Glucose Testing in Pregnancy

They test everyone in the US for it, it's just a basic test if you are pregnant.

Personally, I would either take the test and find out, or really watch my diet and exercise regularly. The results of the test are not always reliable because a person can control diabetes with diet. Obviously it's bothering you. It's your body and your baby. You have the right to say no to an induction or a cesarean if it's not medically necessary! If it is necessary for you or your baby's life or health, of course you would do it.

When my neice was born, it wasn't common for dr. to test for it. She weighed nearly 11 pounds. My sister had her vaginally and naturally at a hospital. Besides having an excruciating labor and birth, both of them are fine. But the girl has been overweight her whole life and has had very high sugar.

I understand what it feels like to be high risk. I'm having mono di twins, and my Dr. says I can't go past 38 weeks without being induced. I really REALLY don't want to be induced, so I'm standing up for myself. As long as my body, placenta, etc. is functioning fine and my babies are fine, I see no reason for it. I've also known all along the higher incidence of cesarean with twins. They are just facts that you deal with and stay positive about. However, I DO want to be informed about the health of myself and my babies for prevention sake.

They test everyone in the US for it, it's just a basic test if you are pregnant.

Personally, I would either take the test and find out, or really watch my diet and exercise regularly. The results of the test are not always reliable because a person can control diabetes with diet. Obviously it's bothering you. It's your body and your baby. You have the right to say no to an induction or a cesarean if it's not medically necessary! If it is necessary for you or your baby's life or health, of course you would do it.

When my neice was born, it wasn't common for dr. to test for it. She weighed nearly 11 pounds. My sister had her vaginally and naturally at a hospital. Besides having an excruciating labor and birth, both of them are fine. But the girl has been overweight her whole life and has had very high sugar.

I understand what it feels like to be high risk. I'm having mono di twins, and my Dr. says I can't go past 38 weeks without being induced. I really REALLY don't want to be induced, so I'm standing up for myself. As long as my body, placenta, etc. is functioning fine and my babies are fine, I see no reason for it. I've also known all along the higher incidence of cesarean with twins. They are just facts that you deal with and stay positive about. However, I DO want to be informed about the health of myself and my babies for prevention sake.

Thank you very very much for your response. My past birth experiences consisted of several medically unnecessary interventions and that has definitly shaped my current opinions on things like GDM. And while now, I do feel much more educated and assertive going into this pregnancy, I still feel a bit reluctant to add to the things to be assertive about if that makes sense. I guess I was really afraid of not being able to say no to unnecessary interventions (eg c-section for macrosomia) but after thinking deeper into it and considering what you said I think I could very well stand up for myself if that situation did arise.

And overall, I do try my best to eat healthy and be as active as I can (though I do admit during this first trimester I haven't been able to tear myself away from being :sick: clinging to the toilet bowl to truly consider myself active... but I am beginning to feel better now and am slowly starting to get back into the swing of things)... But I do have a family history of diabetes so I am aware of my risks and the influence lifestyle has on myself and children and that has been in my mind for several years now.

I do admit I'm still on the fence in regards to the whole thing, but I am in deeper consideration of the screen as an option right now. Good thing I still have a few months to decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->