• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Glycerin suppositories

makecaker

mummy of 2, broody
Reaction score
I gave birth 10 days ago. The first couple of days I went to the toilet fine.
But the last few days I have had a severe pain in my bum. It hurts sometimes when I sit down or stand up and going to the toilet for a number 2 is excrutiating! I did manage to go a little though but the pain was equal to giving birth only without the gas and air! It made me sick it was that bad! So I have been to the drs and after a rather embarrassing examination she came to the conclusion that nothing was painful but she could feel hard stools so it must be constipation. She has given me lactalose and a glycerin suppository. She has told me to take 3-4 spoonfuls of lactalose instead of the 2 it says then to take pain relief and a few hours later to use the suppository. But again she has told me to use 2 rather than just one. She also said it will be extremely painful when I go and to do it squatting in a bucket or in the bath full of warm water....lovely I know! I'm kinda of glad she was truthful but then again she has completely scared me!

Anyone have any experience? I have taken the lactalose and I have always had the feeling to go that's not the problem but she said although I can go there is a build up of stools that I need to clear to stop the pain...

I should probably say I have never had constipation before so I have no idea what it feels like....

Do suppositories soften to make it easier to go or do they just make you pass whatever is in there??

I had an episiotomy with my little gal and after the medication wore off I hurt soooo bad. I was dreading the first bowel movement and I was hoping to make it to the 'magic' 2 week marker before I had to do the deed. I did not make it that far. :nope: On day 10 PP, I tried to go on and off all day, but the double dose of stool softener I had been taking since the day I gave birth was not doing a good enough job. My poor DH went to Walk-Mart at 1:30 in the morning to get me glycerin suppositories and and enema kit as a backup after we had called the maternity ward and asked what to do... My stomach was cramping terribly and my stitches were pulling and actually bleeding when I would try to go. Less than 3 minutes after I used the suppository I was able to go. For me it made easier to go, but also basically cleared out 10 days of food. Good luck to you! :thumbup:

The pain that I have been feeling in my bum is worse than giving birth, no exaggeration! It makes me feel sick and like I'm going to pass out! It only lasts a few secs at a time though, I'm scared to take the suppository incase it makes the pain last ages and there will be nothing I can do about it. Think I will just have to do it though, the lactalose is just giving me a poorly tummy aswell as the pain

I had this problem with second eldest. The glycerin suppository kind of lubricates everything so it slides out and is more comfortable but doesn't soften the stool itself so it can hurt afterwards a bit, the worst thing though is when you put it in you're meant to wait 20 minutes before pooing everything out otherwise it may not be as effective-it's pretty horrid as your body will try and push it out. If you're not breastfeeding then alongside what has been advised then you can try something called colpermin it's designed for IBS but is totally safe and is just pure peppermint oil in a reinforced capsule that opens in your bowel, it can really help to reset everything and make you more regular and banish the constipation for good. If you're breastfeeding you can take it too and it never caused me any problems but bear in mind it's not advised as contains peppermint oil which can cut milk supply; as the capsule contents aren't absorbed at all by the body though it is highly highly unlikely to cause any problem at all xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->