with her first baby - she ended up with cracked nipples and then to top it all off he got thrush in his mouth, which she then got on her nipples!

But you can do it, hun. The thing is not to give up! Keep at it and you will get there - even though it seems so futile and painful now - 99% of women are able to breast feed if they just get through the initial problems and then it can be the most enjoyable experience for both of you (not to mention the health benefits to both of you!)

I would definately reccomend that before giving up, you go and see a consultant or ask your health visitor or midwife about it... then at least you'll know you tried everything you could.

Don't feel guilty if you really can't do it - you tried and that's the thing that matters. Although there are some benefits to breastfeeding (providing antibodies to help your little one fight infections, unlocking the 'clever gene' to increase her IQ, and helping you burn fat and tighten up your uterus etc...) nobody ever suffered too greatly as a result of not being breastfed - and whatever happens, just remember that it will all be okay in the long run.

Best of luck, Sophy.

Thanks girls, my MW has been and we have talked about shes showed me again an im gonna keep tryin and see how i go! I know its the latching on thats a problem ill see how i go!
xx

aww hun dont feel guilty if you want to give up hun, sometimes its the best thing to do if it makes you less stressed then it will make Rio less stressed.

Sophie, all the best, keep trying hun and I hope the lactation consultant was helpful. Let us know how it goes, we know it's not easy at all! If it still becomes unbearable but you wish to breastfeed, perhaps you could try using a nipple guard, the lil plastic ones. (HUGS)

Good luck! I hope it works out for you but if it doesn't remember that it doesn't work out for a lot of women--it doesn't make you a bad mother in the least if you choose to stop breast feeding :hugs:

Oh, I know how you feel... BF seems awkward and unnatural if you can't get the right latch... But when you do..! It's one of the lovliest things of motherhood (IMO).

Here's a quick video to reinforce what your MW should be showing you.

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/FifteenMinuteHelper.html

Have you tried Lansinoh ? its about £ 10 but worth every penny.

Sophie how are things going now. I am having the same problems as you and it has become unbearable! I have a meeting with a consultant tomorrow but in all honesty I think I have given up :(

I forgot to update this. I did both bottle and breast for about a week and a half but Rios such a hungry baby and i just couldnt cope with her on the boob all the time, with havin Kai to think off too.
Mango if u can keep it up then def do cos i was so dissapointed about givin up, but i tried and it wasnt for me! but dont feel bad if u need to give up, its whats best for u and baby that counts.

Rio's fine and puttin on weight lovely and shes havin 5 ozs every 3-4 hrs so u can see what a little piglet she is lol.

My mum is a lactation consultant, and she helped my cousin to breastfeed. She recommended rolling your nipple into the babies mouth, it opens the babies mouth wider and enables the nipple to be in the right position for breastfeeding.
Does that make sense?

I forgot to update this. I did both bottle and breast for about a week and a half but Rios such a hungry baby and i just couldnt cope with her on the boob all the time, with havin Kai to think off too.
Mango if u can keep it up then def do cos i was so dissapointed about givin up, but i tried and it wasnt for me! but dont feel bad if u need to give up, its whats best for u and baby that counts.

Rio's fine and puttin on weight lovely and shes havin 5 ozs every 3-4 hrs so u can see what a little piglet she is lol.

that is what I always wonder 'bout!

I mean with one it is fine, if LO is attached to the boob 24/7 and mummy is on the sofa the entire day, watching the tv programmes up and down!

but what if there is another one, you have to look after?

I can imagine that it is very difficult :hi:

Sophie, you've given your wee one a great start with the breastfeeding you gave her, glad to hear she's thriving.

Mickey - well I'm 9wks in to feeding a little one with another child to look after as well and touch wood it's not too bad at all. You do need to be organised with things you can do with the other child (in my case my daughter is 2 yrs old) and I don't get a minute to myself until they both go to bed at 7pm. As the newborn gets older and more efficient at feeding it helps and I admit that the newborn gets put back in their moses basket/rocking chair/playmat more so that the other child gets 1-2-1 attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->